• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Q's about toy front housing

dove'd85

4 years ago i beefed up the housing in the front of my 85 toy, 1/4 everywhere

it's been sitting in the garage for almost three years now, and i am planning on installing it in my runner sooner then later

what i am wondering is what is the best way to check the housing to see if it is warped or bent?

i assume a solid bar of a certain dia through the housing? anyone have a tool like this/ or a differant way of doing this, that i can rent or borrow, or bring over a case of beer and my housing and have someone that has done this before look at it for me?:beer:

TIA

james

Hey James,

I had the same problem on my Landcruiser a while back. I was having a hell of a time trying to install a set of Longfields that I bought, and that's when I figured it out. I ended up getting a new housing from a buddy, and added Marlin's gussets near the balls. You could try using a laser level across the whole house and see if there's a bend/drift in it?

David

Check out the build thread on here called "the mistress" I believe its rockmikes build. He did a pretty good job showin how he made sure his was straight.

I little trick I learned form a guy that sells :; 30 spline superaxles is to just stick a stock inner into the third and see if it looks centered in the seal area.

Remember that an axle shaft will have a little play up/down back/forth etc.

If it sits low, then pick it up check its max movement in all directions and see which side gets the closest. Now you know which way its tweeked.

Get a chunk of 5 or 6 feet of 8 inch I beam or simular and get a stout bottle jack and some chain and start bending and checking til its good.

A welded diff will give the least play to figure in.

Hey James,

I had the same problem on my Landcruiser a while back. I was having a hell of a time trying to install a set of Longfields that I bought, and that's when I figured it out. I ended up getting a new housing from a buddy, and added Marlin's gussets near the balls. You could try using a laser level across the whole house and see if there's a bend/drift in it?

David

good idea with the lazer level i wil try that first

Check out the build thread on here called "the mistress" I believe its rockmikes build. He did a pretty good job showin how he made sure his was straight.

yes i no the build i don't have the tooling like he does to check the housing that way
I little trick I learned form a guy that sells :; 30 spline superaxles is to just stick a stock inner into the third and see if it looks centered in the seal area.

Remember that an axle shaft will have a little play up/down back/forth etc.

If it sits low, then pick it up check its max movement in all directions and see which side gets the closest. Now you know which way its tweeked.

Get a chunk of 5 or 6 feet of 8 inch I beam or simular and get a stout bottle jack and some chain and start bending and checking til its good.

A welded diff will give the least play to figure in.

cool thanks brad i'll give that a try:beer:

why do you think it might be bent?
just wondering? i had a hard time pulling my long out on the drivers side last time i did work on my rig.. think i might need to do some checking also..

i got an old housing i will trade you right now straight across no ?'s asked :awesomework:!

why do you think it might be bent?
just wondering? i had a hard time pulling my long out on the drivers side last time i did work on my rig.. think i might need to do some checking also..

i got an old housing i will trade you right now straight across no ?'s asked :awesomework:!

oh so you will reply online but you can't answer a phone:looser::fawkdancesmiley:

ah i don't think it is bent as i have never had a hard time taking axles out of it, but i want to make sure it's straight before i rebuild it and install it in the runner

and i will make you a good deal on a crisp stock 85 front if yours is bent

oh so you will reply online but you can't answer a phone:looser::fawkdancesmiley:

ah i don't think it is bent as i have never had a hard time taking axles out of it, but i want to make sure it's straight before i rebuild it and install it in the runner

and i will make you a good deal on a crisp stock 85 front if yours is bent

:cool: if i need it! i got an old front housing(79 i think) sitting next to the roadrunner
you call? whats up?

my phone is phucked up/ hasnt been recieving calls.. gonna go in today,and have another phone turned on(this one sucks balls)!!

The best way i check them is to take the birf off the inner axle take the seals out of the housing, stick the inner axle in the locker and see if the inner axle is centered in the seal hole of the housing. I can straighten it the way it is.

Im just about to weld my bridge and diff protector on to my axle. How shoudl I go about making sure I dont warp it while I weld?

Yes strip weld it about a 1 1/2" long welds skip about 3" NEVER weld it solid. Never cool it with water. I don't think you need the big guessets on top they bend out on the ends anyway just my 2 cents.

Center of mass

pick the middle of whatever your welding (center of mass) and work your way out either side evenly

my 2 cents