• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need help timing a vehicle..

Lunnzz

So a co-worker has a KIA Sorento and it needed a crank position sensor so I told him I would change it. I get everything apart and like a dumb ass I put a ratchet on the timing belt tensioner pulley to get to the sensor well doing this screwed up the auto tensioner. So I started to turn over the engine slow as per a tech manual and it jumped time now I have the #1 at what I believe to be TDC.

Here is a pic of the drivers side which both cam gears are lined up with the marks that are on the valve cover. Yellow dots are timing marks.

DSCN0687.jpg

This is the passenger's side both marks are off..Yellow dots are the timing marks.

DSCN0686.jpg

The timing mark is lined up on the crank also. The idler pulley for the cam tensioner is off also what started off as a simple job has turned into a nightmare. If anybody lives out in Yelm and can give me a hand I will make it worth your time with cash I need to have this done in the next few days. I am just a bit parnoid messing with timing a lot can go wrong.

So a co-worker has a KIA Sorento and it needed a crank position sensor so I told him I would change it. I get everything apart and like a dumb ass I put a ratchet on the timing belt tensioner pulley to get to the sensor well doing this screwed up the auto tensioner. So I started to turn over the engine slow as per a tech manual and it jumped time now I have the #1 at what I believe to be TDC.

Here is a pic of the drivers side which both cam gears are lined up with the marks that are on the valve cover. Yellow dots are timing marks.

DSCN0687.jpg

This is the passenger's side both marks are off..Yellow dots are the timing marks.

DSCN0686.jpg

The timing mark is lined up on the crank also. The idler pulley for the cam tensioner is off also what started off as a simple job has turned into a nightmare. If anybody lives out in Yelm and can give me a hand I will make it worth your time with cash I need to have this done in the next few days. I am just a bit parnoid messing with timing a lot can go wrong.

just did the same job on an 04 sorento last week, timing belts not to bad, it's changing the spark plugs that is a real Pain in the ass...

just roll the timing gears back to wear they go, if you have all the other marks lined up then it is as simple as putting a wrench on the end of the cam and rolling it back to were it goes

Not being a mechanic, but line back up the timeing points by removing the belt and rotate the gearing into the right position, then put the belt back on...or am I missing something here...

After you get it set to where you think it should be roll that engine around 4 or 5 revolutions by hand and double check.

After you get it set to where you think it should be roll that engine around 4 or 5 revolutions by hand and double check.
2 revolutions clockwise will put it back IN time. and i can almost bet, it will be OFF.

after u do it, u will see which way u need to set, and how many teeth off it will need to be, in order for it be be IN time. the problem is when the tensioner takes up the slack, it shifts the cams.

turn it by hand clockwise, by the crank, NEVER counter clockwise, and never by the cams.. you will eventually get it. might take a few trys to get both cams IN.

just did the same job on an 04 sorento last week, timing belts not to bad, it's changing the spark plugs that is a real Pain in the ass...

just roll the timing gears back to wear they go, if you have all the other marks lined up then it is as simple as putting a wrench on the end of the cam and rolling it back to were it goes

Well drivers side is lined up passenger's side is not. Should I take off the belt and rotate the cams clockwise until the timing marks are lined up? The tensioner pulley is giving me a hard time also I need to have it put tension on the belt then pull the pin on the auto tensioner. Man I wish Kenmore wasn't so far away if you were closer I'd ask you to give me a hand.

Well drivers side is lined up passenger's side is not. Should I take off the belt and rotate the cams clockwise until the timing marks are lined up? The tensioner pulley is giving me a hard time also I need to have it put tension on the belt then pull the pin on the auto tensioner. Man I wish Kenmore wasn't so far away if you were closer I'd ask you to give me a hand.

ya your pretty far away...

and i wouldnt turn the cams clockwise

the passanger side is off a few for sure, did they spin around a full revolution or are they only a few coggs away from being in time on the right stoke?

if they only moved a couple coggs i would just rotate them back to were they need to be and not worry about it,

what is the problem with the auto tensioner?

ya your pretty far away...

and i wouldnt turn the cams clockwise

the passanger side is off a few for sure, did they spin around a full revolution or are they only a few coggs away from being in time on the right stoke?

if they only moved a couple coggs i would just rotate them back to were they need to be and not worry about it,

what is the problem with the auto tensioner?

