• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need a stronger Toyota trans

AW10

Piper made me break my 2nd g52 trans today within an hour of riding. Looks like this trans isn't going to hold up. Is my only option the r150f and r151f??? I don't know much about them but I'm hearing they are stronger. Will they work with my xfer case??

AW10 said:
Piper made me break my 2nd g52 trans today within an hour of riding. Looks like this trans isn't going to hold up. Is my only option the r150f and r151f??? I don't know much about them but I'm hearing they are stronger. Will they work with my xfer case??

:driving:

It looked really good doing it !

Re: Re: Need a stronger Toyota trans

TBItoy said:
No

Marlin made an adapter bell housing though. Not sure on availability.

I didn't think so. I had looked into it for a 3rz before and couldn't find anything available for the swap.

Thanks for the ToyotaTom. I forget marlin has a forum...

fordcontraption01 said:
So you're breaking transmissions with a busa motor? Why isn't the clutch slipping?

Which clutch? No Toyota clutch only bike clutch now. Bike clutch has stronger springs and stays in 1st gear to reduce the strain on the motor, plus its fast enough without needing 2nd. I thought the last one broke because of the weight of the clutch and flywheel not being supported. When it broke (after 2 years of abuse) I took it out and noticed the teeth of the flywheel were hitting the bellhousing haha. So it was moving around A LOT when i was bouncing around. So I had a piece machined to lose the weight and help it last longer... lasted 1 hour :(. Trans could have been abused in the past maybe. I pulled my 1st out out of a road truck so I know it wasn't abused before I got it.

I'm going to get my suspension tuned also, it bounces way too bad so I'm sure that had something to do with it also.

Re:

I wonder how an auto would do behind the busa motor...

I'd get a r150 from a v6 truck and put the adapter plate to 4cyl cases (I'm add you're running duals?)

I've thought about an automatic but I'd have to figure out how to support the torque converter. Also I'm not really sure of the RPM the pto is spinning so I wouldn't know where to begin on selecting the correct converter. Smells like a lot of money too me.

Tbi are you asking if I'm running dual transfers? If so, no I'm not. Why would you go the 150 over the 151?? Different 1st gears?

Re:

151s are rare and expensive (relatively) as they only came in the turbo trucks/runners), if you can even find one.

150s are damn near free for used ones.

Are you running 4.7 gears in your case?

Na the case is stock. I get the gear reduction from the bike motor being in 1st gear all the time 2.65:1. Gets reduced before it ever makes it to the trans. So the 100ft lbs the motor makes at the crank turns into 265 before it ever makes it to the Toyota trans. (If my math and understand of gear reduction is correct).

So here's my next question... If I get this 151 and I break it will I be able to fix it or am I going to have to scrap a 500 dollar trans? Can it even hold up to that much power?

Re:

In that case, just get a r150 and chain drive case from a 3.0 v6 truck and you're good to go. That's strong and cheap! And you won't have to reconfigure your drivetrain.

The v6 yota chain drive case is tougher than the 4cyl cases anyway.

The only real reason to use a 4cyl yota case is the easy doubler or easy 4.7 crawler gears. Stock vs stock they aren't anything special.

If I went that route I wouldnt need the adapter because it's not going to any motor but I'd have to redo the transfer case adapter because I'm assuming it's not going to have the same bolt pattern and I can't use my short throw shifter.

Seems like the 151 will be more expensive but way less headache because it will bolt right up to what I have.

Will these trans hold 265 ft lbs easily??? (If I'm correct on my motors output) honestly I never knew anything about yota trans until today... I thought they were all pretty close to each other....

Re:

You lost me on "redo transfer case adapter" and "can't use short throw shifter"

What adapter? Do you mean cross member? How is yours mounted now?

And trans or tcase short throw shifter? According to how it's made, it probably wouldn't work with the 151...