• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Np261 Help

onepieceatatime

I like turtles...
Working on my sister 2004 Chevy 1500. It had a weird grinding kind of noise that I swore was coming from the tcase. Took the tcase off and apart and found the rear snap ring holding the rear bearing on the main shaft was all chewed up and the bearing was shot. Put a new one on along with a new rear case, played with it on the bench before I put it in and it seemed good to go. Throw the tcase back in, fill er up and roll down the road only to find it still making the same noise. Kind of feels like it's in between gears maybe and doesn't seem to make the noise in 4wd. Any ideas on what I'm missing? Case is a NP261LD manual shift case.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mikeparker said:
Linkage out of adjustment? Could a ujoint be bad?

Had to help the inlaws with some stuff tonight so I only got to play with moving the truck back and forward a little bit and noticed that it feels pretty solid going into 4L 4H and 2H, its hard to find a solid neutral position so maybe its going back and forth from 2H to Neutral?? :dunno: :dunno:

I reckon I could try manually putting it in 2H and disconnecting the linkage and see if it still does it.

This is the first time I've really messed with a manual shift tcase on these trucks so I'm not real sure how its supposed to feel. Although it seems to go in some gears pretty firm the shifter seems kind of sloppy while in those gears.

Is the disconnect on the front axle working? as in it moves the full length of travel? I worked on a mid 90's blazer that was doing something similar to this and that was what was hanging up

Re: Re: Np261 Help

Bronco72 said:
Is the disconnect on the front axle working? as in it moves the full length of travel? I worked on a mid 90's blazer that was doing something similar to this and that was what was hanging up
Never thought to look into that because it seemed like a it was just a tcase issue and didn't think the front axle would be involved with it but I'll look into it.

Pulled the case and found that the snap ring on the rear bearing popped off. Can't decide if I didn't get in on all the way because you have to do it through a small inspection hole or if something else popped it out.