The whole rotating assembly has been rotated when I was turning the crank to get #1 at TDC. The crank and drivers side are lined up passenger's side is not. The auto tensioner is new I just have to compress it and stick the pin in it and reinstall. The belt had jumped when I was rotating it I didn't fawk it up did I??

set the crank tdc, then set the cams on their marks, slide the belt on, and throw the tensioner in.

turn the crank clockwise 2 full revolutions. recheck the timing marks. note* they will be off. count how many teeth off, and note which direction. now pull the tensioner again, reset to tdc, and then set the cams to their correct postions, utilizing the info u gained from the first time.

then put it back together with the tensioner, and rotate it 2 revolutions again.

set the crank tdc, then set the cams on their marks, slide the belt on, and throw the tensioner in.

turn the crank clockwise 2 full revolutions. recheck the timing marks. note* they will be off. count how many teeth off, and note which direction. now pull the tensioner again, reset to tdc, and then set the cams to their correct postions, utilizing the info u gained from the first time.

then put it back together with the tensioner, and rotate it 2 revolutions again.
So are you saying to set everything to it's respective timing mark and slide belt on and rotate? I am worried about bending a valve..

So are you saying to set everything to it's respective timing mark and slide belt on and rotate? I am worried about bending a valve..
you will have to rotate the cams slightly AS you slide the belt on. it can be a bitch. since the cams will be up on the lobes just slightly, and will try to turn the cam a bit.

but yeh, bascially line it all up, and turn it. if you turn it by HAND, you wont bend anything.

Hey thanks nevada did just like you said it took a few tries but finally with the help of a good friend we got everything lined up as perfect as it was going to get. But we actually put the belt on opposite of what I found on line and it work out better everything stayed lined up. Unlike the way the book said which kept throwing the crank off. Got it all back together and it purs like a kitten. The owner only cares if it last him a few weeks reason wh the timing belt wasn't getting changed while I was in there he is going to get a 05+ 4Runner.

Thanks

What the hell are you talking about??? If the timing marks are properly set, and the slack is taken up in all positions except where the tensioner goes---then install the tensioner, set the preload on the 'auto' portion of the tensioner, snug the lock bolt down.....AS LONG AS THE MARKS and TDC ARE SET PROPERLY, AND THE TENSIONER IS SET PROPERLY,THE CAM TIMING MARKS WILL NOT "BE OFF" when the crank is rotated 2 revolutions , as you stated...

What the hell are you talking about??? If the timing marks are properly set, and the slack is taken up in all positions except where the tensioner goes---then install the tensioner, set the preload on the 'auto' portion of the tensioner, snug the lock bolt down.....AS LONG AS THE MARKS and TDC ARE SET PROPERLY, AND THE TENSIONER IS SET PROPERLY,THE CAM TIMING MARKS WILL NOT "BE OFF" when the crank is rotated 2 revolutions , as you stated...
yeh, without a way to hold the cams, theres no way he was gonna get all the slack out of the slack side. so once the tensioner pulls the slack over, the cams will be off.

i dono, but apparently it worked:fawkdancesmiley:

yeh, without a way to hold the cams, theres no way he was gonna get all the slack out of the slack side. so once the tensioner pulls the slack over, the cams will be off.

i dono, but apparently it worked:fawkdancesmiley:
I'll give ya that...:fawkdancesmiley: er... how bout two :fawkdancesmiley::fawkdancesmiley: :haha:
Yeah, That's why I like the little brake hose pinch off clamps.... they work great for holding the belt to each cam pulley while slipping the belt on....Just gotta remember to remove all of them before installing the covers!!!---:D

I'll give ya that...:fawkdancesmiley: er... how bout two :fawkdancesmiley::fawkdancesmiley: :haha:
Yeah, That's why I like the little brake hose pinch off clamps.... they work great for holding the belt to each cam pulley while slipping the belt on....Just gotta remember to remove all of them before installing the covers!!!---:D
i use the the black binder clips. works pretty good. sometimes i still get 1 cam a tooth off every now and then on the DOHC's.:mad:

haha, yeh thatd help:haha:

Yes it worked and it will soon be out of my hands. I learned a lesson on this one don't volunteer to work on friends cars unless they can help. So if oyu mess something up at least they were there with you...I'll stick to messing with my Yota had great luck with them..:cool: