• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My Low Pinion reAlly a puss?

That's what I would like to do. At 1600 I can assure you the transfer case will not be getting regeared .. After wheels tires and fixing the loose Pinion bearing , I should be in the poorhouse for year so... think I'm going to order bearings to just fix the loose bearing for now. Is it necessary to set up the gears again? I have read that 90% of the time its right but it's a good idea to re check the gears to make sure they are correct. And I have felt like it's a little under geared, even in low when putting a tire on a rock I have to give it a pretty good bit of gas to get it going. Nothing to bad though.

kushKrawlin said:
That's what I would like to do. At 1600 I can assure you the transfer case will not be getting regeared .. After wheels tires and fixing the loose Pinion bearing , I should be in the poorhouse for year so... think I'm going to order bearings to just fix the loose bearing for now. Is it necessary to set up the gears again? I have read that 90% of the time its right but it's a good idea to re check the gears to make sure they are correct. And I have felt like it's a little under geared, even in low when putting a tire on a rock I have to give it a pretty good bit of gas to get it going. Nothing to bad though.

Yes, re-check gear pattern and adjust as needed (check it before you pull it apart too).

doubler or re-gear down the road.

Is all this double beadlock crap with the 43 sticky tsl's due to tire/wheel combo issue, or is it what I think it is, which is how most people that have 43 stickies drive? Bouncers.....horsepower and momentum, bouncing off big rocks side to side wide open beating the **** out of their rig.....that sounds to me like the reason so many recommend double beadlocks. Unless you are throwing down wide open hill assaults, I just can't see why a double beadlock would really be necessary? Maybe it's a shitty wheel design that some of them are running?

:dunno:

TacomaJD said:
Is all this double beadlock crap with the 43 sticky tsl's due to tire/wheel combo issue, or is it what I think it is, which is how most people that have 43 stickies drive? Bouncers.....horsepower and momentum, bouncing off big rocks side to side wide open beating the **** out of their rig.....that sounds to me like the reason so many recommend double beadlocks. Unless you are throwing down wide open hill assaults, I just can't see why a double beadlock would really be necessary? Maybe it's a shitty wheel design that some of them are running?

:dunno:

I have older steel allied's and the sucked, I'm no bouncer either. Another guy had same problem w Scott Langs old jeep (same combo)

JRowe said:
I have older steel allied's and the sucked, I'm no bouncer either. Another guy had same problem w Scott Langs old jeep (same combo)

Come to think about it, I rode with Scott a bunch back in the day and I remember him unseating a bead at MSORP. I may still have a picture of it on photofuckit.

Found it...

Then this happened lol

zukimaster said:
I was riding shotgun in that pic! that was hangtime

Lol I was wondering where you were, saw Jake, Tony, and Alan, but not you. Couldn't remember, that's been a while ago. Dammit I miss that place. :'(

Re:

Some tires might just have a habit of doing that. I know my 39 iroks blow inner beads on beadlocks more than anything else I've seen and I've been reading lately that they're known for that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Re: Re: My Low Pinion reAlly a puss?

Damn you gon dump 3g on tires what's the problem with a little extra to double lock em??? The sidewall is beef on them tho..........I heard that's why they unseat b/c its so thick it won't drop behind the retainer ring/hump on the inner lip

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

Guys, I am looking at a rig listed on here and it has a LP axle. Since the opinions vary so much depending on what people use for gears, tires, engine, driving style etc I wanted to see what you all thought on this one. I know alot of feedback in this thread on the taller gears being weaker. Am I asking for problems and broken parts with the stickies and small block???? I am NOT a bouncer type driver.

Axles:
Rear axle - Chevy 14 bolt FF, 5.38's, professionally welded gears, Pinion guard, 1/2 ton disc brakes
Front Axle - King Pin Dana 60 LP, 5.38's, Detroit locker, CTM u-joints, and 4340 chromoly 35 spline inner outer axle shafts, 1/2 ton disc brakes, high steer

Tires & Wheels:
(4) 40" Procomp Stickies XCC's With 90% Tread -
(4) 20" Trail Ready HD Beadlocks

Powertrain:
TBI 350 -
SM465 4 Speed Manual Transmission
Low Max Dana 300 Twin Stick Transfer Case, 32 Spline Rear Output, And Stock Front.

Crazier things have happened but I would think the front output on your d300 would let go before the front R&P

I'd worry more about the case than the lomax gears. I cant recall ever hearing of a set of lomax gears breaking.

Re:

I ran 538s with 39red's half full of water, D300 built, Dodge 5.9, TF727 and no problems. The rig even won KOTH the year it was entered. That same setup went into the Mazda and again no drivetrain breakage.

Re:

Rokcrler said:
I ran 538s with 39red's half full of water, D300 built, Dodge 5.9, TF727 and no problems. The rig even won KOTH the year it was entered. That same setup went into the Mazda and again no drivetrain breakage.

How'd you like running water? I know the AZ guys swear by it.

I was thinkin of trying it out in the Gremlin when I get the motor back in it.

Re:

We ran water in a comp buggy and then I ran it in both other rigs mentioned. Water was free opposed to weight ballast. It would let me make stupid climbs by planting weight and pulling the rig up. The best level I found was to the bottom of the hub

Latest posts