• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sold/Expired Need BBC engine.

TreeClimber

Dad toasted another engine.

Looking for a 454 Chevrolet / GMC engine.
His is a 1998 "Vortec" styled.
Will consider others.

Truck is 1998 GMC 3/4 ton, 4x4, with 454cu in (7.4Liter), Automatic.

last engine was 6 years ago (but only a few thousand miles) and was used. Sourced it here, I thought. Maybe from Corey? Anyhow, has no oil pressure at idle once warmed up. Still has pressure when cold. Engine knocks BAD when warm.

In order to pull the pan on a GM 4x4, you've damn-near need to actually pull the engine from the truck, as the front axle is part of a cross-member which doesn't allow the oil pan to be dropped easily. So.... it's a question as to whether it's worth it to try and fix what I've got here, or, just replace with known good components.

Last edited:
Wrecking yard. Check the warranty and see if they have more inventory in case you need to warranty it.

Stay AWAY from "Low Mile" RV engines. They usually have a half dozen rusty valves and seats from sitting in one position with a handful of valves open and rusting the valves and seats and possibly the cylinder. They are great if you plan to swap the heads or do a valve job, but not as a "drop in".

If you buy its private party, no warranty,,,,

If its not a roller cam engine pull the intake and inspect EVERY cam lobe.

If a lobe or two are missing, chances are they are now in the first second and a little bit in the third main bearing.

Pull the pan and look for residue in line with any of the mains or rods in the bottom of the pan.

still looking.

really would like a TBI engine, so that I don't have intake manifold issues when swapping parts.

Why not just get a crate motor from Chevrolet

Cost. Dad is 82. This truck goes elk hunting once a year, towing a 3000 pound travel trailer, and a truck load of propane, extra water, tarps, and whatnot. Dad doesn't drive any more, so, my cousin currently drives dad up to camp, and home. Other than that one yearly trip, it stays parked in a garage, with a trickle charger on the battery. Once dad passes, the truck will be sold. Truck currently has lots of small dents due to dad's poor driving prior to quit driving. Really, the truck as it sits (blown motor) is worth nothing, and with the replacement engine will still be worth little.

I would retire the truck now, if it were up to me. But the concept of owning his own truck, even though he doesn't drive, still gives dad a sense of independence. I 'rescued' the blown engine on top of Snoqualmie this year, and towed the trailer to elk camp, then towed it home a week later. I have no issues of towing him every year from now on. But, if he wants an engine, I'll put it in for him.

Cost. Dad is 82. This truck goes elk hunting once a year, towing a 3000 pound travel trailer, and a truck load of propane, extra water, tarps, and whatnot. Dad doesn't drive any more, so, my cousin currently drives dad up to camp, and home. Other than that one yearly trip, it stays parked in a garage, with a trickle charger on the battery. Once dad passes, the truck will be sold. Truck currently has lots of small dents due to dad's poor driving prior to quit driving. Really, the truck as it sits (blown motor) is worth nothing, and with the replacement engine will still be worth little.

I would retire the truck now, if it were up to me. But the concept of owning his own truck, even though he doesn't drive, still gives dad a sense of independence. I 'rescued' the blown engine on top of Snoqualmie this year, and towed the trailer to elk camp, then towed it home a week later. I have no issues of towing him every year from now on. But, if he wants an engine, I'll put it in for him.

I read this as.... your looking for a motor but not really hahahaha funny how they hold on to that independence vehicles give. My grandma was the same way.

Moved to the "Wanted" area Tony---

As for your needs, a 98 is gonna be a multi-port EFI engine, unless you swapped it to TBI in the past engine replacement?
It's gonna be pretty hard to find a good one, as these engines are now pushing 20 yrs old...As for one from an RV, Brad's right, unless you find one that's been stored inside. I wouldn't completely rule em out tho...Best bet would be one that maybe has 100-120K on it, and can hear it run, verify oil psi, running temp, etc... Would probably work just fine for what you're needing.