• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Naches TWIG meeting

pokey

just me
Just confirmed there is a TWIG meeting in Naches tomorrow night (1/10) This is a begining of a process on trail decissions that we need to have members involved in. PLEASE be there if at all possible.

The meeting is at the Naches ranger station. Starts at 7 pm come around back and in the back door.

Would be nice if there was an easy way to get there from the Wetside...have they ever thought about setting up a conference call so we could at least listen in?

I'm leaving my house in Renton at 4. I still have a few seats left in the Excursion if anyone wants to carpool.
425-917-2361

Thanks Scott glad to hear you guys are coming. Were leaving in the morning to make a trip out of it. Going to stay over at WJs and come home on wed.

The short version: "No new trail closures this year." According to them (USFS) it was never being discussed. :rolleyes:

The turnout was good. The paper said around a hundred, and that seems pretty close.

I found this post on Eastern Washington Adventures...it is a summary of the meeting from the perspective of a horse enthusiast:

TWIG Meeting report - Jan 10 2012
Hi All,

Just got back from the TWIG meeting. There were at least 60 folks in the room and more out in the hall. I started to take notes, but with my hearing and all, I'll just have to go by memory ( uh-oh ). We all sat with our respective groups ( horsemen together, 4X together........ ) we were asked to fill out forms on trail information; trail #/name; location ( township, range, section/starting point ; type of trail; current known uses; significance to you or your group
( eg. amount of use,connector. previous investment, historical significance, type of experience) ; ranking of significance, low, medium, high and why you chose that ranking; is the trail class appropriate or should it be changed? if changed, to what? ; incidental knowledge of condition ( including tread, known problem spots and/or maintenance challenges ) willing to adopt-name of group__________ to manage the trail to "standard" to address health and safety issues-brushing and removing litter;additional information* is there an acceptable alternative to this trail * easy access for maintenance * option and alternatives for maintenance * strategies for reducing maintenance and any concerns or disagreements from the group please document.

Well, I'll let that soak in and let you be the judge on those questions. Quote of the night was a man of 25 or 30 who said on the question of importance of a trail he said " the important trails our the ones I haven't rode on yet. I might not ride it this year or next, but I'd like to ride it sometime" ( or words to that effect ) he's a 4 X er and wanted to volunteer to keep motorized trails OPEN. I know ALL of us horsemen answered the above questions the same. Ranking of signifcance..............High WHY because we don't want any trails CLOSED.

Irene did say that she had NO in intention of closing trails THIS YEAR. Wade and I talked to Irene a little later on that and Irene said she said it in that way because she doesn't now what might be going on next year or the year after. I really think Irene was being sincere on this.

Ron Rutherford at the mid way point of the meeting gave a little history on the motorized trails on the Naches and as Ron said, when the various wilderness came into being motorized LOST trails, when floods or other natural disasters accured motorized LOST trails. NO MORE LOST TRAILS....ENOUGH.

It got a little heated a few times, but for the most part, it went very well. Many people went home with the maps to fill in at their various club/group meetings and toke forms as well.

I guess to just give y'all a bit of my PERSONAL views on this issue. I don't want to give up a single trail.....PERIOD. We also started going over the 1100 miles of trails and from the FS 's own trail list of ALL the trail on the district it came to 772 miles. That's ALL trails..4 X trails is 170.712 miles...motorcycle....138.578 miles Roger told Ron R that he grooms 135 miles of "TRAILS" which are some roads some cross over trails. Non-motorized trails 463 miles......

Last, but not least, Paula Heaverlo gave a proposal for consideration. A one year wait and see on trail standards, see what the various trail volunteers can do to help the FS with their budget short fall, name two or more volunteer trail coordinators to help the FS with scheduling trail maintenance, allow for a two week chainsaw permitting period to open trails during mid-week, problems areas would fall to the FS crews. Paula gave a very detailed proposal and when she finished Paula received a well deserved applause for her many sleepless night ( Jessie told me that ) over this whole issue. I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but hopefully others will comment and add to what I've wrote.

