• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Please help, leaf spring bushing problem....

Clark

So i bought a 4runner that is better than my wheeler, sold my wheeler and i'm using the runner. There are some mods that were already done, BUT i've run into a little snaffu of sorts. There is a death wobble at about 30mph +/-.

I have traced the wobble to the front leaf spring hanger bolt where the leaf spring bolts on. The drivers spring had the 18mm bolt, and was snug, the passenger bolt was like a 12mm and made things super loose since the bolt was way too small.

Now i'm not sure what front springs these are, i think it's a Rears up front, since the wheel is a few inches forwards of stock. I bought some greasable bolts and put the drivers in smooth, now the passenger (previously had the small bolt) the bolt fits nice through the hanger, but the diameter of the spring bushing is only 14mm making the bolt 4mm too big. Now what the ****? The springs are the same on both sides, now i've got the right bolt and the bushing is too small. Now i read that rear springs have 18mm bushings, so are these not rears? are they waggy? the springs also appear to be about 1/4" narrow for the hanger, and there area 2 washers on the INSIDE of the hanger to take up the slack.

When i bought the truck, they guy said someone on here built it originally. Maybe someone knows something or can give me some advice, the best solution i can come up with is a new set of leafs, or maybe just the bushings. I wouldn't mind some Marlin springs, but i want to keep the wheel set forwards.

here are some pictures to help explain what i'm talking about here.

here's the side that fits:
DSCN0335.jpg

DSCN0341.jpg

here's the side that doesn't fit:
DSCN0337.jpg

DSCN0342.jpg

DSCN0339.jpg

here's the old small bolt, vs the new 18mm correct size:
DSCN0353.jpg

On the spring that fits, does it have a steel sleeve in the bushing?That's the only thing I can come up with; Those don't look like Yota rears to me, but it's kinda hard to tell from the pics; if you have a stock rear layin around, measure it from centering pin to each end---this should solve at least that mystery......

I don't have any rears around, my other 4runner is coils in the back. I checked the other spring, it is missing the sleeve, BUT i can't get the sleeve out of this one:mad:

I think i'll end up looking for another set of springs:masturbanana[1]:

I think i'll end up looking for another set of springs:masturbanana[1]:

:awesomework: I think that's your best bet....at least you know what they'll be! Or you could measure the OD of the bushing, go down to your local NAPA, and start rifling thru their bushings---you'll probly find one that will work for ya!!

Last edited:
Obviously tricky to track down.

I can tell you that a loose track bar bolt on a TJ jeep which causes only 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch slop in the mount can cause a HUGE near death wobble condition. It dosen't take much slop to cause it.

Look for side to side slop in the suspension: i would take the side play out of your front spring shackles and fixed spring mounts with washer shims then see what happens. Maybe look at shackles ???

Last edited:
there was enough slop where the spring bolted on the hanger i could use my prybar and move the spring around a good 1/4"- 1/2" and there was also a good amount of side to side movement. This has got to be the culprit for the wobble, if not i still wouldn't drive like that. If i get it fixed and it still wobbles i'll check my toe, and shackles. (although i doubt they are the problem at this point). I'm on the lookout now for a new set of springs, either another set of rears, with the 18mm bushings(Pirate FAQ says that certain rears had the 14mm ID front bushings) or some marlin 4".:awesomework: Looks like i've got it figured, thanks for the resolution:awesomework:

hahhaha i knew i'd get crap about the wrench, i didn't do it. BUT i did some measuring, it turns out they are 2nd gen rears, BUT they have the stock 14mm ID bushing. I'm going to get new bushings, and rebuild the pack. Problem solved, i appreciate the help:awesomework:

Hard to tell in the pictures but it looks like the holes in the hangers are egged out. New bushings and bolts won't fix that. Also if you get new bushings will they be for the 14mm or 18mm bolts? If they will be 14mm then you're screwed on the hole size of the hangers anyway.