• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Propane freezing??? Please help

Jmsowell55

Ok so propane freezes at tank after about 30 minutes of run time, second propane system I have ran and never ha problem before, water is circulating through evaporator like it should or so I think, line also freezes?? Any info would help at this point!!!!

does it do the same thing with a different tank.I have had trouble with the excess flow valve in the tank before and once had one with a tiny amount of water caused a problem. propane will freeze up at a restriction because it allows it to expand on the other side of blockage.

I've tried two different tanks, same thing, if I'm just playing round the house and never get out of low range I have no problems, but at highway speeds it starts freezing and running like **** within 5 min, is it possible to be getting to much pane and it causing it to freeze?? We took it off my buddies 350sbc, which it never gave any problems, put it on my 396 and it freezes. Not to mention the tanks aren't lasting very long...

Not saying this is your problem, but I've seen a leak at the fitting that screws on the tank cause the line to freeze up right at the tank.

Check your connector on the hose coming off the tank. and make sure it does not have an extra washer stacked inside it. That will allow enough flow for idle and low speeds but lean it out under power.

Also make sure the valves in the bottles you have are not swapped in the ports so that you are pulling vapor instead of liquid. If you have frost building there is liquid vaporizing at that location.

Give me a call if you need to and I will help you sort it out.

Sincerely,

Buddy Gamel
Precision Sales & Service, Inc.
451 64th Place South
Birmingham, Ala. 35212

877-403-7827
205-591-2267, fax

[email protected]
[email protected]
www.alternatefuel.com
www.workhorseservice.com

I'll answer for him sense it's partly my fault... ^^ your spot on with the vaporizing I put tank I at such a level it was pulling vapor an froze it
Spun bottle and gone re route line hope that fixes it after the cage is in :****:

slytowncrawler2 said:
I'll answer for him sense it's partly my fault... ^^ your spot on with the vaporizing I put tank I at such a level it was pulling vapor an froze it
Spun bottle and gone re route line hope that fixes it after the cage is in :****:

What he said and what you said are completely different about vaporizing. There is a liquid port hole and a vapor port hole in most propane tanks. He was stating to ensure that it is on the liquid side, which is the correct side, and not the vapor side. Liquid side has an actual pickup inside the tank, hence the need for proper orientation of the tank when mounted horizontally.

Spinning the tank is going to affect the bottle differently depending on which port the valve is in, liquid or vapor. Vapor will work if you can somehow mount the tank upside down so it can be gravity fed, but I not as reliably as one ran through liquid port with an internal pickup.

Also, I had an issue with mine freezing around the valve on the tank too last year while riding with JohnG and Bob Youmans. I know they remember it, because it would barely run and I had to end up just going back to camp at Morris Mtn. I have not done one single thing to it, and have not had a single issue out of it since, by only cranking the valve a couple turns to turn the flow "on".... I used to turn it until it was all the way open, and that's when it would freeze up, by allowing too much flow like mentioned above in an earlier post.

Hope this helps, but I still think we need to know if you are running your bottles via liquid port or vapor port.

If you open your valve on the tank and it causes fuel starvation the excess flow valve is checking and cutting the flow. It is always best to open the tank valve slowly so the line can fill with fuel gradually and not shut the check valve. But you need to open the valve completely to keep proper flow.

The photo is a cutaway of a propane tank showing the fuel tube. It needs to always be at the lowest point however the tank is mounted.

Attachments

• LPG Tank Cutaway.jpg
    LPG Tank Cutaway.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 164
Re:

^^ that's what I thought about opening the valve all the way, but I guess my 4 banger doesn't suck enough fuel to ever starve itself. I'd say I only open it to 1/4 - 1/3 of the turns it takes to open it until it stops turning.