• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

oil filters

1tfrot

any recommendations? how about for those running higher dollar motors? not that mine is a high dollar motor, but I'd like to protect well. I use syn oil and was wondering if there are filters that are highly recommended and ones to stay away from.

a friend and I have talked about this, but would love to hear more opinions.

if it makes a difference, its a decently built lq4 6.0

8)

1tfrot said:
any recommendations? how about for those running higher dollar motors? not that mine is a high dollar motor, but I'd like to protect well. I use syn oil and was wondering if there are filters that are highly recommended and ones to stay away from.

a friend and I have talked about this, but would love to hear more opinions.

if it makes a difference, its a decently built lq4 6.0

8)

Anything not built by fram :****:

Get a Napa Gold filter if you are wanting a parts store filter.

Get the biggest filter you can fit in whatever space you have.

interesting. seems I'll have to check out Wix. have typically ac delco, but thats good info on the change. I've definitely heard many bad things about fram.

figured this would be a decent topic to discuss and could help others too thumb.gif

Hey Steve another vote for wix. I was in the pits at Nascar (hate Nascar but had a helicopter ride in) a couple years ago and every engine I saw had wix racing filters on it. Been running them ever since.

dynajeep said:
Hey Steve another vote for wix. I was in the pits at Nascar (hate Nascar but had a helicopter ride in) a couple years ago and every engine I saw had wix racing filters on it. Been running them ever since.

thanks AJ. but does that mean I can only go left? :flipoff1:

Wix racing filter for the win only filter that will ever go on my performance engines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also agree with the anything but Fram comments. I've had problems myself, and almost lost a motor out of the deal.

I have mixed feelings about the "higher filtration" filters like "xtra gaurd" and the like. Sure, they filter smaller particles, but the element size is the same. In my mind, that's gonna plug up faster. When the filter plugs, the bypass valve opens, and you now have NO filtration. In a real race motor where you're changing the oil every week, they might have a place, but I avoid them in regular/ neglected vehicles.

I run AC Delco filters on all my crap.
The parts stores list PF46 for the LQ4 in my tow rig, but the PF61 also fits and is taller.
PF1218 is the taller filter for old school SBC

Wix or Baldwin is only filters I will run. I work at a parts store and we stock mainly Baldwin filters. They don't have as huge as a name with racing but a **** ton of companies and all are firm believers in them.

SB406 said:
I also agree with the anything but Fram comments. I've had problems myself, and almost lost a motor out of the deal.

I have mixed feelings about the "higher filtration" filters like "xtra gaurd" and the like. Sure, they filter smaller particles, but the element size is the same. In my mind, that's gonna plug up faster. When the filter plugs, the bypass valve opens, and you now have NO filtration. In a real race motor where you're changing the oil every week, they might have a place, but I avoid them in regular/ neglected vehicles.

The parts stores list PF46 for the LQ4 in my tow rig, but the PF61 also fits and is taller.

is it the PF 61 or PF51 that is the taller one? memory says 51 but figured I would ask. probably looking forsome wix this weekend.

Wix makes a cheaper filter that has the partsmaster label on it. It is a good filter for a dd, mild trail machine. The napa select filter is also made by wix.

SB406 said:

Good luck finding those anymore. It's my understanding once the stock is out you will now only be seeing PF46E which is some environmentally friendly version and we all know what that means. Maybe I'm wrong but last time I was looking that was all that was on the shelf. So, I just run the Wix now.