• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Opinions on unions....but unicorns are (fill in the blank)

Demo Steve

First off, please delete this immediatly if anyone feels this is a **** starter. A group of individuals are trying to get it started at my work place and i am just curious. I never would have thought in a million years my place of business would be looking at becoming unionized. I feel we are more than adequatly paid, great benefits, great insurance, more leave than i can use. Apparently not everyone at my employment thinks the same. I tried to ask the union representative 3 questions. How much are dues? I was told it depends. He wouldn't give me an amount. I asked about benefits. He handed me a list that had everything on it that i currently am already recieving from my employer. When i asked him for any other benefits because i already had these he told me he was not going to answer anymore of my anti union bullshit questions...,Again, i am not trying to start anything. Just trying to gather as much information to educate myself. Please delete if this upsets or offends anyone. Thank you.

Re: Opinions on unions

Unions were great for the time and reason they were started to ensure proper working conditions and pay were given to employees. This is no longer that time and unions do nothing but drive up inflation and pit employees against each other and their employer. Unions should be done away with.

Re: Re: Opinions on unions

pholmann said:
Unions were great for the time and reason they were started to ensure proper working conditions and pay were given to employees. This is no longer that time and unions do nothing but drive up inflation and pit employees against each other and their employer. Unions should be done away with.
Couldn't have said it any better. Spot on. That's all I can really say, as I'm currently employed by a "unionized" company. I can assure you that it has worked against me more than it EVER helped me progress. My opinion is exactly as mentioned above as far as it being very outdated. Nowadays, state laws protect employees against things that unions used to. A lot of unions even have a "no strike" agreement with the company. So if there is a major disagreement, nothing can really be done. Once again, I've already said too much, but I'm highly against it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

pholmann said:

X2

Unions are not what they used to be and for that reason I dont like them. They are not for finding a middle ground but for the employer to get the bad end of the deal. Not all unions but 99% are this way.

The union topic has been covered here before I think.

But every time I skim over the thread title I see "opinions on unicorns," and think "Damn, we really ran out of stuff to talk about!" :)

Piss on a union!!!!!!! The only basterds wanting a union at most places these days are the ones that are not working and pulling there weight for the company anyways. Hence the reason they want something like a union to help them keep doing that.. Did I say piss on a union already.

My company I work for is a closed shop Union meaning u have to join , I think it mostly protects the lazy man , the man that don't work & complains about everything gets the same recognition as the guy that shows up to work , just my opinion

I had to reread my post, lol. I do apologize for bringing it up again. I agree with what everybody has said. There was a time and a place for them and would agree some employees still benefit from them today, but for the most part they seem to be for lazy people who are looking for a free handout. Boy the union executives are filthy rich thought! 1-888-no-union.com has a lot of good info on it. Over 1 billion in dues paid annually and only 16 million spent representing its members. The rest goes to politicians and union executives. Makes me sick.

Majestic

I especially like when they fart rainbows.

Did anyone know that Marco Polo discovered the first unicorn?

I a solute ly hate unions. I work in management for a certain federally regulated delivery service. The unions (every craft is a seperate union) are 75% ot the downfall of this company. It's absolutely ridiculous the stuff the union gets away with.

I think the time for unions have past with one exception. I feel the coal miners still need the union for safety. So much can go wrong in that job.

I deal with them on a regular basis. Its one of the reasons that I call the tradeshow industry "legal theft". There are carpenter, decorator, stagehand, electrical unions etc in all of these major convention centers and we HAVE to use them the way the show contracts are structured. Philly used to be the worst followed by Chicago but both have gotten better because shows were moving away from these convention centers.

I have found there are a couple of types of union people. The ones that take pride in their work but happen to be a 2nd or 3rd generation union member so they belong to the union. They'll bust their ass and do a good job and listen. But they'll only make up about 1/3-1/2 of my crew usually. Then there are the young guns who are a member of a union just so their work day is structured to where they get a fat paycheck for doing about 4 hours worth of work per day.

My former boss put it best: Get to the shop in Queens at 8am because that's when the union work day starts, drive into NYC and park the truck and unload your gear. Some days this is 830, other days this is 10am depending on traffic. If its 10, well **** on that, time for your first break. (Been sitting in a truck the whole time to this point) Go ahead and work until 1145 then take your lunch break. Work til about 2 and take another union break. Go back to work until about 4:30, load the truck and drive back to the shop. Now the CLIENT is paying for a full 8 hour work day but total production is around half of that most days. Legal Theft.