• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ouverson Dana 60 ujoints?

I was really hoping someone would say the TG joints were holding up to V8/Sticky tire abuse. I guess I'll keep holding out for ouverson to get their **** together before I buy 16 more grease fittings.

I was thinking about Longfields for mine. I ran their old style in my d44 for years. I started looking into the current style joints and found several reports of the joint breaking in half right where the grease pretty was drilled through the body.

I'm too cheap for ctms,so I'll probably settle on yukons.

Re: Re: Ouverson Dana 60 ujoints?

GONOVRIT said:
ECGS Is having a sale on Yukons right now for anyone interested.
I don't see anything on their site...

Re: Re: Ouverson Dana 60 ujoints?

patooyee said:
I don't see anything on their site...

They posted a discount code in the vendor section. I checked it last night out of boredom and they were discounted $130 from their advertised price for a pair of joints.

I just ordered a rebuild kit for my Dana 60 super joints from ECGS. I will post pics and let you know how they look before and after. Curious to see if rebuilding gets rid of the slop in the joints. Mine are 3 years old and have been greased every couple of weeks rides.

I really like the Yukon price and the warranty when combined with their shafts, but for a rear-steer rig having to grease 16 grease points every trip out sounds about like the worst thing on the planet.

Longs & Ouverson both have only one zerk per joint.

Yukon, Nitro, & CTM all have 4 ...

Nitros seem like the best deal out of the lower 3 if the rebuild kits are reasonable ...

Materials seem to be the same one the top two, but production & quality control are probably miles apart now that trailmart makes longs...

85toyo said:
I have a 14v Lincoln and would be worried about putting to much grease in the joint. Even on the low setting it puts out a ton of grease in a hurry.

You are worrying too much then :drinkers:.

muddinmetal said:
Longs & Ouverson both have only one zerk per joint.

Yukon, Nitro, & CTM all have 4 ...

Nitros seem like the best deal out of the lower 3 if the rebuild kits are reasonable ...

Materials seem to be the same one the top two, but production & quality control are probably miles apart now that trailmart makes longs...

Nitros are Bobby's Long's original design and are not rebuildable or something like that. They don't have a very good reputation for longevity as far as I have seen because they do not have bronze inside the caps and they gall extremely easily are are then just trash.

The current Long Joints seem like the best deal to me but then the Yukon shaft warranty goes away or something like that? Is is just reduced to 10 years? Because 10 years is fine by me!

Something to think about comparing 1 fitting to 4 fittings per joint. The grease will always find the easiest way out.
On a joint with one fitting if the grease could exit out of the loosest cap possibly not lubing the other three properly.
On a joint with 4 fitting you know for sure each cap is getting proper lubrication.

RustyC said:
Something to think about comparing 1 fitting to 4 fittings per joint. The grease will always find the easiest way out.
On a joint with one fitting if the grease could exit out of the loosest cap possibly not lubing the other three properly.
On a joint with 4 fitting you know for sure each cap is getting proper lubrication.

That's my thinking on it also.

There are 11 grease points on the front of my 2500 Chevy, and a few are a bitch to get to.

I'd think that lubing 16 easily accessible grease points on axle shafts wouldn't be too bad. Especially since I only ride a half dozen times a year.

patooyee said:
Nitros are Bobby's Long's original design and are not rebuildable or something like that. They don't have a very good reputation for longevity as far as I have seen because they do not have bronze inside the caps and they gall extremely easily are are then just trash.

The current Long Joints seem like the best deal to me but then the Yukon shaft warranty goes away or something like that? Is is just reduced to 10 years? Because 10 years is fine by me!

My thoughts as well....Long fields are 300M and the Yukon's are chromoly :dunno:

I have a set of nitros that were given to me....more or less... they were completely worn out so i took them to the shop and did some hardness testing on them... the caps and the cross are both dead soft meaning they're gonna stick together like chewing gum.. the crosses are 300M from what i can find.. at least on the yukon joints the caps are softer than the cross and the cross has a wear resistant coating to at least make an attempt at placing the wear on the cheaper component.

I have Yukon shafts and solid Spicer joints. Didn't realize I needed Yukon joints for the warranty on the shafts?