• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need Toyota 5 speed trans. help asap

Avanteone

Working on 1981 Toyota 4x4 5 Speed. Customer says all was working well, went to get off freeway, wouldn't come out of fifth gear. He was messing with it, and JERKED the stick back and it came out of 5th. Now it won't do anything. We pulled shifter, it has the obvious ball/socket wear but it's more than that. Pulled the trans. and entire top shifter assembly. Trans. components shift easily enough, but can't get the forks, etc. on the shifter itself to move anywhere. Anything common I can look for? I know zilch about these internals. Any help is appreciated, willing to pay someone (preferably South End) who can fix it. I don't think the problem is internal, as everything there moves freely.

John
253 939 5019

036.jpg

035.jpg

034.jpg

Sheered roll pin maybe??? Something to the main shaft had to have moved---looks like there's a significant spot of rust where the main shaft exits the housing heading up to the shifter housing...Kinda hard to decifer with the pics you have....
Maaaybe a couple overhead shots of the shifter housing guts would help the cause...???

With the housing off the trans, the forks should move...if not, something's stuck. I'm not claiming to be a trans expert John...the main shaft should move as the one fork looks like it's roll-pinned to it. Is this the one that doesn't move (either forward/back or side to side), or the other one???

So the main shaft that the shifter physically attaches to moves fore and aft. It appears that the fork for 1st and 2nd can be moved fore and aft. The reverse/5th side is jammed, and the center one I think is jammed up.

Wish I were closer or it were earlier in the day, I'd come take a look (I'm always up for a challenge!)---sounds like a pin/detent ball or something came loose and jammed it up (seems to me from memory the 5th/rev rail should move, but not sure about the other)...But I'm sure someone closer and more intimate with these trannies will help you out---lord knows you've helped many folks John! :redneck:

Can ya twist and slide the cover off of the stick itself? Then pull the stick out of the tower?

I have had two of those things that I had to remove the shifter and the channels that the pins on the side of the tower sit in to keep the shifter from turning were all hogged out and letting the shifter fall under the pins and rotate all over the place or get jammed up and bind operations.

I would then weld/build up the worn area around the channels and top and then grind/cut the channel back in with the chopsaw blade and form the ball portion with a flapper disc.

Could well be---but it might be worth taking a closer look at the jammed one...although I do understand this is for a customer, right? Might be worth the piece of mind to get the Marlin unit....