• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

need help with keeping a drive shaft (pics added)

30th6

ok my samurai keeps breaking 1/2ton spicer u joints. I broke the ears off my yoke on the ds and broke the keeper off my yoke on my dana 300 along with the u joint sat at witc.
I was abusing it but I feel like I shouldn't be breaking these parts.

I was gonna see what everybody else ran, maybe Im using the wrong brands of parts.

my samurai has 4.3/th350/dana 300, toy axels,cut 33 boggers,ect.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Re: need help with keeping a drive shaft

Is it possible the drive dhaft is too long, and it bottoming out.

Re: Re: need help with keeping a drive shaft

the lenght is ok,its not on a great angle but nowhere near binding.
my anti wrap bar got bent and broke sat and that may be what took them out this time.but ive broke 2 other u joints before this time and they always take out the yokes on the drive shaft and tcase when they do.

30th6 said:
the lenght is ok,its not on a great angle but nowhere near binding.
my anti wrap bar got bent and broke sat and that may be what took them out this time.but ive broke 2 other u joints before this time and they always take out the yokes on the drive shaft and tcase when they do.

My vote is pinion angle due to lack of wheelbase

the pinion angle is ok it usually breaks at the t case.ive seen rigs with worse angles.like my front shaft has bad angles and is a two peice shaft but dont give me any troubles.
is spicer forged u joints ok?ive been through afew of them but I though they were a good brand.

So your breaking 1310's? If at the t-case end always then i would guess that you need a cv shaft

Idk if it helps. But I noticed the other day extended cab sanoma with the 2 piece shaft has a rear shaft that has a double cardan joint at BOTH ends. Might be something to try

would I be better running a larger u joint or go with a jeep cv shaft?

Re: Re: Re: Re: need help with keeping a drive shaft

Neal3000 said:
never heard of this ,what year? is there a yoke to fit the dana 300 to fit the cv shaft?
I still have to use a 1310 joint on the toyota flange, but maybe it would be strong at the case.

You should be able to get a cv flange for a 1350 easy......i think they started using those in superdutys when they went to the radius arm front suspension around '03 i think? Theres a ton of them in junkyards now because of the infamous 6.0

I couldn't find a super duty shaft local,i had a old chevy cv shaft I cut down ,maybe it will stay together.fingers crossed.

a3emaru9.jpg

I had a problem similiar on my jeep, my rearend was drooping down alot when i would give it the ol southern bump and binding, then making mine break . I went with 1410 joints and the bigger body lets them have more drive angle but that was just my solution, might be a bit big for what your running ( probably is for mine too ) ...i agree c.v. if u can match it up

A front output yoke from a Jeep NP231 will work on a Dana 300 without issue. Ford Explorers and Cherokees are good sources for 1310 cv shafts. Best case is to find a Cherokee and get the front driveshaft and front transfer case yoke.

Early broncos have the 1310s. Full size broncos have the 1350s both with CVs.....L

We have built custom double weld yoke shafts for shorter wheelbase vehicles to alleviate this issue. Same concept Highangle uses just they don't cost 2k.
Most off the shelf CVs will not help your problem.
A 1410 joint would be a fix but fitting it on that flange bolt pattern will present a problem
Jimmy

Latest posts