• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Old carbanater experts, halp!

Stock '85 460, idles and drives great til high RPMs, won't pull a hill for ****, sounds like it's running out of fuel. It runs like a scalded dog up til about 30-40 mph, but you just hit a point where it sounds like, the EXACT sound of running out of fuel. You can let off the pedal a little and it will run better (not great), but then you're losing speed and any momentum, and this continues until you crest the hill. Had a big Holley 4150 on it, rebuilt and reinstalled, did the same thing. Swapped it for an Edelbrock 1406 I had laying around that is damn near new, did the same thing. Several months ago I replaced the guts in the distributor, stock for stock.

I'm leaning towards needs ignition recurved or fuel starvation. I think the cheapish option would be a fuel pressure gauge and run around to see how it varies. I was told just slap a Holley Red pump on it, but it's $125 and no guarantee that will fix it. On top of that, it has dual tanks and in tank pumps.

Any ideas?

I'm definitely no expert, but it sounds like a fuel issue to me. A few years ago I traded around with a buddy and ended up with a '62 Oldsmobile and it was doing basically the same thing. It idled perfect, and would rev up in park great. But if you put it under any load it fell on it's face. I didn't feel like fooling with it so I sold it. Talked to the guy that bought it a few weeks later and the issue ended up being a loose fuel line right on top of the tank and it was sucking air there and starving the motor. Wish I never would have sold it, it would've been a pretty cool cruiser.

Got a 76 cj7 that I've been learning about carbs on. Wish I had a dollar for everytime someone told me to put fuel injection on it.

Me: Know anything about Carter single barrels? Trying to get this one tuned up real nice like!

Anybody I talk to : Just put fuel injection on it.

Just because I'm a millennial don't mean I can't figure this **** out! How the hell did y'all old timers daily drive these carbs if you hate them so much you tell everyone to put FI on them?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

hokie_yj said:
basically the same thing. It idled perfect, and would rev up in park great. But if you put it under any load it fell on it's face

The thing is, it runs like a scalded dog up til about 30-40 mph, but you just hit a point where it sounds like, the EXACT sound of running out of fuel. You can let off the pedal a little and it will run better (not great), but then you're losing speed and any momentum, and this continues until you crest the hill.

onepieceatatime said:
How the hell did y'all old timers daily drive these carbs if you hate them so much you tell everyone to put FI on them?

It's kinda like 12 and rubbing one out to the Sears catalog bra and panties page and 16 and plowing every field you could. You were like, "Why haven't I been doing this all along?!?!"

Could the fuel pump be weak, pumps to fill the bowls slowly then once you hit a hill it uses the gas faster than it's refilling? That or a bad fuel line? I had bad pickups on my ranger ran good all the way to 4krpm but would start busting up and popping after new injectors and pump I pulled the cell apart and the pick ups were shot along with the short pieces of hose I used.

Had a boat do the same exact thing but it was the liner in the hose that collapsed.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Timing?

Also, if it sat for any amount of time, I am putting my money on crap in the gas tank. Clean out tank, blow out fuel lines, new filter, and rock on. It happened with both carbs, so you can basically eliminate it being carb related at all

Bought a fuel pressure gauge for it, installed it between the distributor and carb. Only getting 2-3 psi to the carb, it needs 7-9. That's on both tanks, both fuel pumps, so it can't be that. What looked like a fuel return block is apparently a filter also. I'm going to eliminate it and add an in line canister style filter on the frame.