• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Polycarbonate Windshield, good idea?

Poly is typically more expensive then glass. I put one in my sami a few years back and it payed for itself quickly. If you are breaking glass every couple of runs they are worth it. They will scratch and haze over time but I was having difficulties making glass last over a few months. I have had the poly windshield for almost 5 years now and it just getting to the point where the scratching is annoying. Truthfully though most of my scratching is from poor storage handling when the windshield was off the rig not from trees and such when it was on the rig.

Ok, great. Thanks for the quick response.
This is the GF's rig and it doenst see more than a dirt road ever once in a while and is only driven when its nice out (warm enough for her). So im not to worried about trail rash.

Was more just worried if this was a waste of money and would haze over quickly. Sounds like your has lasted quite some time and thats with trail use! It should be good on the road.

How easy/hard are these to install? Are they like a toyota pickup rear window that just take a seal? I know its a seal from teh outside but does it require any glue or cealent?

Thanks.

Ok, great. Thanks for the quick response.
This is the GF's rig and it doenst see more than a dirt road ever once in a while and is only driven when its nice out (warm enough for her). So im not to worried about trail rash.

Was more just worried if this was a waste of money and would haze over quickly. Sounds like your has lasted quite some time and thats with trail use! It should be good on the road.

How easy/hard are these to install? Are they like a toyota pickup rear window that just take a seal? I know its a seal from teh outside but does it require any glue or cealent?

Thanks.

Install is just like a toyota rear window. If you are going to run this on the street ask the guy if this window has the anti scratch coating. Make him prove it. If it does not wipers will scratch it in no time. Even if it does have anti scratch you have to stay on top of your wiper blades and make sure your girlfriend understands to never use the wipers to clear **** off the window. Wipers need to only be used when the window is wet and clean.

Of the few scratches in mine most are from the wipers smearing mud and such on the window.

Danm, not really what i wanted to hear but im glad i asked before I went and bought one.
And thanks for clarifying how they get installed. Good to know i can do it myself now.

Thanks for the replies! :beer:

Keep in mind that all polycarbonate is not the same.
Hard to compare without the specs / data.

Wipers will scratch it in no time. Wipers need to only be used when the window is wet and clean.

I ran a polycarbonate window in my 48 Chevy street rod pickup....it was a bad choice. The thing that finaly killed it was the Sun. Maybe you guys don't get that much Sun over there but I would still recogmend a glass windshield.

I ran a polycarbonate window in my 48 Chevy street rod pickup....it was a bad choice. The thing that finaly killed it was the Sun. Maybe you guys don't get that much Sun over there but I would still recogmend a glass windshield.

Mine is stored indoors and most of the trails I run are well shaded. So ya I don't get much sun on mine.:redneck:

I have had a poly windshield in my YJ for 4 years now. It's just now getting to the point where it needs to be replaced. I have a connection at a place in Kent that got me a good deal, IIRC it was about $60 for the piece. It has some sort of armor coating. I have used and abused the hell out of it through mud, snow, using the wipers, etc. It's a little hazy now, mostly where the wipers run, but I'm damn impressed with how it's lasted. In the beginning, I figured I'd be lucky to get a year out of it before it was too scratched to use.

Fortric had one and it got scratched to hell quick. Pretty sure he said he wouldn't ever use one again. Besides you can pick up glass windshields for less than a $100, some as low as $75

I got mine through roadless gear for my Zuk 10 years ago and it is still in very good shape. I pais $150 for it and so far it's lasted longer than a lot of thigs on my rig.

I have a glass windshield in YJ and my TJ. They are both more than ten years old. Both have no scratches or cracks.

I remove them for Rimrock. Otherwise, I pretty much run them everywhere.

The YJ has been flopped a couple times. Both have dents in the frames from bouncing off trees.

Latest posts