• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Project Sexi Sami

Monstercrawler said:
Nice build. I like to see the Zuks built.

Question on the new header you have. Does it hang down any lower than the stock set up did? I've been kicking it around but I don't have much room on my junk with my front links being in the way.

it comes down and turns straight toward the back of the frame, a lot lower than the factory manifold. I'll post a picture tonight

Stuntman Autoworks said:
looks good what color is that? Looks black but in that close up pic it looks like maybe a dark charcoal gray.

just rustoleum hammered black Thanks!

Great build! How are you going to build the roll cage over the cab area & in the back. I'm planning to completely rebuild the cage on my Sammy for about another foot of room from the rear of the seats to the firewall. Being 6'6'' tall is mainly why I'm doing this lol, the other reason is with the wheel base being stretched to 102" the wight distribution is uneven leaving it heavy in the front. I never thought of it being an issue until I sheared the bolts to the front drive shaft at the t-case & had to drive it back to the shop from the rock garden in 2 wheel drive using the rear axle. No problem right? Well due to it being heavy in the front & light in the rear, the rear was all over the place while trying to push the font of the buggy back down the trail. This is an issue I'm addressing with mine.

Depending on how much you plan to stretch your wheelbase & your axle placement - You may already have a plan to keep from having this issue yourself, but thought I would bring it up just in case it hasn't.

Anyway, your build looks great, will love to see the finished product. thumb.gif

Sweet start. I'd be interested in seeing how you run the driver upper. My header sits directly in the way, been considering going back to a stock manifold.

sleepsontoilet said:
Sweet start. I'd be interested in seeing how you run the driver upper. My header sits directly in the way, been considering going back to a stock manifold.

Thanks guys - The mount is on the bottom of the frame rail about even with the header, passenger side was a lot closer trying to clear the driveshaft

20140222_124731_zpsb9d822e3.jpg

20140222_122859_zps95e979a9.jpg

That's cool! got me a set of tons to go under mine, tired of breaking everytime I ride! welding that paper thin sheet metal is a pain in the ass on those sammys!

zukimaster said:
That's cool! got me a set of tons to go under mine, tired of breaking everytime I ride! welding that paper thin sheet metal is a pain in the ass on those sammys!

U got that right, especially with all that undercoat crap on everything, sucks having to clean all that stuff off before every weld

sleepsontoilet said:
I see it now, I was planning on top of the frame near the firewall. You don't think they may be short there? Really digging the work so far.

I don't know how you would clear the motor mounts on top of the frame? I had originally wanted to go on the inside of the frame rail and run the joints horizontal but couldnt sneak them around the header. The links will be short but I think i have the seperation right to account for it.

smurfy90 said:
Lets see some cage work! I cant quit looking at this.

haha - it may be a few days before any real progress on the cag work, i did get the A-pillar started last night and got the dash bar in , but nothing to look at

hope to start on the B-pillar and belt bar tonight and then maybe some upper cage work this weekend or whenever I can get someone to lend a hand

onetoncrawler said:
hope to start on the B-pillar and belt bar tonight and then maybe some upper cage work this weekend or whenever I can get someone to lend a hand

Holla at me sometime...Be glad to come lend a hand. Don't know much but will do what I can. ;D

onetoncrawler said:
I don't know how you would clear the motor mounts on top of the frame? I had originally wanted to go on the inside of the frame rail and run the joints horizontal but couldnt sneak them around the header. The links will be short but I think i have the seperation right to account for it.

haha - it may be a few days before any real progress on the cag work, i did get the A-pillar started last night and got the dash bar in , but nothing to look at

Care to post front link lengths? And what is your projected wheelbase? (if you've already stated it somewhere in this thread, I missed it.)

onetoncrawler said:
I'm with you, it looks like a pain. I've halfway thought of building new motor mounts and sinking the engine back into the firewall. My buggy has the Clayton 3 link and it's outside the frame. Can't go any lower or it'll hit the frame

Draco said:
Holla at me sometime...Be glad to come lend a hand. Don't know much but will do what I can. ;D

Thanks man - sounds good!

TacomaJD said:
Care to post front link lengths? And what is your projected wheelbase? (if you've already stated it somewhere in this thread, I missed it.)

Wheelbase is right around 110 - I can't remember what the link numbers came out to be on the front, they are pretty short but it is set up pretty much the same as Mark's old samurai was and it worked great

Re:

You mentioned mounting the rod ends sideways and I have read about that. It may be something I look into talking with George about when he links my front end. It really helps more on the upper links moreso than the lower links right?

Edit: Also, if per say clearance or mounting room was an issue on the frame side, do you think it would be any good at all to mount them sideways axle side and vertical at frame side?i I figure it would be just as easy to mount sideways at the axle but may be a little more difficult at the frame?

Re:

TacomaJD said:
You mentioned mounting the rod ends sideways and I have read about that. It may be something I look into talking with George about when he links my front end. It really helps more on the upper links moreso than the lower links right?

Edit: Also, if per say clearance or mounting room was an issue on the frame side, do you think it would be any good at all to mount them sideways axle side and vertical at frame side?i I figure it would be just as easy to mount sideways at the axle but may be a little more difficult at the frame?

it is only reccomended to mount them horizontal on the uppers due to rocks hitting the lowers all the time.

but, there is no issue with mounting the uppers horizontal at frame or axle and mounting the other end vertical, the joint still functions the same.

Re:

onetoncrawler said:
it is only reccomended to mount them horizontal on the uppers due to rocks hitting the lowers all the time.

but, there is no issue with mounting the uppers horizontal at frame or axle and mounting the other end vertical, the joint still functions the same.

:dblthumb: