• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

new tow rig...

leadfoot067

my 1997 is gone and i got a 2004 cummins and 6 speed...
087.jpg

089.jpg

091.jpg

march 04....whats the difference tween 04 and 04.5?

totally different programming.. 3 injections instead of 2.. 04.5's+ seem to do worse on mileage and run hotter.. UNLESS you get something like the Smarty.. then it's down (and mileage up) to where it should be. 04.5's seem to make a little more power. But you'd be able to make way more then enough with the early 04.

march 04....whats the difference tween 04 and 04.5?
March shuld be an 04.5 best way to tell is off the id tag. Its mounted to ether the side of the valve cover or the top of the apps if it still has on. Also, 04.5 has a catalitic converter. Early ones don't.

As jeff said earlys tend to get better milage than the late ones due to the aditional injection event and added emmisions equipment. However the late ones make a bit more power stock, with a few mods they equal out powerwise .

If it doesn't have gauges yet, that's your first step, then id add a programer for better milage and power. Smarty would be my choice.

03-19-04 is the date on the tag on the motor, also says model is ISB 325...and it has a cat...

if ya just want a good tow rig with good mileage, less heat and a little more getyup.. Get a smarty Jr... :awesomework:.. If ya think you will want a little more down the road.. regular smarty will do the trick. Lemme know if/when you want to get one.

March shuld be an 04.5 best way to tell is off the id tag. Its mounted to ether the side of the valve cover or the top of the apps if it still has on. Also, 04.5 has a catalitic converter. Early ones don't.

As jeff said earlys tend to get better milage than the late ones due to the aditional injection event and added emmisions equipment. However the late ones make a bit more power stock, with a few mods they equal out powerwise .

If it doesn't have gauges yet, that's your first step, then id add a programer for better milage and power. Smarty would be my choice.

+1 on the smarty.

But don't the 50 State cummins come with the Cats? I cannot remember when the CARB killed the diesels.

+1 on the smarty.

But don't the 50 State cummins come with the Cats? I cannot remember when the CARB killed the diesels.

The rams before 98.5 had cats and the rams after 04.5 had cats..

And before you bang your head against the wall when you do exhaust.. If you want a nice sound but don't want it LOUD.. single muffler, dual 4"... We tried numerous setups on my Dad's 05 and that is the absolute best for sound/noise/towing etc..

When I did my 08 I left the resonator on and replaced everything else (2 Cats and a DPF) with 4" pipe. Has a good sound and doesn't drone on the freeway.

Latest posts