• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Pinion brakes or????

Nuts

I'm trying to get all the quirks out of my buggy before the shake down run. There is a god awful noise that sounds like it's coming from the transfer case every time I hit the brakes. I've had it apart 3 times this week and there's nothing wrong inside. Everything is sold mounted, so is it just amplifying the pinion brake chatter or is there something else I need to look for?

Any excessive play in the driveshafts? I rebuilt my whole tc just to find the noise was a bad cv transferring sound.

Beerj said:
Any excessive play in the driveshafts? I rebuilt my whole tc just to find the noise was a bad cv transferring sound.
nope, all new or freshly rebuilt u joints. The front pinion has what seems like too much play. I'm going out now to pull some shims and see if tightening that up will help.

I know of 3 things that will cause this. 1st ,Do you have locker in front and rear? If so that is just life some times, you will either get used to it or learn to ignore it
2nd Pinion slop, try moving the shims around to take it out.
3rd If you are running the toyota calipers that are solid mounted. They tend to do this. I found that if i put springs(light ones) on the pin that holds the pads in , to spread the pads when not applying brakes , It solved it for me .

I have ford rotors and calipers,because they came with the axles, we did the rotors on a mill so the hole are good, both are weldered up solid, and I just messed with the shims and it helped but didn't eliminate it. Getting used to something that sounds like something is about to explode is going to be hard :****:

extremetownie said:
I know of 3 things that will cause this. 1st ,Do you have locker in front and rear? If so that is just life some times, you will either get used to it or learn to ignore it
2nd Pinion slop, try moving the shims around to take it out.
3rd If you are running the toyota calipers that are solid mounted. They tend to do this. I found that if i put springs(light ones) on the pin that holds the pads in , to spread the pads when not applying brakes , It solved it for me .

^^^^^^Best advice.

:dunno: about your set up, but I had chatter real bad on the front with leaf springs. Spring eye bolts were wore bad causing the axle to chatter back and forth. New bushings and bolts all but stoped it. If you have link bars maybe you can look there.

halcat said:
:dunno: about your set up, but I had chatter real bad on the front with leaf springs. Spring eye bolts were wore bad causing the axle to chatter back and forth. New bushings and bolts all but stoped it. If you have link bars maybe you can look there.
Everything is new or rebuilt, so I doubt the links are it this time. Going to keep messing with the shims to try to tighten things up as much as possible.