• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

propane?????

xjpaddler

this has probly been covered a bunch, but I havent found the answers i am looking for.

How much pane, do you typically go through?????

my buggy has a stock 305 and for the most part we crawl, not much WOT. I am going through a tank in less than half a day. and it is very seldom that I am over 2000 rpm usally around 1200rpm. seems like I should get a longer rideing period out of a tank. they are standard forklift tanks.

I dont have a lock off on it at this time, just been turning the bottle off when stopped. does the lock off work as a regulator as well????

I am completely new to pane, so im looking for any advice.

what mixer? if it's a 425 there are two adjustments on it. ones idle mix and the other is wot. if your exhaust smells like propane pretty bad you probably need to back off your idle mix. while a lockoff is a good idea, the vaccum from the motor pulls the propane, so running with out a lockoff isn't your main issue i wouldn't think.

Just from reading through other posts...
CTomlinson said:
i have a 434 sb with 14-1 comp i can get enough propane to flood it out but cant get enough air so i have to run it lean how do you get more air on propane
CTomlinson said:
when i'm at harlan i use 2-3 bottles depend on how much trail riding and it always a long way back out of the hills
COLT said:
When I ran the pane I would go through about a tank and a half a day on a small block.
zukiscott said:
I can ride GRAY ROCK or MORRISS MTN. ETC. , on one 8 gal. tank for 3 days, when I go to HARLAN I use 3/4 of a tank the first day , and then I strap in another full tank for the next day :dblthumb:

That little 1.3 just SIPS propane ...........even turnin 3000 to 5500 RPM ......A LOT :****:

Seems like you're using a lot for what you have. Every time I ask someone about how much they use, I get a different answer. (they all run sbc's though. lol)

wizzo said:
what mixer? if it's a 425 there are two adjustments on it. ones idle mix and the other is wot. if your exhaust smells like propane pretty bad you probably need to back off your idle mix. while a lockoff is a good idea, the vaccum from the motor pulls the propane, so running with out a lockoff isn't your main issue i wouldn't think.

yes its a 425 mixer, since the vacum from the motor pulls the propane, would a pcv valve help???

I will check the idle mix, which way baacks it off?? in or out???

it smells of pane pretty bad so I figured i was running bad rich. I have been wheeling a sammy so the 305 feels to me like I have a hot rod :eek: bbut it may not be doing what it really can be. I think I still need to advance my timeing as well.

From http://fuelsforum.rasoenterprises.co...topic.php?t=80

The idle mixture is the adjustment is that is opposite to what you would normally expect. Screwing it in makes the fuel mixture richer. However, you don't really need to worry about what direction does what. All you need to know is that the mixture is adjusted to give the highest and steadiest reading. I would try an adjustment midway between rich and lean so that you can start your engine. Make your final adjustment when the engine is fully warm.

The power mixture adjustment is the big bolt in the mixer body. Turning this screw out makes the full throttle mixture richer. Impco recommends using a CO analyser for proper adjustment but, until you get to shop with an analyser, you can get by by making sure that you don't run the engine at full throttle for any length of time.

I have also adjusted my power mixture by having my brother keep one foot on the brake and the other on the gas. Obviously, this will only work with an automatic transmission and really depends upon how well you trust your helper. With one foot each on the brake and gas, I adjusted my power mixture to give the highest RPM on the lean mixture side. Not very scientific but good enough for my purpose. I don't recommend it because it is not all that safe.

i ran a pcv valve in one of the valve covers with a hose to the mixer. i'll take some pics tonight if it'd help

sounds like you are rich
the lockoff opens by the vacuum of the motor
it might not be a bad idea to put a lockoff on, i ran without one for a while. i did like you and turned the tank off everytime i got out, i noticed when i turned it back on it would hiss a little, meaning the line was bleeding off. i also noticed when i had my oil pan off that with no lockoff i was getting moisture in my motor which was causing rust to form on the cylinder walls. it would wipe away whenever i turned the engine over but i still didn't like it. all this went away when i put the lockoff on.
i would put one on before i started adjusting anything. just my $.02

with a 427 sbf i could run all day on one bottle no matter crawlin or haulin, unless there was any road riding and then the skys the limit

Do u have a new mixer or a used one. I had a used 425 mixer on my 433 ford and used a bottle an a half in a day. Put a new mixer on and can ride all day on one bottle with 400 hores.

gomer pyle said:
sounds like you are rich
the lockoff opens by the vacuum of the motor
it might not be a bad idea to put a lockoff on, i ran without one for a while. i did like you and turned the tank off everytime i got out, i noticed when i turned it back on it would hiss a little, meaning the line was bleeding off. i also noticed when i had my oil pan off that with no lockoff i was getting moisture in my motor which was causing rust to form on the cylinder walls. it would wipe away whenever i turned the engine over but i still didn't like it. all this went away when i put the lockoff on.
i would put one on before i started adjusting anything. just my $.02

with a 427 sbf i could run all day on one bottle no matter crawlin or haulin, unless there was any road riding and then the skys the limit

this is good to know, mine is doing the dame thing. I put an aluminum intake on and thought it was leaking. but this makes more sense. I have an electric lockoff that is going on this week.

It is a used mixer that was rebuilt, hope I dont need a new one, going to try a few things first.

thanks agin for all the info guys

took pictures but forgot my cord for the camera, so here's some pics i found.

pro-67155.jpg

i used a baseplate like this. the red arrow on the right is where i ran my pcv valve tube to. the red arrow on the left is two ports i blocked off.

Impco-425-3-mod_WEB.jpg

on the mixer, there is only this one port, i had it blocked off also.

i ran my brake booster vacuum to a port on my edelbrock intake.

hope this helps

If it smells of propane at idle, it's rich. I tuned mine with a wideband o2, but it works out pretty close that if you lean it out till the smell goes away (at idle) you're real close. Can't adjust the main mix this way, but could tune it making timed runs or something; it's probably pretty close with the factory setting, unless it's been messed with. Propane has less energy than gasoline, so figure an 8 gal tank being worth about 6 gal of gas. How long could you ride on 6 gal? Prob get most of a day's ride out of a tank mostly crawling with a mild v8. If it makes you feel better, i was only getting about 30 min out of a tank. Going to efi so I can carry more fuel.

Latest posts