• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My Yota/Sammi/Hayabusa build (update on page 2)

AW10

I know the last thing some of you want to hear coming through the woods is another damn street bike motor buggy but I love em and after 2 years of building it I FINALLY have it done. I have nothing to do tonight and a lot of pics so I figured id post this up. Keep in mind that this was built on a budget so when you see some hack job parts... don't be surprised. I have more money now than i did 2 years ago when we put the motor in so I plan on fixing those parts in due time. Ill keep it short and let the pics talk but if you have any questions on how something works after you see the pics just post em up. Also would like to point out that I have done very little work myself because I had no idea how to do it :dunno: My friend ( not sure if he wants his name on here ) did everything involving the motor and cage ( his 1st one ), then I had Essentially Off road finish it up with the 4-link and building the axles.

Specs
2007 Suzuki Hayabusa motor. 1.3 liter inline 4, 175hp 100ft lb, red line a little north of 11,000 rpm. with a 6 speed trans built in ( like most bike motors ).
Sammi Trans
Sammi Transfer case (stock)
85 Yota front axle with IFS hubs, 30 spline longfields, longfield flanges, yukon spool, trail gear high steer arms, 4.10 gears, disc brakes
IFS rear Yota axle, stock shafts, yukon spool, 4.10 gears, disc brakes
Full Hydraulic steering, Howe pump, orbital was bought from Coleworx, Northern Tool single end ram
37" BFG Red labels
17" Raceline Monsters
QA1 Heim joints
Custom HD drive shafts
103" wheel base

This is what it started as. I wheeled it like this for 4 years or so. Bone stock 88 sammi. Had to take the bitch way out of twister 3.

Clearing out all the mosquito's

The engine instal took longer than we expected because we had to move the sammi trans to the rite because of the way the motor had to be turned sideways and it was too wide to mount to the trans in the middle. This is also when I realized it wasn't going to be as cheap as I has hoped because the motor had to sit where the steering box was. We also had to cut into the frame and then reinforce it back up to clear the oil filter. With the steering box gone I had to go hydraulic steering which involved engine work to be able to have a pulley drive the pump. Left the gas tank the bike tank because I thought it would keep some of the bike theme and also because it already fit the gas pump... and it has some super man logos on it from whoever wrecked it... so that added at least 10 horsepower. booyang My friend building it is an auto body man and he found me a radiator out of a broncho i believe it was and some fans off a 2012 maxima. Both had broken tabs on them and were thrown away. Couldn't argue with free ;D

Motor in. You can see how the mount from bike to sammi trans works. Take bike sprocket and weld a cut sammi drive shaft on it. Then make a plate on the other end that mounts the the fly wheel to the sammi trans. If your good enough and can mount them straight enough to not have any angle in the bar you can keep the u-joint out of it but it was faster and easier to do it this way for us. It works just as well. The only downside is with the thickness of the u-joint you have to move the hydraulic ram for the bike clutch back. If you look close you can see the black plate behind the u-joint moved back from the motor... that's it. Hayabusas have hydraulic clutches not cable. I don't have any close up pics of this. The engine mounts were made from what ever scrap metal he had in the garage. More free ****.

You can see where the frame had to be cut here. Normally this is the view from the front of the bike so the headers go straight down and under the motor. He had to take the stock headers and cut them up and rework them to make them go a different way. Went to advanced and bought a big tip to weld on the end to bring them together.

Almost

Finished

Radiator, Fans, and tank mounted

Mounted the computer and a lot of the wiring on the firewall to keep it out of the way of mud. Mounted battery on the trans hump.

To get a pulley on the motor we took the stator ( basically a built in alternator for those of you who don't know what that is ) and took it to a machine shop and had them cut a hole in the case cover and weld a bar on the plate that would slide through a press fit seal on the cover to mount the pulley to. This goes directly to the crank so the RPM doesn't change with the gears. Whatever the tach sais is what it is spinning.

Started getting some hydraulic stuff

Howe recommended we get the higher end pump to be able to handle the RPMs. Not sure if it was needed but didn't want to chance it, they might just be really good sales people. Big pulley to slow the RPM down. Went with a ribbed one later on for better grip. Damn thing still slips some. Usually when im at full turn.

This is the orbital we bought from Coleworx... I know its just an orbital valve... no big deal but it turns my 6" ram from lock to lock in less than a full turn, more like 1/2 a turn. Steering gets a little twitchy when you get going fast... nice in a trail though.

Finally get it all in and take it to WITC for Trucks Gone Wild last year. Everything went well but the clutch on the bike motor was slipping really bad so I couldn't really get the power to the ground like I wanted to. Put some air filters in the air box to make it look a little better.... probably should have mounted them sideways so water wouldn't get in the motor as easy but were going to fix that later. Keeping it covered till then.

