• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Phase converter???

Big Rick

Has anyone used the Phase-A-Matic static phase converters on machine tools? how do they work comparative to a rotary phase converter? I have a milling machine that needs 3 phase and only have single in my home garage so I need to get a converter and just looking at all the options. I have worked in a couple a shops that had rotary converters. They work great, but you have to here the dang thing running the hole time you are working. anyway if ya know about these cheapo magic boxes and or used one what do you think?

A guy I work with was trying to convince me that a PLC was the way to go, But I have a few OLD, manual machines that require 3 phase. It seems to me that re programming the power converter each time I want to use a different machine is more of a headache then I would enjoy, after all that is the reason we work in our garages on our own things, right, to enjoy ourselves. I think I would rather plug in a tool and work, not spend time programing power inverters and converters to each different tool that I need to use. But I may be wrong.

A guy I work with was trying to convince me that a PLC was the way to go, But I have a few OLD, manual machines that require 3 phase. It seems to me that re programming the power converter each time I want to use a different machine is more of a headache then I would enjoy, after all that is the reason we work in our garages on our own things, right, to enjoy ourselves. I think I would rather plug in a tool and work, not spend time programing power inverters and converters to each different tool that I need to use. But I may be wrong.

It does become a bit of a pain, but its kind of a trade off between time and damaged that is caused by the static converters on the motors.

I've been running a 3 phase mill in my shop for years it has a small box not sure what it's called but it tricks the single phase to work , I've had no issues with it

Where I used to work, a guy took a single phase motor, and had it driving a 3 phase motor via belt drive... it converted single phase to 3 phase.......

If it is less than 3hp, get a VFD that is single phase in 3 phase out.

If you have more than 3 hp, use a rotary phase converter.

If you use a static phase converter you lose about 25% HP. Static phase converter just starts the motor, then it drops out and the motor runs on single phase.