• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Powerstroke hard start

mudslayer

So awhile back in the stolen post, I had written an article on my dad's truck, jeep, etc being stolen, and the truck was found a year later. We'll during that time dad bought a new truck and jeep, then when the truck was found he did some things to it to fix it back up again and gave it to me, so I could tow my jeep. It had a starting issue, so new glow plugs, fuel filter, and some other minor stuff. Seemed to work for a bit, but it was still warm out, now that winter is here, it does not want to start. If I plug in the block heater it's fine, starts right up. But if I forget, holyshit it will not start. When it finally does fire , a ton of white/grey smoke for a few seconds. Any help would be great :awesomework: forgot it's a 96 f250 7.3 powerstroke 4x4, currently 83k mileage.

Didi you replace the glow plug relay at the same time? What brand glow plugs did u install? Motor craft are the only way to go with these powerstroke.

Try glowing it twice before firing. Should be some sort of glowplug indicator light. Turn the key till it comes on but don't crank. When it goes out, turn the key off and do it again. Maybe even to it a third. See if that makes a difference. I know it makes a world of difference with the 6.0 in the F550 at work.

If you didn't replace the relay, I would start there.

Like Mark said, try an extra cycle to heat the cylinders before you try to start.

The glow plugs stay on longer than the light depending on engine oil temp (up to 2 minutes). On cold mornings I watch my volt gauge and it will jump up a little when they turn off. Also check the voltage drop across the glow plug relay, more than .3-.5 volts and you're heating the relay not the glow plugs. If all that checks out and depending on mileage the next most likely thing is worn injectors, especially if it runs better once warmed up.