• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Narrowing a warn winch?

Hellbilly

I got this new M8000 warn winch real cheap so I think I'm ging to cut it down By about 4" My plan is to make the bolt pattern the same as the RC winch warn sells.

I know its pretty straight forward But what I need to now is Is there going to be any surprises when I tear it apart? Any help is appreciated.

I searched pirate and only found a Ramsey winch being narrowed.

If/when you pull the brake from the inside of the drum tube to shorten it, slide the brake into a like-size piece of tube. (cardboard, metal tube, etc.) Basically you do not want to pull the brake out of the drum tube and have it become unwound.

Other than than, shorten the tie rods, drive shaft and drum tube and you should be good.

grind/cut the weld off one end of the drum and slide it down the brake tube, then re weld, you don't want to cut the drum in the middle, it will tear up the brake, and is a little harder to get strait.

grind/cut the weld off one end of the drum and slide it down the brake tube, then re weld, you don't want to cut the drum in the middle, it will tear up the brake, and is a little harder to get strait.

Exactly. One end of the drum is splined to engage the gear train. Shorten from the non-splined end.

It's pretty intuitive Todd. I did mine w/out any research and was no big deal. My winch is REALLY old and IIRC had stuff going on on BOTH ends of the drum so I sectioned mine in the middle as recomended NOT to do above. I made it work but have a lathe to get the halves square and also get a nice bevel to lay the bead in. If you can pop off one of the end plates and reweld.....do that for sure. I made my drum 4" wide and it holds 40 ft of rope.

Make sure you get some sort of fairlead to guide the rope.......i never bothered and have broken chunks off both sides of my winch body from pulling from the sides.....also tears the rope up bad....duh

Got this done today took me about 2 1/2 :awesomework:

Like you all said it was easy

If/when you pull the brake from the inside of the drum tube to shorten it, slide the brake into a like-size piece of tube. (cardboard, metal tube, etc.) Basically you do not want to pull the brake out of the drum tube and have it become unwound.

I used a hose clamp worked great

Thanks again for everyones help

Oh yeah and I didnt take a single photo