• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

power brakes on a cj7?

Dents

I just bought a 1983 cj 7 with the 151 ci 4 banger, It has manuel brakes and stereing a buddy gave me a vacume assist canister and master cylinder off of a mid 90's cherokee will this work as a simple bolt in or is this a big pain in the ass? Also any suggestions to put power steering on it its just a dd with 30 inch tires but i would prefer power steering thanks for the help Dennis

I have an 83 as well and used a hydroboost setup from a chevy astro.

BLUF the hydroboost outperforms any vacuum assist I've ever driven and will be my only choice for any future projects. http://www.cjoffroad.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16455&SearchTerms=hydroboost Here is a link to what I did over at CJoffroad.com

Unfortunatly you need a power steering pump to use it, which dovetails nicely into your next question. Find the necessary brackets, pump, and steering box, have some new lines made for starters.

Check the size and spline count on your box, a power box will be different but you can swap the bell coupler for the proper one.

Last edited:
Thanks for the intell did you ever figure out what the problem was ? Was it the swaybar or the lines ? Just curious like I said this is just my dd but I dont want to be blowing up all the stock brake lines cause they are 36 years old thanks again for the intell

Dennis

Latest posts