• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Oil change light

I do our buggies once a year or as needed if I over heat it or something where I think it's been burned . Sometimes that's motor maintance and it gets
Done twice but ... Usually once a year . The tace buggy gets it after almost every race, it sees a lot more sit and dirt and temp
Gauge gets pinned a lot !

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to watch this next oil change interval and go to 5k and see what an oil analysis shows compared to the vehicle percentage info. Then, increase or decrease changes according after that.

I've got a buddy with an early 2000's Nissan Pathfinder and about the same year model F150 reg cab 2wd and he changes oil once a year. :wtflol: Drives much more than 3-5k miles a year. He just don't give 2 shits. Ppl like that can get away with it, I would do it and the motor would lock up in the 2nd year molaugh :****:

Re:

Its kinda sad how spoiled we're all getting.

Last 2 vehicles I've owned had "auto headlights" that just come on when you need it.

Drove wife's mustang once to movie theater and on way out was like "****.....headlights suck on these cars." She's like "try turning them on first"

****. :(

I change mine at 3000 in all our vehicles, synthetic oil and have never had an oil related break down.

I have seen too many engines have problems related to long oil change intervals to believe in the 8-10k intervals. I also drive the snot out my stuff, so rather safe than sorry. That reminder is nothing more than a timer that counts down by days and mileage, you wouldn't believe the people who think their car actually has some magical oil quality sensor that determines when oil has reached the end of it's useful life.

My 2006 F150 gets it changed every 3,000 with regular oil. My wife's 2014 Mazda 6 is every 5,000 with synthetic. Aggrevates the crap outta me that so many people I know can drive their vehicles like 15,000+ miles between oil changes, never do any maintainence, and never have issues. I just don't have that kind of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most brand new cars will go about 60k on zero oil changes. Whether they are just stories mechanics tell or not. I've "heard" of a couple lock ups due to not ever putting oil from day one.

Oil light in my 2015 Dodge came on at 15k the first time and 15k the 2nd time. It looked like used oil, not burnt or overly dirty. That's the longest I've ever had a truck go before the change oil light came on, 4K-5K more than the 2014 Dodge I had previously. Maybe not the best idea but the manual and dealer both said roll it until it comes on. Ironically, the change fuel filter light comes on shortly after the change oil light. Double whammy

Just to add a little bit of info...most medium sized industrial diesels (40-750hp) are rated to run between 1400 and 2100ish rpm, same as your typical diesel truck rolling down the road. Those engines typically have 500 hour oil changes, some even roll to 750 and I have seen the rare 1000. The commonly used conversion is 40mph average which equates to 375 hours to drive 15k miles.

My truck has 31216 miles and 786 engine run hours. That's 39.6 mph average, right on the common conversion.

If I'm doing it wrong, I'm doing it WAY wrong on the 400+ diesel engines in our rental fleet. I'm fairly certain most of the thousands of engines we have built and sold to customers are being treated worse.

2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO
Next one is in the oven!

Re:

My buddy went for Ag Diesel in college and his professor went 75k miles on his 7.3 with synthetic just changing filters, topping off the oil and doing an oil analysis with every filter change and he claimed that the oil was still good at 75k.

I changed the oil on my 8.1 when I first out 3k on it and a couple thousand later the oil light I never knew was on there went off. I thought I read that the light was based off rpms, and temperature?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

onepieceatatime said:
I changed the oil on my 8.1 when I first out 3k on it and a couple thousand later the oil light I never knew was on there went off. I thought I read that the light was based off rpms, and temperature?

That light came on at 5k, based on whatever trigger the computer geek at GM set in it. They all have to be told in some manner that the oil has been changed so the ticker starts over.

2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO
Next one is in the oven!

Using Mobil 1 extended performance and a Mobil 1 filter we go about 10k on a 4.0L Tacoma.

I daily a 01 Civic.. I use whatever full synthetic is on sale :****:

I go anywhere from 5k-10k depending on when I get to it! 8)

Never had any burnt oil or anything exceptionally dirty..

Changed the oil the other day in my finances 98 Toyota Avalon at about 8k miles and it was still nearly golden.

I think oil has came a long way. I bet with a good full synthetic you could easily go 15k.

I bought a Kia brand new in 07 to commute to work, I've ran extended mobile 1 every 15k miles. It's got 270k on it now still going strong. I've never replaced anything but the normal wear stuff breaks, tires, oil.

Re: Re:

onepieceatatime said:
My buddy went for Ag Diesel in college and his professor went 75k miles on his 7.3 with synthetic just changing filters, topping off the oil and doing an oil analysis with every filter change and he claimed that the oil was still good at 75k.

When I worked for an oil company and traveled everywhere in my Duramax, I did the same. We had our own oil lab, so I'd send samples in every 10k.

Went 60k and oil was still checking good... I figured since I got the oil for free I'd go ahead and change it.

That was JAX Maxum 5w40 full synthetic diesel oil

Re:

ranger11 said:
If I waited for the light in the Jk there wouldn't be any oil left. That sucker burns 2-3 qts in 5k miles. I still hate we bought that pos
Really? Dam I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on one... Your the 2nd person to say something like that... Another fella had to replace his wife's JK motor before 100K miles.. And is very anal about up keep.. What year do you have ranger? Just curious. .. That is a dam bummer ..

Re:

Sounds like when the jeep motor blows you'd be money ahead to swap an LS in it.

I must be one of those lucky :JRich: who get by without doing much maintenence. I drive a 08 silverado that has 224927 miles on it. I bought it new and change oil when it gets to 0% then drive a couple more weeks, usually about 7000 miles or so. Usually about a quart low at oil change. Dash says engine has 8962 hrs on it. My only mechanical breakdown was a failed afm lifter about 10000 miles ago, could have been because of lack of oil change but i doubt it. Those things are prone to fail and really lucky to go that long. The whole truck is getting wore out around the engine so if it only goes another 100000 it will be past due for a new truck at that point. Some of my freinds who do religious maintence to their vehicles give me hell about it, but seems they are the ones always having things break down or go out. I cover a territory for work that spans from warrior to tuscaloosa to montgomery. Usually drive over 1000 miles a week. If i changed oil every 3000 mi. that would be very expensive. The funny part is when people tell me I just have been lucky, this is my third truck to wear out around the engine.

Re:

tonybolton said:
Its kinda sad how spoiled we're all getting.

Last 2 vehicles I've owned had "auto headlights" that just come on when you need it.

Drove wife's mustang once to movie theater and on way out was like "****.....headlights suck on these cars." She's like "try turning them on first"

****. :(

My 02 Saturn has auto headlights, my 07 FJ Cruiser that has every option available, does not have auto headlights. :wtflol: