• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My Yota/Sammi/Hayabusa build (update on page 2)

Re: Dopalicious - My Yota/Sammi/Hayabusa build

I love the way it sounds too.nope I like the small lightweight idea so do you have two shifters one for the bike trans and on for the zuk tranny.and I just found a gsxr 1000 engine complete with everything 05 for 600 what do you think about a 1000,or just buy a busa engine :dunno:

So do you just leave the busa in first never touch it and just use ths sami trans for shifting.

Look up the different motors and see what their hp and tq differences are and decide off that. Both will work, the bigger motor will work better because it has a flatter torque curve.

For now I leave the bike motor in 1st and drive it like a normal 5 speed.

So did you gut the sami wiring and just start over with the bike motor.and whats all involved with the wiring is it straight forward.And I really like the way you hooked up the bike motor to the trans its just a small drive shaft fixed on one end. :dblthumb:

This is really cool. Ive been looking at busa powered buggies. I know absolutely nothing about bikes, and reading this thread helps a little. First question I have is what holds the Sammy flywheel? I had a samura on Toyota axles for a while, so I'm familiar with them. Never taken the motor/trans apart though. I mean a normal flywheel bolts to the crank, I see you picture of a small drive shaft going from the back of the bike motor to the Sammy transmission/flywheel. im still lost at how the flywheel stays in place.
IMG953606_zpsc1b664b0.jpg

Can you use a trans axle? - Yes you can use a trans axle. Not to sounds like a smartass but It will spin anything you hook up to the output shaft. You can hook the motor up to a chain saw blade and go cut wood with it if you want. ;D. A friend of mine bought "The Hornet" buggy and it has a VW trans axle.

Do you gut the sammi wiring? - The wiring is 100% bike. You have to extend some wires here and there. If you couldn't figure out where something plugs into there are diagrams to follow. I was lucky and my friend that built it has worked on plenty and knew where everything went from memory.

what holds the flywheel? - maybe this will explain things better.

The 6 holes on the flywheel are indented into the flywheel. This is the side that faces the motor.
Screenshot_2013-12-06-13-22-13_zps104f1cf7.png

Make a plate that looks like a top hat. The smaller side has 6 threaded holes that slides into the indention in the flywheel. Take the screws through the flywheel and screw them into the plate... securing the plate to the flywheel.

next take the shaft that goes to the motor and bolt it to the outer 4 holes on the fat part of the adapter.

Screenshot_2013-12-06-13-48-31_zps0c9bdd7b.png

Took this pic a sec ago. It's dirty but if you look close you can see the adapter between the flywheel and pipe that goes to the motor. I drew a thin red line that separates the 2 plates in the 2nd pic.
20131206_123210_zpsc0242a92.jpg

Screenshots_2013-12-06-14-08-28_zps293824b3.png

That's the best I can describe it without taking it apart and making a video. ( not going to happen ) :flipoff1:

dude thanks for all the info hitit

Yeah ill be there. Wheelin is 20 min from my house. I hate that it's in the middle of the week this year.

saw this rig today! Its a cool rig.

Update time...

After getting to wheel this for several months I decided to put it back under the knife and try and get it finished like I want it. Ive had a few problems that I thought might not be a big deal in the beginning but turned out to be a big pain. 1st problem is most street bikes have a tip over sensor In them so the bike will cut off If it has been wrecked. I decided to leave it in thinking if I rolled over it would automatically cut the motor off so I wouldn't have to. What ended up happening is every time I hit hard on one side or the other it kills the motor when I never rolled. Almost making it to the top of a hill just to have your motor turned off by the computer will get you pissed really fast. At least this is an easy fix.

2nd problem is that sammi clutch wouldn't hold up. I thought it wouldn't from the beginning but I didn't know for sure so we left it in. After the 1st run it was obvious I was going to have to upgrade it but I couldn't really justify spending money on a clutch that might hold up when I was thinking it would destroy the trans or transfercase after that and I would be back in the same spot. So I had to feather the gas as much as I could to save the clutch as long as I could until I was ready to put a Toyota in. It really sucked always having to stay in a low gear and not being able to shift it into 2nd on a hill. Every time I did it would stop pulling and smoke the clutch. After several months I finally got the parts in and the time to start working on it so I tore it down again. After I mounted the new trans in and had new driveshafts made I had my friend rip the floor out and put a new one in along with some better seats and prp harnesses.

I rarely took it on any big rides because even though its already underpowered because its not a v8, I at least wanted to wait until it was hooking up good so I wouldn't get on the side of a hill and have to go slow ( for a 4 banger ) up the hill and everyone blame the motor for it when its the clutch slipping. Its never going to be a bouncer by any means but I didn't want a 22r to beat it up a hill... People are going to talk **** about it anyway I have no doubts about that but I at least wanted to give it a fair representation of what the motor can do. Ive been having a blast driving it WITH the clutch slipping so I cant wait to see what it will be like when I get it finished.

So here is some picks of the upgrades and a few videos. I have the videos on Youtube so I will always have them if I replace my phone. Each video is my 1st time ever going up these trails and the clutch is slipping in every video so I had to keep it in a really low gear. So don't expect much.

No more floor

New floor Frame

New floor

Seats going in

1st hill I went up in it. Some random hill at AOP. No idea why he calls me "big daddy" fyi. That's not a regular thing :****: - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIWVT1tJ9cs
Flipper - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqdbI1jNY4I
Ledge - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Re438rKGc
2nd run at the Ledge ( wish I could have had a few more gears ) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXAilirp_To
Axle hill ( tip over sensor kills it ) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpUTaXqSHPw
Axle hill again ( tip over kills it at the top ) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L65utG7HMfM

Hope to be back on the trails in a month.

Re:

Hell, some" bouncers" can't make it up the stuff you are. I think it's doing great despite the shortcomings you listed. It will be even better now.

Oh the old tip over sensor. When I was on a stunt team if you did not modify this you would end up slamming down and potentially knocking your head off or busting your fork tube seals. If I remember which it's hard to because the amount of drugs I was doing, Took ours apart and glued them with hot glue I believe. You were right that **** will drive you insane!! Way to think outside the box this is the first time I have seen this build!!! And busa motor was probably a really good choice. I think the redline is what 8k? Not sure you would want a gixxer 1000 or something of the like that red lines it about 15,000.. Pretty cool **** man :dblthumb:

Yeah you can silicone it up so it won't move around. The 1300 has more torque and a really flat torque curve. You'd have to keep a 1000 at a higher rpm a lot more. Red line is above 11k so After all the gear reduction it doesn't equate to a huge loss of wheel spin. With the flat torque curve your rpm range is bigger imo.

Latest posts