After that it was time to get rid of the cage of death. Notice it had no bars on the back anymore unlike the 1st pic ..... they all fell off when I turned it over pulling 3 guys on a car hood in the snow like tubing on water. Whipped them really hard and their weight pulled me over after I already stopped. Good times.

No more cage

Paint - too poor for powder coat and I can rattle can it back blue after I roll it, went with the best looking blue I could find in a rattle can and that aslo could be bought in a gallon to spray it. Safety blue at TSC loller.gif . Plus i couldn't really disassemble it like usually happens to paint it correctly,

Finished, not too bad for his 1st cage. I like it. ( pics taken after new years ride at WITC... already had its 1st flip under its belt... ashamed to admit it but it happened on tiger trail haha. I wasn't used to the steering yet and it was also the 1st time I had the new clutches in it and the 1st time I floored it and it sat sideways and I over corrected and drove up the rite side on a steep wall and it flipped me over... I was embarrassed as **** but that's when I realized how fast that motor was and was loving it. Only took 4 of us to flip it back over.

This also taken at New Years at the beginning to twister 3... didn't know they dug HUGE holes in it and it swallowed it up. Rolled over trying to climb out of the hole.

Later that day I broke both front berfields and the rear drive shaft on the ledge. Luckily for me my cousin found an 85 Yota for sale for $500.00 !!! We bought it that day and i took everything but the motor and the body. Scrapped the rear housing and bout an 86+ IFS rear and hubs and sent it all up to EOR to finish it up with 4 link.

Im not 100% sure these are mine because I never really asked but im pretty sure these are my HD drive shafts going together. Not sure what the specs on them are....

This is it finished. 2 years after I started the build. Picked it up last friday. Still needs a few finishing touches like some paint and what not. I didn't know what it would look like with the new wheel base and and wheels and tires but when I finally saw it I wasn't disappointed. Its quite a bit taller than I would like it to be but that's what I get for keeping the frame and part of the tub.. After driving it its it still really stable and high lean angles. I love it.

Less than 24 hrs later I was at wooleys testing it out... Had a few minor issues with the battery because it hadn't been charged in some months, a radiator hose, and the clutch cable for the sammi at the end of the day got a little loose but its all cheap easy fixes.

:driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: :driving:

Ill end with flashemifyougotem
http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=4737.0

Re: Dopalicious - My Yota/Sammi/Hayabusa build

Those busa motored sammys are cool. If EOR did your suspension work that is gonna be a bad mofo for sure. Jimmy is THE suspension man.

This thing looks to be a blast to drive! do you have two clutch pedals? One for samy trans and one for bike trans?

very sweet truck... great to see a realistic everymans build! ive always wanted to build a super lightweight truck with a pto winch and just drive/ winch over everything ! thumb.gif

smurfy90 said:
This thing looks to be a blast to drive! do you have two clutch pedals? One for samy trans and one for bike trans?

It's the normal 3 pedal setup with a bar mounted beside the stick with the clutch lever for the motorcycle. It's not working yet but it will be how I shift the bike motor from the cab in the future. You can see it and the lever in the 2nd to last pic. It's laying really far back because it's not hooked up to anything yet. That way if I'm on a steep hill I can just hold the clutch with my hand and use my feet for brake and gas only and not have to mess with the foot clutch. I usually use the sammi clutch because it has less rpm than the Busa clutch from gear reduction so it will wear out slower. Only time I will shift the bike motor is when I am trying to accelerate fast because I can pound out gears faster in the bike trans. It has clutch less up shifts.

Honestly the torque curve of the motor is really flat so it has a REALLY long rpm range for power. I can start off in 3rd gear on the sammi trans and be going really slow and floor it and it will get to 34.83 mph according to http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/calculators/mphCalculator.htm I was going to guess 30 because that's what it felt like. So honestly there isn't a lot of shifting required to get good wheel spin. It gets there fast too. Not like it has to build up to it. Surprise me how fast it accelerates honestly and how well it pulls at low rpm.

Eventually I will put a recluse clutch in the motor so I won't have to mess with a clutch ever again but I can still hold it in, hit the gas, and dump the clutch if I would like. JThomas was going to put one in his but I haven't heard anything about it in a long time. It will hopefully be like driving a selectable gear automatic.

