• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Not your average shop heater...

Bigrocks4x4

I've been needing a heater for my shop for a while now, so i just decided to build an oil drip. It's a 24"x24"60", so maybe it will at least keep my shop comfortable during the cold months. Oh yea, and it has a little blower on it too, just in case... booyang

Angryfab built one similar to this last year.

clemsonjeep said:
I have to admit I have no idea what's going on in most of those pictures...but it looks cool as hell! Nice work!

Me too, ain't figured out what all the pipe holes are for on the back or whatever side that is lol. I missed out on Advanced Heater Fabricating 101 in school :****:

clemsonjeep said:
I have to admit I have no idea what's going on in most of those pictures...but it looks cool as hell! Nice work!

Ha, this was my first heater build so i tried to 'over-build' it a little. I have a 60'x90' shop im trying to heat with it. The airbox on the back of the heater with all the short tubes was just some scrap cutoff pieces i used for two things: to try and slow the air down some, and soak up more heat to blow out because i used a central unit blower and wasn't sure if it would blow too much air, or blow most of the heat out of the tubes after a few minutes. I built a manifold on the inside, ( didn't think to take a pic of it) that has four long tubes running from the top to bottom and 180 back up and out each side of the headers. I built it like that to soak up more heat also. The nine bottom tubes just blow straight through, but air circulates across the whole back of the heater before it blows out. thumb.gif

The top wheel is a intake tube. The smaller tube that goes in to it, comes from the blower so i can open the ball valve, close the intakes, and force air in to the heater to make it hotter. The top intake tube runs down to around 15 inches or so from the blow through tubes below the door on the inside. I had a frying pan sitting on the tubes with a bowl turned upside down in it for oil to drip on. The intake air blows the oil down around the pan and makes a better burn, supposedly. But i have since quit using the top intake and just use the bottom two, and stacked some scrap metal in the frying pan for oil to drip on to make a bigger fire, and seems to work alot better. Like i said this was my first one, and i tried to over build it a little bc im trying to heat 5,400 sq ft.

A lot lotta damn thinkin went into a fire box. Looks bad ass and I'm definitely no knockin it, just way past my ability to think lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:

Ahhh I thought that may had been the case, but wasn't sure if you had some sort of buried connection to it or what lol.

What do you have for insulation on that shop? Does the heater seem to be keeping it warm inside? How warm can you get the shop compared to the outside temps?

AllGoNoShow said:
What do you have for insulation on that shop? Does the heater seem to be keeping it warm inside? How warm can you get the shop compared to the outside temps?

It has the 3" metal building insulation top and sides, and insulated doors. So far it is keeping it comfortable, but it hasnt been below freezing since i got it going, so im not sure how its gonna do just yet. The heater is getting as hot as its gonna get tho. I had the sides glowing the other night it was so hot. I may add another blower box on top, around the exhaust, to get more heat out, if need be.