We'll ALL just have to stay vigilant with these and all other public land issues.......IT'S OUR LAND and we should be able to enjoy OUR LAND in the responsible way that most of us do. The 1% that ALL user groups have are a problem ofr ALL OF US not just this group or that group. We need to work together as Paula Heaverlo said at the November TWIG. Together we can accomplish great deal in the way of recreational security buy just showing that we care.

Mike Drougas Yakima Valley BCHW/ Backcountry Horsemen of Central Wa.

No, this one.

http://www.yakima-herald.com/storie...-at-odds-with-district-over-possible-closures

It made it sound like the decision was made and the only thing the meeting was for was to choose what stays open and what gets closed. Maybe the quotes were taken out of context or I am reading them wrong.

Davidson said:
"A decision is going to have to be made," Davidson said, noting that the decision-making process will depend on input from tonight's meeting -- specifically on which trails users want to keep open.

I have to go along with Mikes report above. Also mentioned in Paulas "plan" (I have a written copy) is that the BCH realize that we as 4x4 users are really getting the short end of the stick. They seem to be on our side here :awesomework: What bothered me the most about this meeting is that they had us mark out on a map which trails were important but then we were allowed to take the maps with us :eeek: We also filled out information sheets about the trails we selected as our personal favorites and why they were. Well we only had about 10 forms turned in ( I asked for and recieved copies) so if this is the input that they are going to go by then were in trouble since there are tech, 44 trails on the district open to us (4x4) and less than 1/4 of them were written about. :booo:

No, this one.

http://www.yakima-herald.com/storie...-at-odds-with-district-over-possible-closures

It made it sound like the decision was made and the only thing the meeting was for was to choose what stays open and what gets closed. Maybe the quotes were taken out of context or I am reading them wrong.

I couldn't figure that one out either (I guess I should have went to meetings before last night:redneck:) She was the same person saying that there will be no new closures this year.

I have to go along with Mikes report above. Also mentioned in Paulas "plan" (I have a written copy) is that the BCH realize that we as 4x4 users are really getting the short end of the stick. They seem to be on our side here :awesomework: What bothered me the most about this meeting is that they had us mark out on a map which trails were important but then we were allowed to take the maps with us :eeek: We also filled out information sheets about the trails we selected as our personal favorites and why they were. Well we only had about 10 forms turned in ( I asked for and recieved copies) so if this is the input that they are going to go by then were in trouble since there are tech, 44 trails on the district open to us (4x4) and less than 1/4 of them were written about. :booo:

Can you scan the documents and post them on here? We can print them, fill them out, and mail them in to them.

Can you scan the documents and post them on here? We can print them, fill them out, and mail them in to them.

I plan to do that but before I do I am contacting the ranger to see if she will even look at them at this point.

Go ahead and scan they and let people fill them out, They are a nice form to send into the State leaders to show how we like the trails.

Ok so here is the responce I recieved from Irene Davidson (district ranger. Naches) Her e-mail is in her sig. line. Also attached (I hope) are the Map, form and trails list. Remember our (4x4) trails start with "4W" Remember she wants to know why the trail is important to you. Any questions just ask I will be watching this thread for responces. Please also send me a copy of your responce form so we have documentation of comments. Thanks Jim
[email protected]

From Irene Davidson
Here is the form and the spreadsheet. It would be best to get them in by mid next week as we are trying to gather the information for a meeting on January 31th. We won't turn any away if we receive them later though! I have also attached a copy of the map

Attachments

• trail form###.pdf
    314.1 KB · Views: 61
  • NachesRangerDistrictRoadTrailOHV2011_revised.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 76
  • Naches_Trail Core Data_May 2011_SummerTrailsOnlyforTrailsWorkshopJanuary2012.pdf
    107.2 KB · Views: 50