• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My friend is restoring an old toyota to be a good looking trail rig

vanguard

That rock walker guy
It's never going to rival some of the nicest restorations you'll find in the hot rod world or even on pirate. However, I think he's doing pretty well. It's his first real project and even his first hardcore 4x4 effort.

Before: (just like new, only driven to church on Sundays)
02a.jpg

04a.jpg

Cleaning things up:
DSC00531.jpg

DSC00572.jpg

He asked the forum for help on an exocage design:
NoBed-1.jpg

New motor:
aa026.jpg

He's had a lot of help from friends along the way. Here they are breaking in the shocks. laughing1
th_10b51383.jpg

(more coming)

Paint:
a091-1.jpg

Lot's of time doing this:
a109.jpg

I built the front axle for him. It came to me with all the parts in milk crates or in wrappers and it was missing a bunch of bolts. In the end I spent another $50 on it but it's as good as new.
a114.jpg

It's starting to look like a truck:
a159.jpg

Shifter boots:
DSC01200.jpg

P2160298.jpg

P2170316.jpg

Chevy 1 wire alternator:
P7231561.jpg

P7231565.jpg

This picture is out of sequence but it gives you an idea of what it looks like:
a168.jpg

Last night they got it running on propane for the first time. I'm excited for him so I thought I'd share.

What is with orange yota's? Not hating on it, but seems like I see a lot of them around.

bigsilly said:
What is with orange yota's? Not hating on it, but seems like I see a lot of them around.

Everyone wants to be like Jamie... bad-azz orange yota... good lookin' wife that's got mad cookin' skillz... Sweet crib in teh country! thumb.gif

It's the only orange toyota in my crowd but you're right, I do see them around the net. As for the wheel spacers, he has them installed now but I don't have a good picture of the new stance.

They are still working on this rig about 4 times a week. Last weekend they got it running and last night they finished plumbing the brakes. (I'm not sure if they are bled.)

P7281604.jpg

If the girl shows up in another picture I'll post the pic but I don't think she comes around all the often. BTW, it has wheel spacers now.

They caged it this weekend.
puddin062.jpg

Seat belt harness bar:
puddin073.jpg

Bed:
puddin078.jpg

Winch mount and front bumper:
puddin075-1.jpg

Side view:
puddin071.jpg

He should be on the trail before too long. He needs longfields, gauges, wiring, exhaust, and interior. It runs (on propane) now and the brakes all work so that implies that most of the plumbing is done.

MUCHADO said:
hey I thought the word was reso not hack-sho fabbermakate!!! :flipoff1:
Yeah, the earlier pics made me think restoration but as I look closer I see dents and a rough paint job. Having said that, they look like they are doing a nice job, even if it's a bit heavy compared to some of the other small toyotas.