• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ok Powerglide experts I need Help

jcorlew24

My buggy has a recently rebuilt Hughes powerglide. It has always leaked since I owned it. I have tried replacing the servo gasket and pan gasket, but it still leaks. The first trip out, on the first big obstacle, I had to reverse off the ledge. Backing off the ledge it sounded like it was in park (made the chattering noise that a car makes when moving in park). Long story short the park pawl actuator broke and was letting the tranny shift past reverse into park. I dropped the tranny pan and found the small clip that holds the actuator to the pawl, and part of the actuator in the bottom of the pan. I replaced the actuator, fluid , and filter.

The next ride out I had zero issues with the transmission except a little leak. I did ended up rolling a rock up and denting the power steering pump which caused it to leak. So when I got it home I replaced the housing on the pump, which required draining the fluid. I also had to remove the skid plates and seats to clean it. After sitting a couple of days I noticed a big spot of clear fluid under the tranny. I figured that the hydrolic fluid had ran down one of the tubes and caused the spot. I cleaned up the fluid and pulled my rig back in. It sat for another week and once again I had a big mess of fluid under the tranny. I noticed the tranny pan also had a clear looking fluid around it that smelled burnt. The fluid on the floor also smelt burnt. I pulled the tranny dipstick and it had a little fluid on it that was also clear. That fluid also had a slight burned smell to it. So I dropped the pan again. The fluid was clear to brown and had a slight burnt smell. The fluid did not look like this or smell like this when I fixed the park pawl actuator. What is going on?

I have huge tranny cooler on the rig and never noticed the temp getting hot. It shifts perfect and ran fine all weekend.

New fluid and filter. Crossing my fingers for no leaks. Seems to be good so far. I guess only time will tell. Now if I can just get the mother lovin seats back in then I can relax for a while.

That's right Jason, you said you can't go because it's your sons birthday, sorry. Bring him with you. Steve and I are going to Hale mt. Feb. 2nd(groundhog day)

Ole boy aint ready yet. You coming with us to the first Ecors race? It wont be the same without you. It will be fun plus we have a lot of riding planned. You need to bring Kimberly to cheer me on. Dont forget the apple pie. I drive better with a buzz.

Sure, well try. Dayton ain't far from here. Larry Pridget in clarkrange is real good with a power glide. he use to do mine on my bracket car. if we can ride in Dayton I'd like to come

halcat said:
Sure, well try. Dayton ain't far from here. Larry Pridget in clarkrange is real good with a power glide. he use to do mine on my bracket car. if we can ride in Dayton I'd like to come
jason, forgot were going to be in Cabo San Lucas Mexico. Were are going to there for 7 days, darn it .

halcat said:

Yeah Larry Pritchett knows the ins and out of any Powerglide. Runs them in his drag cars.

Took it out to day and hot lapped it a couple of times through the field. I swear this thing handles like a sports car. Was drifting around the field and was pulling past the traffic on the Highway beside me, so I am guessing I was doing 55. GPS said 80 in the straights. Still have a little bit of a damn leak, but the tranny worked flawless and the fluid looked new.

patooyee said:
Have you checked where the dipstick tube goes into the housing?

Yeah its leaking there and I think it is also maybe leaking at the pan, or the servo cover. I replaced the servo gasket, but I may also need to add a new O ring to the servo. I put some RTV around the fill tube but no luck. Leaks drive me crazy. I just installed new shafts and now have gear oil on the passenger side leaking.

My PG constantly leaked at the dipstick until I installed the Lokar posilock dipstick. You have to take the pan off to put it in but it won't leak again.