• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Overheated wiring

nick c

Lewis & Clark bitches!
I came home to find the GFCI in my garage popped. And it wouldn't reset. Started unplugging stuff and trying to figure out what was tripping it. Turns out it was the motor home.

Looks like I fried my main power distribution panel.

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 90
I will admit I was bad and was using the 30A to 15A adapter to run my A/C while on a generator. The plug got hot a couple times but the rest of the cord never got warm so I didn't worry about it too much. And it never tripped the breaker inside the motor home.

Then Monday I had it plugged in to keep the fridge cold since we got home from our July 4th trip so late we didn't unload, I got home Monday evening and found the fridge was on propane because the breaker labelled "Main" had tripped. The bathroom fan was running, and the fridge were the only items on. Again I didn't think much of it so I flipped the breaker and didn't worry about it.

Then last night is when it tripped the GFCI. So I started digging. Found the over heated wires. Thats where I've left it for now.

I will admit I was bad and was using the 30A to 15A adapter to run my A/C while on a generator. The plug got hot a couple times but the rest of the cord never got warm so I didn't worry about it too much. And it never tripped the breaker inside the motor home.

Then Monday I had it plugged in to keep the fridge cold since we got home from our July 4th trip so late we didn't unload, I got home Monday evening and found the fridge was on propane because the breaker labelled "Main" had tripped. The bathroom fan was running, and the fridge were the only items on. Again I didn't think much of it so I flipped the breaker and didn't worry about it.

Then last night is when it tripped the GFCI. So I started digging. Found the over heated wires. Thats where I've left it for now.

Loose connection caused that. A loose connection caused increased resistance which causes heat. Heat causes increased resistance which causes more heat. As the materials heat and cool they expand and contract which causes a looser connection. It will consume it's self. You should tighten all connections as tight as possible which will help prevent this problem. Use a properly sized screwdriver. This is a common problem. Especially in factory assembled structures. Not to say this type of problem does not happen in homes but I used to see it more commonly in mobile homes, campers, and trailers. would'nt hurt to tighten all connections in your home Not a bad idea to do all connections , breaker, neutral, grounds and if you are careful and bold enough do the main lugs.