The rpm of the motor is what makes it work so well. To compare, my cousin has a dual case yota. Stock gears in cases and 4.10 in the axles. In 1st gear he tops out at 6mph. My setup has an even lower final gear ratio but tops out at 13 mph. You can take the same amount of power and get twice the wheel spin out of it and with the extra 75 hp or so over the 22r it gets there even faster. If I'm in the lowest gear possible it hits rev limiter at just about the same time you touch the pedal. So I can get at minimum ( if I'm in 1st gear ) 13 mph of wheel spin almost instantly. I have a break down of the gear ratios and mph of each one if someone would like to see it. Lowest gear tops out at 13, the highest gear tops out at over 250 mph ( if it had enough power to get that fast... Obviously it doesn't ). I'd say it would go every bit of 70 or faster but with the steering there is no way I'd want to go that fast. I'm sure I'll test it out one day when I get bored.

Looks like fun Austin glad to see you put it in the woods without hesitation!

I loooooooooove this thing good job ok so how does the sami tranny hook up to the bike motor :dblthumb:

I'll draw something when I get off work late tonight.

You say you don't shift the bike trans ... so you just leave it in one gear? If so, which one? What is its ratio?

Oh, and where do you buy 'Busa engines?

Would it be possible to lock the bike trans in whatever gear you use and possibly remove the rest of the gears for weight savings? And at that point, assuming it would be some degree of reduction, couldn't you then drive the ps pump off the sprocket to get the RPM'S down a little? PS pumps don't gain anything by being spun fast. They produce output increase until around 1500 rpm and then just start bypassing everything beyond there. So even if you did run the ps pump off a pulley that was affected by gear selection I don't know that it would matter that much on such a fast, hi-revving engine. What do those engines idle at?

bjo44 said:
I loooooooooove this thing good job ok so how does the sami tranny hook up to the bike motor :dblthumb:

Everything I draw turns out like ****. So just look really close at the 3rd pic. Basically you just take a sprocket that fits thats motors output shaft and weld a plate on it big enough to be able to drill 4 holes to match the 4 holes on one side of the u-joint. Then weld a piece of pipe to the other long enought to get to the sammi trans. Next you weld a plate on that end with another 4 holes. After that you make an adapter to go from the 6 holes in the center of the sammi fly wheel to the 4 hols on the end of the pipe. The holes in the flywheel are recessed in from the face of the flywheel so the adapter has to be able to slide into that and have the holes threaded so you dont have to use nuts because the bolts have to come in from the back side of the flywheel and stick out twords the motor. Then the flywheel mates the the input shaft on the trans. Heres my **** drawing. of the plate you cant see in that pic. ( 6 holes on flywheel go with the inner 6 holes on the adapter. The outer 4 bolt to the 4 holes on the end of the pipe. ) The pipe you choose MUST be big enough to be able to slide the nut down and bolt the sprocket back on the output shaft of motor or you can put it on / take it off.

patooyee said:
You say you don't shift the bike trans ... so you just leave it in one gear? If so, which one? What is its ratio?

Oh, and where do you buy 'Busa engines?

For now I leave it in 1st gear. 2nd gear broke the 1st time I took it out about a year ago before I put the 4 link on it. To make the busa gears strong enough to take the weight you have to get them back cut ( google can explaine what that is better than I can.) You can buy gears already done or send yours off to get them, or you can buy harder metal gears like billet. 1st gear is holding up fine with the new 37s.
http://www.rcsperformanceonline.com/Transmission_s/54.htm

What is the ratio? - Here is all the gears so you can compute any gear choice you want. Lowest gear possible is 89 : 1

Where did you buy the busa engine? - I bought mine off ebay. Its best to find a COMPLETE totaled one so you dont have to buy each part you need seperate ( gas tank, ignition that matches gas tank lock, gague cluster, wiring harness, air box, injectors, bla bla bla. ) After it was all said and done I think I have 3,000 in busa parts. I bought the Generation 1 motor because its way cheaper than the Gen 2. Gen 2 is still what they use in the current models and puts out about 25 more horses ( 200 ). 99-07 = gen 1 08-up = gen 2 ( gen 1 gauge cluster is old looking with yellow numbers. Gen 2 is newer looking with red numbers. )

And at that point, assuming it would be some degree of reduction, couldn't you then drive the ps pump off the sprocket to get the RPM'S down a little? PS pumps don't gain anything by being spun fast. They produce output increase until around 1500 rpm and then just start bypassing everything beyond there. So even if you did run the ps pump off a pulley that was affected by gear selection I don't know that it would matter that much on such a fast, hi-revving engine. - You would lose steering if you held in the clutch or put the bike in neutral. It would also be just as hard in my opinion to mount the pulley on the output shaft. We called Howe and they sent us a pulley that would work for the engines RPM range and it works very well.

