• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Purpose Snow Tires (4X4)

ToyBug said:
I decided that if I spend the money :rolleyes: I'd get the **** Cepek Fun Country 44" x 18.5" for a Trail Ready bead locked 16.5" (12" wide) wheel. Floatation, floatation, floatation. :cool:

We're talking about $2500.00 mounted and out the door, so to speak.

We'll see though.....first the buggy has to be done before all the snow melts. :haha:
and a V8 to turn them?

briejer said:
Get 21.5 wide Iroks and go anywhere:D

Yes....Yes they do. They also to take you to the deep stuff that no one else can go and almost made for a very bad day.

ToyBug said:
Answers to part two?

How about learning to manipulate the release valve on your hydraulic jack? :flipoff: Just make the axle the right height - why the hell would anyone try to lift a wheel/tire combo?

If you're really lazy, get some of those car dollies with casters on the bottom. You can unbolt the wheel and roll it sideways right off the studs. Then just roll it right back into place and bolt it up when you're done.

I run grooved 38 15.5 swamper radials mounted on 8" wide rims blue RTV siliconed on, they work realy good. Any tire that airs down good and dosnt come off the bead when you look at it funny will do good in the snow. Generaly it seems to be radials that work well but the IROC bias seem to be an exception. Tires I have seen work extremley well. Swamper radials. Buckshot qr78 radials (dont laugh, they kick ass in the snow) 37" MTR's NOTthe 35's. Gumbo monster mudder radials in 38.5" size but I dont think they still make them.

Tires I have seen and used that SUCK in the snow. BOGGERS :)stirpot: ) buckshot q78 bias:puke: Swamper sx's of varying sizes

And a odball decent tire that nobody would suspect, Wild Country TXR's

The worst tire I have ever run in the snow was a bais TSL.

The best are the 37" MTR and a set of old 36" radial Gumbo Monster Mudders.

Iroks, fun countrys, and BFG muds all seem to do good as well but I haven't run 'em.

My Pitbull Rockers do VERY well in the snow around 1 or 2 psi. They actually buldge out like radials. The best snow tires I have ever seen are 38.5x15 Radial Gumbo Monster Mudders at 1psi. Just last weekend we were hood-deep and there was just NO stopping them. Of course, comparing snow tires is a really subjective thing because once you get a squishy tire, it is all about feel and driving style.

GUMBOs:

attachment.php

Last edited:
KarlVP said:
BFG Krawlers SUCK in the snow too.
I have them and on my rig they do suck. Worst tire I have ever wheeled in the snow. Now for everything else they are flat out the best tire I have ever run.:D

PORTER said:
I have them and on my rig they do suck. Worst tire I have ever wheeled in the snow. Now for everything else they are flat out the best tire I have ever run.:D

I think the Krawler's are MADE for the snow.....compared to the summer racing tires on my BMW 328i I've driving around in for the past 3 days. :mad:

It's all about perspective.

I know they suck porter, just giving ya crap. I guess I have multiple inner bead losses to look forward to. :rolleyes: I'll take the good with the bad.

38x15.5 r15 radial gumbos on a 12 inch minimum wide rim aired down to 2psi. Interco sucks in the snow. Weve had guys run them side by side and the gumbo wins. (although none of them were cut in anyway) You can still get them online to. Little pricey at like 340 a tire. Its all we run around here. The next best to follow are the mud tires like mtr and bfg. I havnt seen the iroks run yet but they do look like theyd be good. Just wish they came in a wider radial version. Id love to get like a 36-42x15.5 r15 radial irok. Just my 2cents

I'd agree with Snowrunner. I learned how to wheel in the Dayton and Walla Walla area.

At that time-ten years ago..........yes a long time ago-many of the Les Schwab guys ran in the deep snow.

They all ran the Gumbo Mudders. I realize that was a while ago, but people tried others but the mainstay there at least was the Gumbo's.

I would say that most any of the larger radials did work, including the swampers in a radial.

FWIW-old data and opinion and all. I did run the Gumbos myself until a year ago and was happy with them.

My next set of large tires will likely be IROKS. I have heard enough good to try them out, I like the idea of them.

Just some thoughts, ROB

Latest posts