• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

On Board Air Help

preacherman

I am using a compressor that I have had for a while. It is currently a portable unit. I intend to rewire it, but I need to figure out hows to to turn it on and off. Either I need a pressure switch, or should I just gauge and and rocker switch the setup. Does anyone here have any idea exactly what I need?
I plan on using this for tires, lockers and the occasional air tools. For the lockers I am figuring on using pneumatic switches for the locker.

the ARB switch is nice and IFRC $20.

just mount your switch with the wires on top as the moisture in it can short out the switch and your compresser will keep running, i learned this from experiance. there will be moisture in the compressed air so you will either need to remove it with a dryer or deal with it.

ive tried all kinds of different dryers and now just deal with it.

I use a manual pto switch to turn on the arb, my cage is my storage and I have a drain for moisture.

the ARB switch is nice and IFRC $20.

just mount your switch with the wires on top as the moisture in it can short out the switch and your compresser will keep running, i learned this from experiance. there will be moisture in the compressed air so you will either need to remove it with a dryer or deal with it.

ive tried all kinds of different dryers and now just deal with it.

Don't forget to incorproate a popoff valve for safety as well.

Don't forget to incorproate a popoff valve for safety as well.

yeah i eventually gave up on that as well for the same reason. moisture and crap kept it a leak source, my pop off valve is now the rubber hose and hose clamp under the hood. built in weak link in a place where the escaping air wont blow crap into someones eyes. it only works once then needs to be replaced but its cheap.:redneck:

the current one has lasted ten years since i mounted the switch correctly:awesomework:

So I have ordered everything I think I will need? Safety valve, pressure switch, going to wire a Master switch in as well, manifold block (was going to machine one, but it would cost mere than the harbor freight one) A bunch of fittings, etc.
Hope to have it all figured out soon. I will post pics

Just an FYI for future readers. Napa carry's a pressure switch that is 95-125 in stock for about $15.
That is what I did to raise the pressure in my ARB compressor to try and make the RD99 to live.

While you're at NAPA, pick up one of these:
AirPlug.JPG

A screw in schrader valve might be beneficial if you loose a compressor. They're only a couple bucks, don't take much room in a tool bag, and often have the same threads as the pressure switch.

If the compressor takes a ****, just unscrew the pressure valve, and screw in the schrader valve. Find someone with a York, and have them "air up" your compressor (which has a very small air tank built in). That should give you a few cycles of your ARB. Might be the difference between coming out of the trail under your own power, or, coming out on a winch.

[available in different NPT threads, 1/8, 1/4, etc]

Last edited:
While you're at NAPA, pick up one of these:
AirPlug.JPG

A screw in schrader valve might be beneficial if you loose a compressor. They're only a couple bucks, don't take much room in a tool bag, and often have the same threads as the pressure switch.

If the compressor takes a ****, just unscrew the pressure valve, and screw in the schrader valve. Find someone with a York, and have them "air up" your compressor (which has a very small air tank built in). That should give you a few cycles of your ARB. Might be the difference between coming out of the trail under your own power, or, coming out on a winch.

[available in different NPT threads, 1/8, 1/4, etc]

Good call! I have a schrader valve in the air-ride system I'm setting up for my street rig for that exact reason! :awesomework:

So I have ordered everything I think I will need? Safety valve, pressure switch, going to wire a Master switch in as well, manifold block (was going to machine one, but it would cost mere than the harbor freight one) A bunch of fittings, etc.
Hope to have it all figured out soon. I will post pics

You might need a one way valve also. To keep air from your tank from leaking back out through your compressor.