• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Old vs new style Ouverson Super 8 hubs

patooyee

I just saw some pics of Ouverson's old style super 8 hubs. I had only ever known the new style. The difference being that the old style used an external drive flange like the stock rockwell hub and the new uses an internally splined hub with an internal drive flange like a dana 60. The new one has to be exponentially more expensive to produce than the old. I'm wondering if anyone has any theories as to why he switched? I'll post pics of the old style in the next post.

My theories include:

- There was some sort of durability issue, possibly shearing the drive flange bolts.
- He went to internal splines to accommodate his locking hubs.

Re: Re: Old vs new style Ouverson Super 8 hubs

qygajyma.jpg

u6epu5yb.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

spoke with randy on this awhile back and the older design was due to not having the tooling to cut the internal splines for the slug (how the 60 hub is machined) also the older design did not permit use of the 2 inch outers at that time.but that version was his first design from a loooong time ago.plus new style is more compact and looks a lot better as well/alos aloows use of locking hubs too as before you couldn't.

daddyxyj said:
spoke with randy on this awhile back and the older design was due to not having the tooling to cut the internal splines for the slug (how the 60 hub is machined) also the older design did not permit use of the 2 inch outers at that time.but that version was his first design from a loooong time ago.plus new style is more compact and looks a lot better as well/alos aloows use of locking hubs too as before you couldn't.

Thanks. The old design looks like it could easily accommodate 2" shafts though??? For the 99.99999% of us that don't give a dang about locking hubs the new version has got to be a huge price hike for just that possibility someday.

yeah price is high but so is the quality.im building a mega cab and am needing the 8 lug hubs and wheel brakes and the prices are steep.$500 plus for each hub/$675 for each caliper and rotor/$1200 for each set of 4:90 gear ratios.total of almost 10k to do a front and rear rock.but its high caliber stuff for a high caliber build.randy is a great guy to deal with and he knows his **** is top notch.

Re:

I have and currently do own tons of ouverson stuff. He is a great guy. In fact I used to have super 8 hubs, the new style. Just when I saw the old I wondered why the switch since the old would have done what I wanted for a lot less money.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

All i know is the peice was rite and will work for my build. When we get done with them;)!!!

I cant remember the exact price but I priced a slug of 7075 to make some hubs for my rocks last year, and after getting the price I remember thinking that the 500 a piece wasn't to terrible of a price.All his stuff is top notch, I wish I could afford to buy a set of his knuckles

Rockwells607 said:
I've heard of but never seen 14 by hubs on a rockwell, possible or just a unicorn ?

Yes it can be done, you have to turn the spindle down, and rethread it.
Also, there is not enough metal left to allow for 2in shafts.

I thought remember reading about using Sterling hubs too? IIRC 10.5 or maby 10.25 shared the same inner bearing as the Rockwell hub? Been a while sense Ive looked into it though

alehandro3 said:
I thought remember reading about using Sterling hubs too? IIRC 10.5 or maby 10.25 shared the same inner bearing as the Rockwell hub? Been a while sense Ive looked into it though
G

Yes the steerling hub is the same size inner bearing. The seal and outer bearing are different. The spindle still requires work.

Not trying to derail the ouverson thread but food for thought : I just weighed a
Rock hub with the studs in it 40lbs , and I weighed a sterling 10.25 hub 24lb with studs in it, 16 pounds at each wheel is a lot and could be a much cheaper option if someone had access to a lathe to solve Bearing issues and spindle nuts, also I think your gonna hafta shorten the stub cuz the hubs are different lengths by a few inches

Rockwells607 said:
Not trying to derail the ouverson thread but food for thought : I just weighed a
Rock hub with the studs in it 40lbs , and I weighed a sterling 10.25 hub 24lb with studs in it, 16 pounds at each wheel is a lot and could be a much cheaper option if someone had access to a lathe to solve Bearing issues and spindle nuts, also I think your gonna hafta shorten the stub cuz the hubs are different lengths by a few inches

Hmmm, I wonder if, when making the external drive flanges to bolt onto the sterling hub you could just make them that "few inches" thick of a mounting flange to bridge the gap of a longer spindle than hub?

maby too :afro: and stick out way too far, but im curious now..

Just guessing, but the spindle length issue probably has more to do with bearing spacing than it does axle shaft length. In other words, if the 8-lug hub isn't long enough to space the outer bearing where it would normally go on the rockwell spindle then the spindle has to be machined to accommodate the hub since there's little to nothing you can do to safely make the hub wider to accommodate the spindle.

Rockwells607 said:
you can machine a considerable amount off of the rockwell bearing hubs. I removed 11 lbs PER HUB from my rock hubs.

I'll get pics of it when it comes in the shop for the roll cage I am supposed to build, but one of my customers made a new plate that bolted to the rockwell knuckle, and used a ford superduty unit bearing for an 8 lug conversion. With Rocksolid now making a unit bearing that will take a 2" shaft, this may be a serious option to consider.

On my new build with hybrid axles, I am looking at using rockwell knuckles and possibly spidertrax ultimate wheel hubs since they are super light. I might even forgo the rockwell knuckles and run superduty inner c's and knuckles since the spidertrax stuff will bolt directly to it