• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need Help from the toyota axle guys

smbroady82

Here is what I have going on

I bought the tg chromo solid axle hub replacements
https://www.trail-gear.com/TG/Solid_Axle_Hub__Creeper_Flange_Style/i_0_0_3543/_140435-1-KIT.aspx#.VOoxtuk5Bjo

Here is the difference in the new ones (right obviously) and what I assume are IFS style hubs that I guess I have been running the whole time ( had no idea the difference until now)

when I went to bolt everything back up the other day, there was not enough clearance to put the bolt thru the knuckle tabs & caliper hole and put a nut on it

here is the pass. side, you can see that there is enough room to run the bolt thru both and put the nut on

I just went to the parts store and bought what is supposed to be an 82 caliper and pads thinking maybe they would be tapped for the bolt..Wrong
So I get home and look at the caliper that I have been running for years and can't tell if they are any different at all.

So my question is: What am I doing wrong? Am I missing something? Wrong caliper or rotor?
This is a showstopper and I want to get it figured out today as I have to travel for work this week and will not have time to fool with it when I get back before the Gray Rock ride this weekend. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am close the truck and my lap top if anyone needs anymore pics to help

thanks guys
Broady

somebody else can correct me if I'm wrong.... but i think them are fj rotors... you will need to go back to stock rotors and put the caliper on the other side of the bracket... the bracket is supposed to be threaded not the caliper

My six shooters are not threaded :dunno:

either way, the caliper looks like it has to be mounted on the "inside" of the knuckle tab now since the wheel mounting surface has moved inwards with the new hubs

something doesn't seem right

yeah who ever did the ifs hub swap would have had to drill the threads out of the six shooters.... id say the only way to run your new hubs is to drill out the calipers to the next size and re-tap your knuckles

ok.. truck had the ifs set up since I got it apparently..

I bought the six shooters and haven't drilled out anything on them, I just looked and they do appear to be threaded, they were just gummed up and I was used to running the bolt through the knuckle and caliper holes and bolting it on with a nut..

so, if I can get the correct size bolt I may be able to make this work!

anyone know what size it is off the top of your head??

Use the ifs hub mill em down to 6 5/8 use tacoma rotor,caliper buy the bracket at FROF 100$ its a sweet set up makes the axle 4" total wider to match the ifs rear

well I have already got the new TG hubs and beat the crap out of them putting wheel studs in and taking them out at least 2x now :/

but that sounds like a sweet mod ! I already have spacers so maybe I can keep them close

appreciate the recommendation though!

hey i got to thinking about it... six shooters are reversible.. just take them off and swap sides then you will be using the other set of threads and you wont need to drill and tap anything

dad gave me a hand and tapped out the gummed up threads while I built the new hubs, just had to unbolt the spindle ( didn't even need to take the birf out ) I went up to a 1/2in 20 bolt and works like a charm.. no drilling required, not too bad at all

new bolts are a little too long, so picking up a set of 1 1/4- 1 1/2 in length bolts tomorrow and I should be back in the game. See you fellas at Gray Rock!!

I appreciate the help guys thumb.gif

Zeb, I am not sure I follow on swapping them and using the "front" side tabs to bolt them to :dunno:, but you have my interest

a six shooter knuckle has caliper tabs on both sides so that it can be used as a right or left side knuckle.... if you was to put your left knuckle on the right side and your right knuckle on the left side... then the messed up threads would be to the front and the tabs with the good threads would be in the back where you would need them for the caliper to bolt up... but if you are able to clean up the threads with a tap and not need to drill everything out to a bigger size then that is def the way to go... much easier

Man I never thought of that

that's pretty smart! it was easier to tap them out but that is def good to know! I am so tired of rebuilding yota axles

smbroady82 said:
Man I never thought of that

that's pretty smart! it was easier to tap them out but that is def good to know! I am so tired of rebuilding yota axles

:rolf: :rolf: :rolf:

Sounds like you need tons then! Be prepared to tear through them about once a year.

haha........I have a HP Pass Drop 60 I am building at the speed of smell.. ton swap in the works ( probably 2016 ) thumb.gif

and ONCE a year sounds amazing! :****: