• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

propane issues??

mudslayer

So I've had the propane out on the trails twice with no issues,(trailered)-- yesterday I decided to drive it in to work,all went fine, went to go home and about 1/2 way home it lost power and would only run at low rpm's. Noticed the connection at the tank was freezing. Seemed to be all right for a couple more minutes then again started to stall. Switched tanks and no problem? Leak at tank?? Seemed to happen only when wot on the freeway,take my foot out of it and would be fine?? By the way the tank that the fitting froze up on was filled on the way to work. Any help would be appreciated.

I've had mine freeze right as the tank nears empty. That's the only experience I've had with freezing. You said though the tank had a fair amount of propane left, so I got no idea

I've had mine freeze right as the tank nears empty. That's the only experience I've had with freezing. You said though the tank had a fair amount of propane left, so I got no idea

Yep,at least 3/4 full when it happened. Also the tank made a pinging noise when I shut it off and back on again? Hadn't heard that noise before!

Could be, the kid who filled it seemed to be a little timid while doing it, now that I think about it I don't think he opened the vent. Usually there's blow by when they fill it, I don't think there was this time.

Could be, the kid who filled it seemed to be a little timid while doing it, now that I think about it I don't think he opened the vent. Usually there's blow by when they fill it, I don't think there was this time.

Yeah seen that. Propane is cheap, purge away. Just empty and refill and let it blow for a while. Might have to pay for a 1/3 of a gal that goes in the atmosphere. Go to a place that train there guys too, no gas station 16 year old:D

Yeah seen that. Propane is cheap, purge away. Just empty and refill and let it blow for a while. Might have to pay for a 1/3 of a gal that goes in the atmosphere. Go to a place that train there guys too, no gas station 16 year old:D

:awesomework: the guy who usually does it was off.

I would guess it was leaking at the connection. I fill my own tanks and if the connection is leaking it freezes while it fills.

Soaped the whole system down and didn't see any leaks?? Called Carey at gotpropane and he said that it sounds like my tanks are drawing the vapor and not liquid. I thought all forklift tanks were liquid draw?The tanks do have both vapor and liquid connections. What's throwing me off is it ran fine on the trail but only on the freeway is when this happens.

Mine does that in Dunes on WOT.
made a Y adapter so it draws from 2 tanks and it stopped. I think to much propane passed through the small outlet on the valve and it freezes it.

Mine does that in Dunes on WOT.
made a Y adapter so it draws from 2 tanks and it stopped. I think to much propane passed through the small outlet on the valve and it freezes it.

:awesomework: that's when it happened both times--WOT. So you have both tanks open at the same time feeding the system? Any valve in between? Got a pic of that Y perhaps?

:awesomework: that's when it happened both times--WOT. So you have both tanks open at the same time feeding the system? Any valve in between? Got a pic of that Y perhaps?

no valves, just made a short adapter to 2 tanks, pieced it together at williams oil and filter in fife/tacoma. if you unscrew one from the tank it doesnt leak out the fitting, so you can still run on one tank.Tanks need to be at same height as they will balance out with each other.

no valves, just made a short adapter to 2 tanks, pieced it together at williams oil and filter in fife/tacoma. if you unscrew one from the tank it doesnt leak out the fitting, so you can still run on one tank.Tanks need to be at same height as they will balance out with each other.

:awesomework: will try that, williams oil did my braided brake lines (cheap). My tanks are mounted vertical,side by side,so same hieght. Thanks!

:awesomework: will try that, williams oil did my braided brake lines (cheap). My tanks are mounted vertical,side by side,so same hieght. Thanks!

Most forklift tanks are mounted horizontal, could this be your issue in that you are running them vertical, while drawing from the horizontal tank outlets??? :corn:

Most forklift tanks are mounted horizontal, could this be your issue in that you are running them vertical, while drawing from the horizontal tank outlets??? :corn:

No, both tanks are universal, I asked Carey at gotpropane and he said that didn't matter,he runs them both ways. He said I may have a vapor tank,which I don't understand,thought forklift tanks were both vapor or liquid draw, my connection is at the liquid port. Dont have a vert/horz connection,just liquid or vapor connections. Propane is all new to me and still trying to understand it.

Last edited:
No, both tanks are universal, I asked Carey at gotpropane and he said that didn't matter,he runs them both ways. He said I may have a vapor tank,which I don't understand,thought forklift tanks were both vapor or liquid draw, my connection is at the liquid port. Dont have a vert/horz connection,just liquid or vapor connections. Propane is all new to me and still trying to understand it.

If it is a used tank it could have a broken dip tube. We had a forklift tank at work that had this happen and it would run fine until half tank and then start drawing vapor and fawk up.

If it is a used tank it could have a broken dip tube. We had a forklift tank at work that had this happen and it would run fine until half tank and then start drawing vapor and fawk up.

Possibly,one tank is new and one used,and didn't pay attention to which tank I was running at the time. Gonna start with the new tank and hit the road for a few, if nothing happens then I'll switch to the used one and repeat.