• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My new tow rig...

I did and it seems fine. I was debating with myself on swapping it out, since there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it, I decided to save the money and skip it. With my luck I'm sure I will end up regretting that decision in a few thousand miles. :redneck:

When I was changing the belt I noticed that the hex in the fan clutch was a bit rounded, so it has been off some point. The truck had an aftermarket thermostat in it also, so someone has been in there. About the only reason to pull to fan clutch (aisde from replacing it) would be to replace the water pump, so I'm wondering if the pump has been swapped out before.

Took the 5th wheel down to Seaside last weekend. I noticed the trans temp creeping over 200* on some of the steeper grades down on Hwy 30. Since I put the gauges in I haven't had any issues with trans temp yet, empty the it usually runs around 140* and it stays around 170* when towing the trailer at hwy/freeway speeds.

Since we are planning a trip east of the mountains later in the summer, I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to throw a cooler on it. I ended up pulling the big ass Tru-Cool Max 40k gvw cooler and the Derale remote filter off the OBS and put them on the new truck, so I should be good to go now.

I also found out that apparently the 550's do not route the trans fluid through a heat exchanger in the radiator, it just ran straight to the factory cooler.

Yeah, I wasn't immediately worried about it, but since it jumped that quickly when it was only 60* outside and the hills were not that long, I figured I would probably be running into issues east of the mountains going up the pass or pulling the hill at Vantage when it is 90*+ outside.

Tranny cooler is working well. I towed the trailer down the Oregon coast last week and never got above 180*, even pulling some long hills in 90* heat it was good.

I ordered a Water/Meth injection kit the other day also. It should help keep the EGTs down on those long grades.

Glad you brought this up, Les. I've had mine hit 195 a couple times and had wondered if that was normal.

Since I had my trans built, I have a hard time getting it to 170 on the longest of grades, pulling the wheeler, with the camper on...Used to be fairly easy to hit 200-215 range when pulling the same hills..

I just got done installing my water/methanol injection.I went with a Cooling Mist Stage 1 kit.

I bought a 7 gallon tank and mounted it under the bed.
20150725_114117.jpg

I used a RV tank flush kit as a fill point for the tank. I mounted it up inside the bed.
20150725_114041.jpg

I can fill it with a chunk of hose and a funnel.
20150725_160753.jpg

I drilled and tapped the spider to mount the injector.
20150725_160813.jpg

It is set to come on when the truck is making 10psi of boost. I don't want it to be on all the time, I just want to be able to switch it on when I am towing hills, so I mounted a switch on the dash. I put an indicator light on to show when the pump is actually running.
20150725_175343.jpg