• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Possible tow rig project, opinions wanted

stano

I'm thinking about adding a tow rig to my herd. I currently have an 04 CTD that I DD and pull my job trailer with. It's 4wd and only has the 4 door. I'd like something with good road manners, loaded or empty that can comfortably haul 4 people.

Not going new truck, I like the older ones and I can't spend ^ of 60k for a truck.

LWB trucks ride better, but they didn't make the mega cab/Long bed in the years I'm thinking of. So, I'm thinking of taking a 2wd megacab and extending it to the 8' bed. I'd like to control the ride quality by linking the rear and going to air bags. Not to slam it, more to have the adjustable ride and basically just level it out.

My question is, what type of link set up should I use? Dbl triangulated 4 link? Single triangulated 4 link? Parallel 4 link with pay hard?

I know there is lots of knowledgable guys on here that see a lot more stuff in real life than I have experience with, that's why I'm asking. I have been reading and looking at pics, but I'd also be curious what says the guys on here say. I have seen lots of your pics and posts and feel I can trust your advice more than "random interwebs expert".

Pic for reference

9f2a00a4772e9c1c6b3604739ba4f46d.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think a 4 link would work. I have seen them on everything from diesel pulling trucks , hot rods, drag cars, and rock crawlers. The guys I have seen around here doing them on pulling trucks either triangulate the top links or run the links parallel and use a pan hard bar. I think the shock/spring/airbag set up would be the most important component to ensure a good ride quality if the links were done right. Of course I am not the most tech savvy person on this forum, I just happened to be sitting here and just saw a truck a few weeks ago that was getting similar work done.

seems like you are making a very simple solution very difficult...why not just do it the way its designed?

bbone said:
seems like you are making a very simple solution very difficult...why not just do it the way its designed?

As in mega cab-short bed?

bbone said:
No i like the idea of the long bed, just use factory leaf springs and be done.

I thought about that, and haven't ruled it out, but I am exploring the options to provide a decent ride empty, but also have the capacity to haul the goose when I wanted. That's why I'm wondering about bags that I could put the ride valve on like a semi that adjusts the bags based on weight.

I'd be a little concerned about a bag/air line failure stranding me too, something to hash out still.

Re:

A coil of air line and a spare bag don't take up much space. But if you use semi truck or medium duty truck bags, I wouldn't be concerned.

If you're not building a show truck that lays frame, you should have it set up so it's drivable with no air in the bags anyway.

I've been hauling for almost 5 years now with a 4link panhard bar set up and semi truck bags with no issues. I used 1 1/4" heims all around. I always carry spare poly line and push lock couplings incase of a line failure. Bags aren't phased much by my trailer and buggy. Not sure what they run on a semi but I'm running at 15 psi empty and around 25 psi with buggy and trailer. Semi trucks run a different setup so I don't know what pressures they run. I looked into a self level kit actually pretty easy to set up but once I found out what the ruck rides best at it's just a simple toggle adjustment to get it there.

Im84 said:
I've been hauling for almost 5 years now with a 4link panhard bar set up and semi truck bags with no issues. I used 1 1/4" heims all around. I always carry spare poly line and push lock couplings incase of a line failure. Bags aren't phased much by my trailer and buggy. Not sure what they run on a semi but I'm running at 15 psi empty and around 25 psi with buggy and trailer. Semi trucks run a different setup so I don't know what pressures they run. I looked into a self level kit actually pretty easy to set up but once I found out what the ruck rides best at it's just a simple toggle adjustment to get it there.

thx for the info, your build was on my mind today as one I needed to check into, I didn't remember many of the details, just the long links.

