• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My new tow rig...

Zoediak

So... I finally got rid of my 2005 mustang for a much needed and overdue truck/ tow rig...

I ended up getting a 2007 chevy 2500hd. It is a gasser. 6.0

But it is good shape...

I will post a pic as soon as I can....

:awesomework:

Here is a pic:

b6059d4c.jpg

:D

Last edited:
I love my 6.0! great engine.....pulls like a slave bitch.....but likes her fuel.

yeah.. I got a good deal for it.. only had to pay 15k so that wasn't too bad.. it is under book...

I was looking at some of the full size boxes, but i really didn't need it...

I can still fit my quad in the back, can still haul a 5th wheel when I need to... so all in all.. it does way more than the Mustang ever did...

now.. time to look to accessories....:awesomework:

They pull great in 2nd gear at 6000:rolleyes: Not a bad looking rig. Friend had a 6.0 and we pulled my boat with because it was a crew cab. it would pull the 5% hills at 70 but tacked out. The fuel mileage SUCKED. But it was comfy!

Oh dont wory about the tick in the engine they all do that.

yeah.. luckily this one has the factory tow package, which also included the tranny temp gauge in the instrument cluster...

so that will help while towing anything..

I think one of the first things I will be doing is adding the leveling kit...

then I just have to figure out what tires/wheels I want to run on it..

I am just glad to be driving a chevy again...

yeah.. luckily this one has the factory tow package, which also included the tranny temp gauge in the instrument cluster...

so that will help while towing anything..

I think one of the first things I will be doing is adding the leveling kit...

then I just have to figure out what tires/wheels I want to run on it..

I am just glad to be driving a chevy again...

Just be careful about what size/how big of tire you go---much larger than the stock size, and any power you might have had towing will be out the window in a heartbeat....:awesomework:
O, and the tickin' noise (they don't all do that)---->could be a broken valve spring--fairly simple repair;

"ticking" was just for the 01-02 6.0's and it was pistons slap.. Chevrolet fixed that problem in 03.. Never heard of the valve spring problem though.

I don't know that I'd level it off, unless you plan on running airbags as well. But I wouldn't suggest doing that either unless you plan on hauling a lot of weight in the bed.. Definitely no bigger then 285's for tires..

We stock a few valve springs at work for this...:; But now that you mention it, it has always been on the early ones!:redneck:

ahh good to know about the tire size...

i was curious about what range of a tire I should get for it... and if I will have to do anything with the programming to make sure the speedo is correct...

first truck in a while...

I don't expect to haul massive heavy loads, mainly tow a trailer with the jeep on it, and/or a goose-neck now and again....

or my mom's 5th wheel when she wants it moved... haha

oh.. and I don't have any ticking noises...

I got a good deal on the truck... got it for 16k, so I can't complain about too much...

currently, I did a short run down to Portland and back and ended up getting 14.9 MPG

This truck still needs to have its tune-up done, as the previous owner did everything except that.. which is fine, I will probably do that this next week.

So I would expect that my milage should go up a little bit once that is done...

or I hope it does...

haha

currently, I did a short run down to Portland and back and ended up getting 14.9 MPG

This truck still needs to have its tune-up done, as the previous owner did everything except that.. which is fine, I will probably do that this next week.

So I would expect that my mileage should go up a little bit once that is done...

Mileage is a direct correlation to speed driven with big trucks. I found that anything over 65 mph, the mileage would start to go down on my '02 6.0L.

I rarely drove mine empty on the highway. Once I was able to squeak about 16.5 mpg out of it at about 60 mph.

I loved the truck, but sold it because I switched over to a truck camper and needed a D/A dually .

Nice, I like the tail lights on those trucks. :awesomework:

yeah.. I like the look too...

just need to do a few things to it...

#1 tune-up

#2 replace cloth seats with leather (PO was not the best on the seats and i really don't like cloth seats)

#3 continue the hunt for a good hood, (mine has a dent in it that I don't like and is not repairable)

#4 probably switch over to a HID lighting system

#5 new tires/wheels

and so on.... and so on...

man... seems like a wheeler... just always find new things to dump money into and change/upgrade :mad:

but, the order of things is not exactly set in stone, except for #1

Just a little food for thought to get your juices flowing. The 6.0 (LQ4) can easily be built to 450+ hp for 800$ or so. The GM LS series are like legos and your engine is 75% the same as a vette. Mill the stock heads (or switch to 5.3 243 heads), cam and a tune and 450hp is very easy to achieve without removing the engine. Bottom end is rock solid and you can actually pick up some mpg too. Check out ls1tech.com or ls1truck.com.

sweet.. I will check that out...

I was actually wondering if I could get more than the 300 hp that they say this has, and of course always looking for a little better mpg.. hahahaha

but then again, it is a truck..