• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

possible shop rentals

stano

So, I have been thinking and I thought I'd put this out there and see what the general thoughts are. I own 1.5 acres next to my house, I would like to put it to use somehow. I'm considering building a large metal building, providing minimal build out and utilities then putting it up for rent. I know cost would be the main issue, but do you guys think there would be an interest in this? I'm thinking, small fab shops, general contractors, wood shop guys, maybe even guys with small race teams that need a place to work. I'm thinking it would be set up so it could be divided into smaller spaces if needed. what says the masses?

I don't know about your area but here mini storage and climate controlled especially are booming people can get enough of them if I was looking at a building to rent I would check into that area !

I'm sure you've already looked into it, but be careful of zoning. My township wont allow anyone to run a "business" out of a non commercial zoned parcel. With that said I did this a few years ago, and it's working out OK... The guy that is renting is a mechanic and does sidework in the shop, I warned him about the zoning and to keep it to a couple vehicles outside at a time. I have the building insured but he also has it as an additional insured so liability isn't an issue.

I have a 17'x50' storage building with a 10'x14' automatic door with lights, 110v and 220v power included for $275 a month. It's the best deal I've found. That can give you a basis for rates on the cheaper end.

I tried to find something like that for a while in Chattanooga.

Ended up finding a 11x20 with 110v power for $180/mo.

It's not a good or a bad deal, it's just the only thing I was able to find.

I "stay" in a shop complex where most are 3000 sq/ft that rent out at $1200/mo. They built a new row that split some of those units at 60'x25' at $699/mo. I snatched the end unit to park the trailer outside...
Once I find a place to buy land. I'll build my own shop to live in, But right now, 15 minutes south of Birmingahm... most expensive land to buy in this great state....

12801393_10153977928767421_34926578036518911_n.jpg

Re:

Most expensive.....buy some land in the city of Cullman as of late.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

If it was in Knoxville, I'd rent it from ya. I'm tired of making other people rich, I'm ready to be on my own. Me and a buddy have been talking about starting a gas monkey type business, start out small, small shop, stupid rod run cars, dropped S-10s, LS powered Dodge Colt, 12valve Red Express clone, just dumb **** to flip at the rod run. Then work our way up to the good builds.

Re:

Tick, tick, tick Mike. Got at least one buyer on the hook. Stop talking amd put your mad scientist skills on display

Re:

****ing amd instead of and. Autocorrect is dumb

Thx for the replies. I have a shop to work out of, but was gauging interest from a bigger pool of people. Not sure if I want to do anything or not, but the land is paid for, the way its laid out I can hardly see it from my house and I'm just wondering about doing something for it to make some money. I'm a contractor, so I could do the work my self. The land is weird, can't put a septic on it, so I can't build a house on it and sell it. I'll keep you posted on it if/when I decide to do something.

1tonrenegade said:
Install one of the 24 hour ice machines! May have some revenue?

I looked into those.

Seemed like a lot of $$ to start up, since you technically can't build your own as the "idea/exection/etc" of a 24hr automated ice shack is patented..

stano said:
The land is weird, can't put a septic on it, so I can't build a house on it and sell it.

This will be a problem. Without a bathroom you have is a storage facility vs a shop/office type of space, and rent will be cheaper than having a property that has has one. Then you get to look at a portajohn sitting outside all the time if somebody does want to rent it and stay there all day several days a week. Don't get me wrong, nothing at all wrong with just a storage facility, they are supposed to be a very profitable business and if I had land to set one up I would.

Take my shop for example, 50x100 metal building, divided in half, each space has an office with a window unit ac (mine has a ductless heat and ac unit that the last mechanical contractor tenant left in it), shop space has a gas furnace for heat. nothing fancy but that bumps rent up 200-300 a month in my area vs just a metal building. My landlord has let me make improvements on my dime, sink in the shop, AC condenser and unit for the shop, extra lights, plugs, alarm, ect. So if I left he would be able to ask more than I pay now because of those improvements. I wouldn't even have considered this place without a restroom.

No ice house, I'm not on a main road, about 1 mile off the highway, still paved, but not tons of traffic. I'm sure the septic will be the main issue, and I won't have a porta pot sitting out there, so I may persue some type of storage, thx for the good info-filled-replies and ideas!!

I saw busted knuckles shop episode with jake burkey and it appeared that he lives in a storage unit shop type deal ? Pretty cool setup though

Re: Re: possible shop rentals

Rockwells607 said:
I saw busted knuckles shop episode with jake burkey and it appeared that he lives in a storage unit shop type deal ? Pretty cool setup though
Commercial storefront/warehouse type space, but yeah.