• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Piston Ring Compressors - Which Style?

84Toyota4x4

I need to buy myself a ring compressor for my up coming rebuild. In the past, Ive just borrowed a standard solid flat band type compressor, but I think its time I get my own (if you borrow it more than twice...)

Anyway, Ive seen the wrinkle band type in the stores, and I'm wondering if those work better, worse or what. I was thinking with less contact to the piston, it might allow the piston to slide easier, and you wouldn't accidentally get the whole compressor to slide into the cylinder, but Im worried that the wrinkles will possibly just flatten out when tightened rather than compress the rings enough? So, which style does everyone use and like? Also, have you tried other styles to compare?

~T.J.

If you manage to get the compressor to slide in there you've got bigger problems. I use hose clamps. :redneck:

I need to buy myself a ring compressor for my up coming rebuild. In the past, Ive just borrowed a standard solid flat band type compressor, but I think its time I get my own (if you borrow it more than twice...)

Anyway, Ive seen the wrinkle band type in the stores, and I'm wondering if those work better, worse or what. I was thinking with less contact to the piston, it might allow the piston to slide easier, and you wouldn't accidentally get the whole compressor to slide into the cylinder, but Im worried that the wrinkles will possibly just flatten out when tightened rather than compress the rings enough? So, which style does everyone use and like? Also, have you tried other styles to compare?

~T.J.

why don't you just stop by Uncle Aaron's house and borrow his for a little while, he shouldn't be needing it for a while (hopefully...) he says he really likes it and it has worked very well for many motor rebuilds... and locks in place very nicely with a handy tool:; this way you save some green and get an idea for what you'd want as a tool in the future...
:awesomework: :awesomework: :awesomework:

Last edited:
I've used the flat-band style for 20 yrs, and as long as you're careful when tapping the slug in, no issue. Got mine @ NAPA 20 yrs ago, and it uses a 1/4" drive ratchet to compress the rings--- haven't damaged a set of rings, or piston yet :)redneck: version of "knock on wood!" :masturbanana[1]: !!!!!!!!)

I've used the flat-band style for 20 yrs, and as long as you're careful when tapping the slug in, no issue. Got mine @ NAPA 20 yrs ago, and it uses a 1/4" drive ratchet to compress the rings--- haven't damaged a set of rings, or piston yet :)redneck: version of "knock on wood!" :masturbanana[1]: !!!!!!!!)

thats waht im using to build my small block. i have been using it a bunch. my only problem is the little bands slip on the compressing part and then the thing get crooked! :mad:

flat band style is all I have ever used. Its cheap and it works. I have seen some pretty nice ones on the snap-on truck but then your going to pay a lot more for the same result.

I forgot about this thread. I ended up talking to a couple machine shops while I was there, and it seems the wrinkle band types are the most popular, so I picked up one of those for about $10 I think it was. Its kinda cool, it uses a cam lock clamp latch thing so you set it once then you can open it and then close it on your next piston without having to retighten it over and over again (which is what took most of the time the last time I used the other style). Also no straps to go crooked, less resistance for pushing the piston in, etc. Seems like it should work well, and with the number of people recommending it, hopefully so.

Heres a link:
http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=241

~T.J.