• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My Toy, My Toy, My Toy!!!!!

Got the relays today. Did not realize when I ordered them that they were 5 pin relays.
nice.

I will start wiring when my hangover from Sunday leaves. Or maybe when my Party from Sunday leaves.. LOl:fawkdancesmiley:

I have been thinking about putting a windshield back in it.
I really want to.
I think that I will have more versatile use for the truck if I can make a nice warm cabin for the Ol'lady.:awesomework:

However, I really don't want to worry about glass. :haha:

I guess we'll see.

I am going to put the drivetrain in the vehicle for some fitting next.
I am so excited.
it's getting closer :cool:
cheers

I have got a skosch done this weekend....
IMG_6173_zpsb8084a0d.jpg
[/URL]

I need to pick up some 10 ga. wire and some more connectors.
But I'm movin along!
:redneck:

Awesome to see Stumpy still kicking around!!! Sorry about the whole first gen frame with the second gen body thing....my bad...
That was my first attempt at a mis matched mess. Though, none of the chassis is my doing. Just the horse collar clearance and bed bobb!

Yeah, I got the drivetrain mounted again this weekend . It is time to start making sure all of the little stuff fits with it stuffed full of Subaru up front.

I keep forgetting to pick up bearings for the front Detroit.
I have to see about all of this dash/tunnel stuff now that it is all back in there as well.
cheers

Checking out the fit and throw of the LC engineering short throw, and my twin sticks.

Top view

Looking at the angle of the dangle for my panel. It is either going here, or on the cage near the roof above our heads.

Been doing stuff.:haha:
cheers

I am working slowly forward on the steering and dash setup. A buddy of mine stopped by , and we worked our way through a mechanical steering issue. Actually having it! LOL

Just enough room to sneak a box in there.
Picked one up from a guy down south here.
Just after I had sold the one I had for years to another member here LOL

Gonna have to tap the box, Get a drag link for high steer, and make the steering shaft fit past the valve cover......
Then I can make sure I have mechanical steering.
And have hydro assist.
I got to thinking about it, and just really like the idea of mechanical steering.
It just pays tribute to building off of a stock geometry your first go round so that you can learn your limits as to what is allowable at certain stages of progression.
cheers

Ha! Saw a piece of Stumpy up where we shoot and was wondering how it was going! :hi:

Awesome to see Stumpy still kicking around!!! Sorry about the whole first gen frame with the second gen body thing....my bad...
That was my first attempt at a mis matched mess. Though, none of the chassis is my doing. Just the horse collar clearance and bed bobb!

Yeah, I really really like the look of it. I think that pretty much is why I traded for it.:haha: My buddy and I do some work to it before we paint.

I'd like to get it lower though, not , no more uptravel low, just a few inches.
I am gonna change some shackles out this weekend and see what happens.

Welp, I took bunks advice and added the back plate.
I had a hard time matching the angles and the tube slot.
This is the first plate I made.

I was way short on the front side for the spring hanger.
It was lopsided actually due to the compound angle.
So after figuring out that the slot would not work with the top measurement different from the bottom measurement, I cut another hole.

I cut that hole smaller than the first hole(1 5/8 as opposed to 1 3/4).
and had the depth to the front pretty dialed to were I could set the plate in and rotate the front down, and hit where I wanted to. Knowing I was gonna have to make a shim to slide in from the bottom and be substantial enough to weld to.

sO I got that figured out, and mocked up the sleeve threaded pieces I have

The one directly in the middle from front to back does not belong there.it is simply the base spacer I was working off of.

I got the cope way better then the first time.:eeek:

Anyways, had a few hours, and thought I would share.
cheers

Last edited:
I got the mounts, and everything done, box fits well, and is functional. But I am having a hard time understanding how to center my pitman arm. Like I am used to, I dropped the ball and did not mark it before I took it off the first time.

So, I have a few questions. how far left, and right should my tires move? I realize that at the end of one of the strokes the tires will be askew.

I have everything bolted up, and on jack stands. There are no limiting factors besides the centering of the pitman arm. I think. :haha:

Here are some pics.
all the way passenger

all the way driver

without the box mounted

I will continue to play with it and search more obviously.
Any help is appreciated.
Hey Seth, that steering linkage fits perfect!

It almost seems like the tie -rod is the wrong size.DDOn't get me wrong, I have never dealt with this type of steering until now.
And may have verry well fawked up. But the more I look at it, the more the tie rod pains me.lol
cheers

Last edited:
Your drag link was made for a stock toyota frame which is narrower between the front spring hanger and front body mount. Your frame has the box mounted on the outside of the spring hanger so you'll need to either cut and sleeve the drag link longer, get a new drag link made or cut the whole mounting section out and move the box inwards like factory.

Personally I'd move the steering box since everyone has issues rubbing tires on the steering box even with it mounted in the factory location. It isn't a big issue until you have hydro assist lines coming out of the box getting hit by tire lugs.

Thanks for the advice to look at the tire interference over there at full stuff.
I got it as pulled down and jacked up as I can until I pull a few springs out to actually test it.
I do know now I need a flat pitman arm. :haha::awesome-work

I may sleeve the the drag link, but I also measured the TRE threads.That measurement of 2 7/8ths worth of thread makes me less hesitant to just use it.When I finally started using my head about noon today , I started understanding how to get the rig cycling left and right proper.

I also found a guy that tapped into some meat on the more forward side of the box instead of the side. It works well I guess. Mounting the box flatter than on a factory frame helped as well.
So that part I am less worried about now that we have talked about it.:awesomework:

Last edited:
more steering progress

So I adapted-the aftermarket mounting bracket to my stock mounting locatin for the TC style pump. Still need to add stiffening to some of the other mounting points originally insued by Subaru.

Then modified the stock Alternator mounting bracket to push the alternator essentially upside down.

Also obviously ran some string to help give me a basic line up. It appears that it will work out. I haev some bracket mounts to run from the drivers side for the Alt. adjustment. And Am gonna be able to run a stock Subaru bbelt tensiner in the ,middle of all of it.

Withe stock-ish steering getting done, and the hopes of the steering pump working out , It think I am closer than ever!
cheers

After chipotle fried pork chops and tater salad, I am gonna start the bracket extravaganza.
And start laying out the wiring harness.
Should be fun, I will pos pics later.
cheers