• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

P/S

bigred_086

Having some issue with My p/s,I can steer ok in 2 wheel unlocked,when its locked in 4 wheel,man its a bitch to steer.Heres what I've done changed the power steering pump,changed the steering box,and it still the same.If I un lock one side its better,any ideas,any body in the south end that could help:cheer::booo:

is your front axle locked, spooled or welded??

i do know that can cause steering issues when engaged in 4-wheel...

what type of surface are you testing this out on also?? pavement, dirt, gravel?

Sounds like it's time to step up to hydro-assit or full-hydro. I have a spool in the front and on pavement/hard-packed dirt/rocks its a bitch to turn...

maybe you just have you caster off...

Check Toe caster and camber and let us know what you find...

whats the b/s on your wheels?
got to love a huge scrub radious....

looking at your build thread, it looks like you have some shalow b/s wheels, and im guessing spacers. in the folowing shot, your entire wheel is outboard of the trunions.
attachment.php

in stock form the centerline of the tire lines up with the trunions, this alows the tire to pivit.
with the tires that far outboard they must roll forward on one side, back on the other. with an open diff you dont notice it so much because as long as the brakes arnt locked up, the spider gears will just rotate and alow for the movement. with a locker, as long as its not bound up it can usualy allow for it ( detroit has 20 degrees of backlash in it) if it is bound up or if running a spool/welded then you are esentialy trying to twist the shafts when turning. unlock one hub and its a little better cause your only twisting 1 shaft instead of both.

case solved. ram asist will cover it up, but not cure the cause of it.

hydro or not, spools or welded diffs have no place in a front axle.
i agree they arent ideal. but to say they have no place is sorta rediculous. people use them, alot of people. apparently they do have a place...they bolt right in...just right.:fawkdancesmiley:

if they use them, and arent aware of the consequences, and arent willing to deal with it, than they need to do something about it.

which, it sounds like hes trying to do.

I have a Lockrite in it.I was on grass and gravel,when tested it.I'm running on 35"s.If there's anyone here in the Auburn area that could show memore one the front end that would be great.:booo:

How bout you answer these questions:

Is it impossible to steer on the grass?
Does the loc right ever click?
Was the loc right just installed?
Is it easier to steer(when locked) if your moving?

How bout you answer these questions:

Is it impossible to steer on the grass?yes
Does the loc right ever click?no
Was the loc right just installed?no
Is it easier to steer(when locked) if your moving. no
Found out its a bad P/S pump.THANKS for all the brain storming thou.:awesomework:

Latest posts