What does the engine idle at? - What ever RPM you want it to. There is an adjustment screw on the front of the motor. I was messing with it one day and I stopped at 6,000. Not sure how high it would go but you wouldnt want it above 2k I would think. I think I have mine under 1,000 or so. Not really sure, I just put it as low as it would go and still steer with no lag.

Would it be possible to lock the bike trans in whatever gear you use and possibly remove the rest of the gears for weight savings?I saw your post about how if you had it to do all over you would build one like JThomas's green one so Ill go a little into the trans and turbo. The end game for me on the trans part is to put a reclues clutch in it to start out with. That way I dont have to mess with a clutch anymore because it will disengage the motor when it falls below a set RPM. I am still looking into how I would do this next part ( going to spend some time and a transmission shop and see if its possible) but after that id try to put an automatic trans in with no torque converter. I know without a built converter you lose power and when you only have 175 you dont want to lose any. Let the clutch do the " stall " that the converter would normally do. If this wouldnt work id look into getting a built converter to minimize power loss and stay normal clutch in the motor. I just need to figure out what gears work in the 5 speed and try to get an auto with similar gear ratios. When you talked about losing the rest of the gears... I know you can buy trans with only 3 gears but your not really talking about a lot of weight loss. Might as well keep the rest of the gears for gear range. If the recluse clutch will work with the auto trans without a torque converter then you could pick say 3rd in the bike motor and have more top end or drop the bike motor down to 1st and get more low end while shifting with the auto trans. It would just give you a lot more gear ratios to have in your pocket without a lot of weight gain. This is something im still playing around with. Ive only drove it once so far so ill learn what gears work well later. For reference I uploaded this video to photobucket... not sure how well it will look but this is in the lowest gear it has. It has PLENTY of creep so you dont have to clutch it when you creep over rocks and still gets some pretty good wheel spin ( 13 mph ). Gets to it fast also. I was just messing around on this hill and felt it start to climb so I gave it some gas. Cant really see the wheels spinning but if you look close you can see some mud getting slung out. ( 1st, 1st, low )

( Click image for **** video )

:gay:

The turbo on the green buggy came off a bugatti car. Not sure why he chose to do this ( I assume it was cheaper ) but he said it put out a little over 200hp at the wheels on a dyno. I thought about doing something like this also in the future so I got to looking into it... WOW the options. You can get a stage 1 that puts out 230hp. stage 2 @ 430hp, or stage 3 @ over 700. They are all expensive. Stage 1 is too much money for the ammount of HP you get out of it. No way yota axles will hold up to a stage 2 maxed out but you could dial the boost down to a more reasonable level so they might hold together. Stage 2 also doesnt require much engine mods. Stage 3..... **** that. Heres one of the more popular companies that makes them.
http://www.tobefast.com/velocity-hayabusa-stage2-turbo-c-63416-p-1-pr-4279.html

If you get too much power to have to upgrade axles then you lose your " light weight " build and have to start going to 1 ton axles... then you might as well have gone V8 because whats another 300 hundred lbs ( no idea how much more a v8 weight. pretty sure the busa in under 200 lbs) when you have V8. As you know thats where the big money start coming in.

hey bud I really appreciate the replies iam stoke to build one iam just sick of the usual stuff you know,so how much does the buggy weight and could you use a Yamaha r1 engine :dblthumb:

Haven't gotten a chance to weigh it yet. I'll see if i cant do that this weekend, I'm curious also. You could use an R1 motor but they run about the same price as the 1st gen busa but won't perform as well. Busa has more low end torque. On top of more hp and high end torque. I'd use the zx14 if you didn't use the busa. Unless you have an R1 laying around in the garage.

If you build one don't use the frame and body like I did. Go full tube and you'll save yourself a LOT of problems.

yeah I was thinking just building a chassis .I think the busa motor sounds like the way too go ,hey let me know what it weighs when you weight it if you don't mind.that thing must rip hard .does it enough power for you or do you think you need more.I live in Vancouver Canada and our terrain is slick and slippery like yours so wheel speed is the only way .can you drive in 2 wheel also thanks bud
:eat:

Yes you can put it In 2 wheel drive. It has the normal drive train from transmission back. I'd like to get a twin stick t - case for front dig.

Wheel spin is relative to what your comparing it to. It has a lot more than an average 22r but it's not going to compare with a built v8. So if you build one just have realistic expectations. Only reason i went with this set up is you get a lot of power for the price and I like the way it sounds.

I think the power is enough for what I want to do with it. I wouldn't mind more obviously but who wouldn't ? I don't want to start breaking the toyota axles and I'd say I'm close to their breaking point as it sits. That's why I went with 37s and not 39s. There are several ways to get big gains on power but you can't go much more without breaking every time you go out. Like I said earlier if you go bigger axles you might as well get a v8.