I can't add a whole lot of help but I will say this. I had airlift bags on my 2500 chevy and always thought it rode like **** but brushed it off because I DD a Tahoe and going from that to a 3/4T truck once a twice a month I thought it was all in my head. Then, I got a 3500 dually and it had bags on it. It rode a million times better than my 2500 but was 7 years newer so I thought that was the reason. I don't recall why, but I took the bags off the dually and drove it and have not put them back on. I don't know if I was doing something wrong or what, but the bags made a terrible ride. I tried different pressures also, and it didn't help. They come with a sticker you are supposed to add to your glove-box or somewhere that tells you to run a MINIMUM of 10lbs. I don't haul more than my jeep, so a 3500 dually was overkill and the bags are not needed anyway, but I wished they didn't affect the ride so negatively so I could have left them on in case I needed them one day.

rpf500 said:
I can't add a whole lot of help but I will say this. I had airlift bags on my 2500 chevy and always thought it rode like **** but brushed it off because I DD a Tahoe and going from that to a 3/4T truck once a twice a month I thought it was all in my head. Then, I got a 3500 dually and it had bags on it. It rode a million times better than my 2500 but was 7 years newer so I thought that was the reason. I don't recall why, but I took the bags off the dually and drove it and have not put them back on. I don't know if I was doing something wrong or what, but the bags made a terrible ride. I tried different pressures also, and it didn't help. They come with a sticker you are supposed to add to your glove-box or somewhere that tells you to run a MINIMUM of 10lbs. I don't haul more than my jeep, so a 3500 dually was overkill and the bags are not needed anyway, but I wished they didn't affect the ride so negatively so I could have left them on in case I needed them one day.

so, if I'm reading this right the 2500=terrible ride, the 3500 with bags=million times better, but the 3500 without bags rode even better once you took them off? hmmmm, maybe I'll stretch the wb and rock out with some leaf springs. I don't plan on hauling anything heavier than I do now with my 3/4 ton truck...........(famous last words.....)

I have a 01 3500 long bed extended cab 4x4 Dodge diesel. It rides horrible with or with out the airlift bags. I have contemplated linking the rear and using a big set of bags. Only time mine rides well is when I have 500 lbs or more in bed.
Bags in the front would be cool, able to lay frame in a 4x4 3500.

stano said:
so, if I'm reading this right the 2500=terrible ride, the 3500 with bags=million times better, but the 3500 without bags rode even better once you took them off?

Correct sir. Here are specs on both since one was a short bed that does play a role.

2000 GMC 2500 4 door short bed

2006 GMC 3500 4 door long bed=much better ride with and without bags than the 3/4T.

Like Hudson1 said, only time you get a good ride is having them loaded.

Re:

I know you're talking 2wd, but many times a shackle flip makes the trucks ride a ton better. Basically putting the shackle in compression.

I would run leafs, spring under, shackle in compression, but a lighter pack that rides well empty. Then add bags for the additional weight.

I wonder how much weight it would take in the bed to notice a difference in the ride? I put a 4x8 piece of 3/8" plate in a 2wd truck to help with traction and use as a bed liner one time. A piece of 1/2" plate would be about 640#'s, wonder if that would help with the ride. In the grand scheme of things, is a dully gonna really notice that extra 600#'s leaving the stop light?

paradisepwoffrd said:
I know you're talking 2wd, but many times a shackle flip makes the trucks ride a ton better. Basically putting the shackle in compression.

I would run leafs, spring under, shackle in compression, but a lighter pack that rides well empty. Then add bags for the additional weight.

I agree

I'm guessing most folks replies are based on experience with helper air bags on leaf setups? In my experience with the air ride mini trucks and stuff air ride setups ride great. All depends on how you set it up. But hauling definitely parallel 4 link in the rear with either a panhard or watts link. Bags over axle for towing but will decrease ride quality, ride quality comes from lever setups (bag on bar setups).

xjtony said:
I'm guessing most folks replies are based on experience with helper air bags on leaf setups? In my experience with the air ride mini trucks and stuff air ride setups ride great. All depends on how you set it up. But hauling definitely parallel 4 link in the rear with either a panhard or watts link. Bags over axle for towing but will decrease ride quality, ride quality comes from lever setups (bag on bar setups).

I had never seen the watts link until a friend was showing some of his suspension setups he has done. Pretty sophisticated and the science behind it and handling is deep. Way over my head.