• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Narrower D60 Hubs?

Craig_c

I have done a bit of searching but nothing really tells me anything.....

Front Ford king pin HP D60, 8 lug. Id love to narrow the front up some (87" outer tire measurment) but I dont want to cut the axle since its already setup, and already has RCV's. Is there a different hub I could use on the front and retain my 8 lug pattern that will narrow it up? My rear measures 83" outside of tire. If I could knock at least 2" off I could get it in my box trailer without swapping different wheels on the front as well!!

NOOOO!!! Don't do it. You'll regret it. My buddy did it, worst mistake he ever made. He would gladly trade you for a full width. It wAs a **** ton of work and some money to lose performance. Negative. He's wantin a HP axle housing to get full width again. All just because he didn't want tires sticking out from under his jeep. No sir. :smoke:

I don't/won't lose the HP60! I just want to get my front a few inches narrower so it will be closer to my rear and will fit in my box trailer without swapping wheels.

My other option I guess is less offset in the wheels....but then I would either have 2 different offset wheels, but don't really want to buy 5 new wheels. Then my rear would be too narrow.

Not a crawler, Ultra4 buggy, so the 5th is a spare that's strapped on the back.

I guess what I was wanting/hoping for was a hub that had the wheel mounting surface closer to the center with a rotor that had a shorter hat.....I just measured and I could go 1-1 1/2" max before my wheel will get into the high steer arm.

Craig_c said:
I just measured and I could go 1-1 1/2" max before my wheel will get into the high steer arm.

IIRC, there's a 2" difference between SRW & DRW hubs...
Maybe a DRW hub (subtracts 4" overall) + spacer (add 1.5" overall to clear arms) = 84.5" (2.5" less overall) width?

Caver Dave said:
Maybe a DRW hub (subtracts 4" overall) + spacer (add 1.5" overall to clear arms) = 84.5" (2.5" less overall) width?

Would be something to look at, do you know what trucks I would look at for these hubs?

Edit; looks like that would do the opposite of what I want to do.

Craig_c said:
I don't/won't lose the HP60! I just want to get my front a few inches narrower so it will be closer to my rear and will fit in my box trailer without swapping wheels.

My other option I guess is less offset in the wheels....but then I would either have 2 different offset wheels, but don't really want to buy 5 new wheels. Then my rear would be too narrow.

Ohhhh okay ! :dblthumb:I was thinking that you were talking about actually narrowing the axle tubes! That would probably be a big regret I know it is for my buddy..

kushKrawlin said:
Ohhhh okay ! :dblthumb:I was thinking that you were talking about actually narrowing the axle tubes! That would probably be a big regret I know it is for my buddy..

In his case he could trade for duel rear wheel stuff and prob get a few bucks in return and be wider again.

On the narrower hubs I think your only option is different offset wheels.

Caver Dave said:
DRW hubs make for a WIDER axle, WMS-WMS, not a NARROWER front axle.

Craig_c said:

I'd get the correct wheel offset you need for the front, then make up the difference in the rear with some good quality wheel spacers. This way you can maintain the rear track width and narrow the front.

I run a narrow hp front and rear 60, front is 82" w/ tires and rear is 80" w/ tires. Tubes have been cut down along w/ axle shafts, been running them that way for years and haven't had any issues

Rear is a 60 as well. The front measures 87" outside of tire, the rear is around 83" outer tire