• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

new bling for the samurai! petroworks 44mm screaming eagle kit

rooinater

well it's not my wheeler, it's not really modified, but my daily driver for now. nothing else major going on with this for awhile. the choke on the carb died, a spring came off the side somewhere... the carb was essentially shot, i tried replacing all the gaskets with a over the counter rebuild kit. the carb started working even worse... when i got the tin top zuk 6 months or so ago i was averaging between 25 and 28mpg... i'm now averaging between 16 and 19 since the carb started rolling down hill... so since it's my daily driver it takes priority #1. tax returns went to a petroworks CV kit, a doug thorley header and a 2" turbo muffler. the exhaust is shot also... hopefully i'll have recovered enough from my appendectemy to install this stuff this weekend!

intake3.jpg

intake2.jpg

intake1.jpg

IMG_6447.jpg

moderators, if you feel so inclined move it to the garage. i just figured since i was just showing off some pics of the new parts and was not planning on doing an install report i'd post it in the general 4x4 section.

Last edited:
i don't remember all the details,... it's been awhile since i searched about them. i've been on the waiting list for at least 6 weeks, and even longer since i did the research. basically, better flow since it's a true sidedraft carb, increased throttle response... anyone i've talked to on zuk message boards that have ran these setups, have reported a huge increase in throttle response and get up and go over a stock carb. the other supposed advantage, is that unlike a weber, it is less affected by being ran at angles. bikes get ran side to side lean angles with no ill effects anyhow. other than that i'll tell you how it does after i get it on in a week or 2.

the price differance between say petroworks and my-side is fairly large. the petroworks kit can be order as a bolt on kit as i ordered for a heafty 630 bucks. the carb and intake manifold are ready to rock, fuel pressure reg and everything setup, or it can be ordered without the carb and you can supply your own. my-side carbs from what i saw required a lot of tinkering to get the jetting and everything dialed in, same with petro's if you supplied a used carb. with a fully bolt on kit from petroworks, most all the guess work is taken out. the most i might need to do is let the needle valve down a notch if it runs too rich. i hate messing with complicated carbs, but motorcycle carbs i've been working on since i was like 12. simplicity and power gains with keeping a respective amount of fuel economy. that was the other thing i noticed when researching, the couple people that were running the petroworks were maintaining similar to stock mpg, the myside's since they are more tinker at your own risk were getting slightly worse mpg... so i chose the kit that was supposed to be the least hassle and supposedly better.

i didn't want efi either, i hate electronics, especially after being an aviounics tech for harriers for 4 years...

other than that i don't know the details... probably because the carbs are meant to give a constant velocity of fuel at all angles... hell if i know.

Last edited:
keeping true to your signature... :fawkdancesmiley: :fawkdancesmiley: as i said, "hell if i know," just throwing a random thought out there. all i know is the carb is supposed to be a lot better than the crapped out carb i have.

keeping true to your signature... :fawkdancesmiley: :fawkdancesmiley: as i said, "hell if i know," just throwing a random thought out there. all i know is the carb is supposed to be a lot better than the crapped out carb i have.

Jus' doing my job. :redneck: If it has a float bowl there will be some angle where it can no longer properly meter the fuel.

:fawkdancesmiley: since for the next few years it'll be a concrete pounder... :fawkdancesmiley: not real concerned... my weber doesn't do bad on the subaru at angles, but i don't try going over way off camber and steep climbs all the time... the plan for this rig is a DD to college and work, if i get another DD without selling this rig, then mods will be started and the vehicle will be given to my dad.

the toyota will be for wheeling, the zuki for DD and i'll be selling the subaru after a few more trips so that i can finish the yota...

Nothing like a little bling. The header and carb kit you will enjoy. I have the My-Side version one. I supplied the used carb that I haven't been able to get running correctly. I took it apart and found that it had been previously modified and theres something that is not right in it. I have been watching ebay and seeing some new to farely new carbs going for under 100.00.

Does your samurai still have the stock catalytic converter on it and are you keeping it on there? If it does and your not going to use it would be interested in buying it from you if it hasn't been hollowed out yet.

Nathan

as far as i know it's not hollowed out, the sami is in really good condition, the last 2 owners, my grandparents included, used it as a tow behind for motorhome trips. so most of the mileage was tow mileage. definately willing to sell it, i'll be getting rid of it all together. just need to find a shop out here that will install the exhaust without the cat. i live outside of emissions, so i don't need it and wasn't paying extra for a highflow cat when i can really have a highflow cat... i won't be installing the exhaust for a weekend or 2. i just had surgery 2 weeks ago, so i can't lift and install it.

Last edited:
100_0570.jpg

100_0561.jpg

one day she'll be a wheeler, i tried to keep her on the dirt roads when we went to naches... but i hadn't been there in years and as they say, "curiosity killed the cat..." the plan is to prep her to wheel, but not to wheel, and hand her off to my dad in a few years... if all goes as planned.

Last edited: