• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Novak ECU?

Hellbilly

Novak ESC?

I have a Novak crawler ESC I plugged the battery in and the ESC started flashing all the lights (switch was off) a second later there was a little smoke I unplugged the battery (connection was hot to the touch) The smoke came from the wires that go to the on/off switch (wires melted together) I cut the wire past the melted part stripped back the wire and separated them turned it back on and I get the same thing (flashing lights).

So my ? is, Is the ESC toast or what? Should I send it back to Novak or just go buy a new one?

Last edited:
well come the shitty club that is "raped by Novak" I've had it happen twice and MIke (Crash) has had it happen once or twice to him.

If you bought it new, it should have a warranty. Go to their website, download the form and send it in. If its under warranty it'll be replace free, if you were like me and bought something 2nd hand you can still get it fixed through their service department cheaper then buying a new one.

What speed controller was it? The Rooster Crawler? Brushless? I've had a Rooster Crawler Brushless set up along with an older Novak Rooster go tits up...sucks...:rolleyes:

oh and protect yourself in the future. Even with the power switch off, make sure the battery pack is unplugged...I don't even use my switch its always in the on position. I learned that lesson...

If it's under warrenty still, have them fix it, then ebay it/sell it to someone you don't like, because it will more than likely fry again. My old sport brushless system did that, I fried it dicking around on flat ground, started flashing the thermal overload code (heat sinks weren't even warm yet) and wouldn't do ****. Sent it to Novak, and thinking it'd been fixed sold it to my buddy, he fried it in about a month and a half, in a MUCH lighter, far less radical 'pede than I had.

If it's under warrenty still, have them fix it, then ebay it/sell it to someone you don't like, because it will more than likely fry again.

I've had good luck with my Speed Controller once it was replaced. I make a habit of always unplugging my battery pack, but I've beat on it pretty good in the 4-5 months sense it was replaced. No issues so far...

well come the shitty club that is "raped by Novak" I've had it happen twice and MIke (Crash) has had it happen once or twice to him.

mike likes to get ****ed by novak. I pointed out what a POS thier **** was after I got a new mamba max.
mike defended them and stated how good they were with costomer service.
I dont like crap. even if its replaced promptly time after time.:rolleyes:

for what trikekid said, get rid of it on ebay once its new. that waranty only lasts for a year from origanal purchase. not a year from its replacement.:booo:

I was gonna say something when there were no replies yet, but did not feel like getting flamed by the novak lovers. at least others see through thier shitty product. there is only like 40 pages of novak problems on RCCRAWLERs site.:puke:

Thanks for the help!:beer: I looked for my receipt and didn't find it so I went and bought a new one!:rolleyes:

I'm still going to send it in and just have to pay for the repair and if it happens again I will have it as a replacement!

just to be clear I would never be one to defend Novak. Personally I think they are WAY over-rated, I like that their junk is easy to use when it works. Some say its limiting, as the profiles don't have the programing options or they can't handle as much power but for me I don't want to tinker with a speed controller. I like being able to pull it out of the box and slapping it on the crawler.

yes they are quick to replace their product but the customer service sucks. When I called to ask what happened they said they didn't know they simply toss the old piece. No testing done, unless its under warranty. To me thats not customer service.

That's why you should run Castle stuff... :redneck: I am very happy with my Sidewinder. I have heard a lot of good stuff about the Telkin FXR as well, I probably would have gone with one of those, but it couldn't handle the voltage I run.

Factory specs on the FXR is a rating of 3 cell lipo, I have been running it on 4s with no problems...no overheating or glitching.With the fire wire you can do a custom voltage cut off of 12v, programing thru the ESC only allows 9v.