• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My New Tow Rig

algranger

I've been wanting a full size diesel for some time now but seeing as i'm a poor college kid I couldnt pull it off. Well it finally happened. Browsing craigslist late one night i stumbled upon an 85 F-250 Diesel for super cheap.. thought that cant be right.. so i talked to the seller asap sure enought it was about $2k underpriced. He was an older guy, this had been his farm truck for a while and the original owner was his friend. He said it was "rough" headliner missing, dented up, not stereo, etc. So i shot up to Port Angeles and picked it up for $900 :fawkdancesmiley:

She's not rough at all, pretty clean imo

ghetto-fab027.jpg

ghetto-fab030.jpg

77k on the clock (turns over at 100k) Int. 6.9 diesel Laramie XLT super clean interior.. i'm pretty stoked

Best of all, i wont hvae to drive this rolling death trap to school and work anymore

ghettofab180.jpg

What's wrong with the rolling death trap dude? haha ...

Hey quick question, is that diesel carbed :mad: :fawkdancesmiley:

Haha your a ****.

Time to install black smoke!

Was reading about turning up an adjuster screw in the fuel pump to make it smoke like a chimney but i dont wanna start screwing with her since she is fine as is

For $900, if it runs,drives and stops decently, and 4x4 works---good deal!!! Even with the IDI 6.9, if it's turned up abit, will pull better than any small-blocked truck...

I have a used ATS turbo kit for the 6.9/7.3 that I'd like to sell off. Bought it for my E-350 but afterward found that it won't fit in a van chassis. $750 if you're interested.

Those IDI motors aren't too bad. Mine served me well for years. Be sure to look in to the coolant additive that helps prevent cavitation damage. Is that a manual or auto?

Sadly its got a c6 auto i was reading about swapping in a 5 spd from a 7.3 idi might do that down the road

I'd love to take the turbo kit off your hands but i'm pretty well broke for the time being.

Last edited:
Time to install black smoke!
Was reading about turning up an adjuster screw in the fuel pump to make it smoke like a chimney but i dont wanna start screwing with her since she is fine as is

in those non turbo motors it will only gain you a couple HP, and will most likely result in detonated pistons

I have a used ATS turbo kit for the 6.9/7.3 that I'd like to sell off.

i had a 90 F350 with a non turbo IDI 7.3 5speed with an ATS turbo kit. didnt really motivate that much and the turbo sounded like a really pissed off parakeet at most. but damn that thing rolled some coal. fun truck til the motor had a valve stick. then i just traded that for my dodge my dodge my dodge.

btw, the most boost pressure youll see on that 6.9 with a turbo kit is about 11lbs... thats WITH the fuel pressure screw turned all the way out.

Good to hear from someone who has experience. I figure she's a good trusty truck and will haul most any trailer as is so i will just leave her stock.

I really wanted a Cummins 24 valve but i'd be in a little deeper than $900

Sadly its got a c6 auto i was reading about swapping in a 5 spd from a 7.3 idi might do that down the road

There is NOTHING wrong with a c-6; can hardly kill 'em!:D

I'd love to take the turbo kit off your hands but i'm pretty well broke for the time being.

in those non turbo motors it will only gain you a couple HP, and will most likely result in detonated pistons

i had a 90 F350 with a non turbo IDI 7.3 5speed with an ATS turbo kit. didnt really motivate that much and the turbo sounded like a really pissed off parakeet at most. but damn that thing rolled some coal. fun truck til the motor had a valve stick. then i just traded that for my dodge my dodge my dodge.

btw, the most boost pressure youll see on that 6.9 with a turbo kit is about 11lbs... thats WITH the fuel pressure screw turned all the way out.
11psi boost in a stock 6.9 would be borderline on the head gaskets...my understanding is no more than 7-8 psi if you expect the motor to live any length...

11psi boost in a stock 6.9 would be borderline on the head gaskets...my understanding is no more than 7-8 psi if you expect the motor to live any length...

oh yeah, 11lbs would pop the head gaskets real fast. even on a factory turbo'd 7.3 IDI 8lbs is extreme.

Good to hear from someone who has experience. I figure she's a good trusty truck and will haul most any trailer as is so i will just leave her stock.

I really wanted a Cummins 24 valve but i'd be in a little deeper than $900

the 6.9 and 7.3 are motors that will never die. good strong motors but dont expect to go over stevens any faster than say 45 or 50.

the 6.9 and 7.3 are motors that will never die. good strong motors but dont expect to go over stevens any faster than say 45 or 50.

Yep one of the guys in my club has one of these and it will pull all day on any hill but not over 35 mph :booo: did better when it had the turbo but it fried one side of the motor.:booo:

Yep one of the guys in my club has one of these and it will pull all day on any hill but not over 35 mph :booo: did better when it had the turbo but it fried one side of the motor.:booo:

Dogpound?

Yeah mid to late 90's Cummins coming when i'm done with school