• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need help with 85 toyota clutch

AW10

I replaced my transmission with a Toyota 5 speed. I think its a G52 because the front seal retainer uses 8 bolts and the transfer case that came with it is a forward shift and it came out of an 85 pickup I bought. Long story short I put the transmission in myself and bought new bearings and an ACT clutch. Also bought new master and slave cylinders. After I got all the air out of the line I couldn't compress the clutch pedal any more. It is so stiff that the firewall will move in and out before the clutch will go down. I was thinking I had some air in the line so I bled and bled and bled but it still didn't fix the problem. Every thing I read seems to think that the pedal will feel spongy if there is air in the line but im having the opposite problem. I tore it back apart and couldn't find anything that looked out of place and I cant see anywhere where that says I need a bigger slave cylinder for my clutch. All it said was "A low to moderate pedal feel; aggressive engagement with stock to low to moderate gear rattle." This is the clutch http://www.advancedclutch.com/tc5-hdg4. The fingers of the clutch do not look the be compressed but I cant be 100% sure. Everything Is new with 0 rides so I doubt its a part failure.

Since I cant tell if anything is wrong I took some pics and Im hoping its something stupid and simple im just looking over or did wrong. Has anyone had a clutch pedal too stiff from air in the line?? Could it be something catching in the shaft of the trans??

Re:

O don't think your problem is air something is eather in wroung or you have a part that's bad or not the correct part

Thanks for the replies. I took the clutch apart and according to the sticker I had it installed correctly. I wouldn't think they would put the sticker on the wrong side but here are some pics anyway.

Flywheel side

Pressure plate side

How I had it in

Look correct?

That looks correct to me. I see no reason that clutch shouldn't release. Check the slave cylinder and make sure it is moving when you press the pedal without it being bolted to the trans. I got a new one from the parts store one time that the bleeder hole wasn't drilled deep enough to hit the fluid cavity. Maybe yous isn't getting fluid to the cylinder bore for some reason? Otherwise, I'm Stumped. Everything in the pictures looks fine.

something about that photo of shift fork, throwout, and the piviot ball .. looks a little off. But I cant put my finger on why. fork looks bottomed out. wrong bell housing for the trans combo? or wrong fork and throwout combo? I could be totally wrong !! :dunno:

on a side note that puck clutch is going to be almost an on off switch. the clutches of that style that I have run always engage at the bottom of the pedal

Everything came out of a running truck so I doubt that's the problem. Thinking about getting a used stock Toyota clutch and see if that works.

Thanks for the help though!

Could the linkage be the issue, as in the clutch fork is in a bind or the master cylinder push rod needs some adjusting? Just trying to rule small stuff out. :dunno:

Some of the perfection brand parts from advance can be lower quality stuff. I went through 2 MCs on my blue truck without a whole lot of use.

billstoy said:
something about that photo of shift fork, throwout, and the piviot ball .. looks a little off. But I cant put my finger on why. fork looks bottomed out. wrong bell housing for the trans combo? or wrong fork and throwout combo? I could be totally wrong !! :dunno: i agree it looks like the the hub for the throwout bearing is short or broken off some