• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

New Truck

84Toyota4x4

Well, I finally bought myself something I could tow with when the time comes. I thought I would post so I can hear all the bad things people have to say about it being a GMC and not a Dodge :fawkdancesmiley:

It's a 2006 (LBZ and 6 speed Allison of course) fully loaded Sierra SLT 2500 4x4 and had 82,500 miles on it when I bought it. It was bought new in Oregon and was a 1 owner truck until I grabbed it over the past weekend. Everything seems to be fairly stock and in great shape. It's duties for now are just hauling things from the hardware store, hauling my son around (the room in the back for the car seat was a big selling point over Dodge), and daily driving. My first tank through it I got 17 MPG on average commuting, so basically the exact same as my WRX I was previously using to commute. Also, since Diesel is within $0.10 to $0.20 of premium I had to buy for the WRX, I'm not sure I will see much of a change in costs there, haha.

The only things I have noticed so far is it has some 265/75 tires with a load range C instead of the stock 245/75 load range Es, but I like the look of the 265/75 mud/snow terrain tires and don't plan to tow much more right now than a 1/2 ton truck could do anyway until I get my wheeler going again. Any suggestions for a good tire to put on this thing? I'd like to replace them before the ones on it lose too much more tread since they look like they have a decent amount and I can probably sell them to recoup some of the cash for new tires.

It also has a cheap looking trailer brake controller and a gooseneck hitch in the bed, but the ball looks fairly unused. It also had an aftermarket grill insert on it (in the picture), but I pulled it off because I prefer the stock look. The interior is near mint with only a small tear in the leather on one seat and a little wear on the radio buttons as usual in most of these. Also, the plug on the end of the block heater cord is missing, not sure why. It's been cut clean off, kind of strange. I was thinking it could have been because it was wired up to some kind of custom plug, or maybe the heater is shorted out and it got cut off so it couldn't be used, but I don't know why you would cut it instead of just unplugging it from the heater?

My basic plans at this point are to look into taking care of all the maintenance items, then looking into reliability mods, a leveling kit, I'm toying with the idea of an MBRP 4" stainless exhaust system, and I will eventually get an auxiliary input system for the factory Bose system. I think that's about it for now.

Anyway, I am looking forward to hopefully a few years of easy maintenance and enjoying it before it starts giving me any troubles, haha.

~T.J.

photo.jpg

Last edited:
There very comfortable and fun to drive. I have taken several long road trips in mine and never get out soar and stiff.:beer:

That's not a truck? Where's the 8' bed??? :fawkdancesmiley:

J/K!!! Nice rig...Looks well kept. :awesomework: Are these susceptible to injector issues like the earlier D-max's? I think so, but can't remember...Ohhhh Crash???? :redneck:

There very comfortable and fun to drive. I have taken several long road trips in mine and never get out soar and stiff.:beer:
That's the plan. We wanted something that could be used as a truck to haul stuff from the hardware store, tow just about anything I could attach to it, and yet still be comfortable/luxurious inside and have room in the back for my son and his rear facing seat when we decide to hit the road for a long trip or simply daily driving.

That pretty much only describes these trucks in my opinion. Sure there are better options for other things and other reasons, but for what we wanted, this seemed like the way to go.
That's not a truck? Where's the 8' bed??? :fawkdancesmiley:
Haha, I went back and forth about this actually, but in the end, the SB won out because I didn't want to daily drive and park a LB. The CCSB combo is fun enough as it is.
J/K!!! Nice rig...Looks well kept. :awesomework: Are these susceptible to injector issues like the earlier D-max's? I think so, but can't remember...Ohhhh Crash???? :redneck:
It seems to be fairly well kept indeed. As for the injectors, my understanding is they are not AS susceptible or as common, but it's not impossible. I figure it's a slight trade off since the rest of the truck seems to match my families needs.

Also, does anyone know of any good Chevy/GMC/Diesel forums I can look to for information? I have found a lot of crap just searching around Google, but there are so many freaking forums out there it would be nice to narrow it down with some recommendations.

~T.J.

I would get rid of those 6ply (load range c) asap. It is unsafe go with anything lower than what came on it from the factory, which were 10ply load range e. You can get 10ply 265/75/xx in 10ply.
It may be ok to drive around and haul light loads, but i would recommend going with a tire that matches the load rating that came from the factory.
Just my opinion! :redneck:

I went through a couple sets of tires before I was satisfied with the "all around" tire. I tend to need a tire that will get me up and around on f-s roads in the winter/summer and wanted good traction while doing so, and then had to be quiet enough and ride good for my wife to daily drive. So far the BFG AT is the ****. Has plenty of all I wanted and still quiet enough for me! E rated and actually holds up really well with @4500ish lbs in the bed!

Nice rig! You'll love it:awesomework:

I would get rid of those 6ply (load range c) asap. It is unsafe go with anything lower than what came on it from the factory, which were 10ply load range e. You can get 10ply 265/75/xx in 10ply.
It may be ok to drive around and haul light loads, but i would recommend going with a tire that matches the load rating that came from the factory.
Just my opinion! :redneck:
Indeed. I have been going back and forth on this for a while because the tires are basically 1/2 ton truck tires and will hold the weight, but they won't let me inflate them to the correct pressures, so steering and handling are affected. Thus, I am back to replacing them again, haha.
I went through a couple sets of tires before I was satisfied with the "all around" tire. I tend to need a tire that will get me up and around on f-s roads in the winter/summer and wanted good traction while doing so, and then had to be quiet enough and ride good for my wife to daily drive. So far the BFG AT is the ****. Has plenty of all I wanted and still quiet enough for me! E rated and actually holds up really well with @4500ish lbs in the bed!

Nice rig! You'll love it:awesomework:
Thanks. I have thought about the BFG AT. I have also been hearing good things about the Dueler Revo 2s. A friend has them on his Dodge and is impressed, and when I swung by the Chevy dealership they had a couple sets sitting in the parts showroom with "sold" tags on them. The parts guy said they have been selling a lot of them also.

Right now I need to get my leveling kit on so I can see where I'm at and if I want to try and go larger than the 265/75. I have the kit sitting on the kitchen counter, I just haven't got anything to compress the torsion bars with yet. I don't have a ball joint press set, and I was thinking about using a 2-jaw puller with chain instead of the jaw arms, but I haven't gotten around to anything yet.

I also have 4" MBRP exhaust sitting in the garage that needs to go on. I might get around to installing that today actually...

~T.J.

After having 2 Badyear Wronglers fail on my dodge, I wont buy them for a rig that hauls. EVER.

I have had great success with the BFG mudders. KM2, I think. They look like a crawler tread. They are 10 ply/LR E and drive nicley. They wore a little faster than I like, but thats OK.

I have played with military tires a bit. My take on them.

OLD bias GY, good, noisy last long time, drive crappy.

OLD radial GY, good, not as noisy. last long time, drive great, wear great.

NEW radial GY MTR, havent had enough even come in to assemble a set of 4. They all seem to have sidewall damage. They seem to be JUNK. Maybe a great SOFT wheeling tire, but it has NO bizz being on a real truck.

The military promptly stopped using the goodyear and has contracted BFG to provide truck tires now.

The BFGs kick ass, Ive sold lots and have got NO complaints. We dont receive them with damage like the GY either.

Just my .02