• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

question about rock lights

ok so i am running a 40 amp relay with a 30amp fuse inline between the battery and the relay, from the relay to the lights in one circuit and power from the battery to the switch on one side of the switch/ground/and back to the relay for switchting on the lights? if this doesn't sound right let me no, i am still learning about relays and such.. thanks for all the help guys really thanks alot:awesomework::beer:

here is a diagrham for ya. 2 sources of power. one for switch, fused and one for the relay fused. the relay may have hookups of 1 or 2 for the lights, this particular relay had 2 light hook ups some only have 1. hope this helps.

Last edited:
ok so my switch has 3 poles on it or what ever you call them.. ground/power/load... so am i only going to be using the ground and power with this particular setup? power from the relay to the switch? or would that power from the relay go the the load side and would i need to run a seperate power wire to the power side of the switch:eeek:

If your switch is lighted, it will require another power for the light. I think the Load terminal is the one you want to use, along with the ground.

If your switch is lighted, it will require another power for the light. I think the Load terminal is the one you want to use, along with the ground.

yes it is lighted thanks:cool: now onto finish the lights and maybe get started on my winch mount:stirpot:

Bocsh relay. 30 amp. If its not this then throw it away.

you cant kill a bosch 30 amp relay. Any stereo shop will have them.

The diagram supersami posted is the diagram for a bosch and all the imitations use the same terminal layout.

newer dodge trucks have alot of 5 pin relays stock if in a pinch.

A 30 amp bosch will easily handle a 30-40 amp load. Great product.:beer:

The diagram supersami posted is the diagram for a bosch and all the imitations use the same terminal layout.

newer dodge trucks have alot of 5 pin relays stock if in a pinch.

A 30 amp bosch will easily handle a 30-40 amp load. Great product.:beer:

i have called atleast ten places and cannot get ahold of a 40 amp relay, napa,schmucks,auto zone,highway auto,radio shack,pacific pwr and battery with no luck but they all have 30 amp relay

as of right now i only have 5 55 watt lights hooked up so it looks like i am going to go with a 30 amp relay and order a waterproof 40 amp relay with connecter from the link on the last page

i have called atleast ten places and cannot get ahold of a 40 amp relay, napa,schmucks,auto zone,highway auto,radio shack,pacific pwr and battery with no luck but they all have 30 amp relay

as of right now i only have 5 55 watt lights hooked up so it looks like i am going to go with a 30 amp relay and order a waterproof 40 amp relay with connecter from the link on the last page

The 30 amp will be fine if its is a BOSCH. if its an imitation, then be worried.

Bosch relays are super tough. you will be fine. If you are worried then get a handfull or replacements from the wrecking yard.

+ goes to battery
- goes to ground
load goes to lights.

you can leave the ground wire off if you don't want the light on the switch to work. Either way do not hook it to the lights.

+ goes to battery
- goes to ground
load goes to lights.

you can leave the ground wire off if you don't want the light on the switch to work. Either way do not hook it to the lights.

That's right, pos from battery to switch, then load to relay. I got cornfused.:redneck:

+ goes to battery
- goes to ground
load goes to lights.

don't hook the ground up on the switch?:eeek: the lights are self grounding

Here is a pic I give to all my guys at the shop..

This diagram shows the wiring using a Bosch relay.

foglite.jpg

30A relays are something like $5 from car stereo shops. if you're concerned about current, run 2 of them. But a 30A relay will work fine for a 30A load. They have a bit of safeguard designed into them.

14ga wiring should work fine for all your lighting. Just double-up the wire from the battery to the relay. And run a fuse within 18" of the battery so that you don't start a fire if you pinch a wire against your frame.

Haha, we only use Bosch relays... I forgot to specify the brand :beer:

And we use fusible links instead of fuses and holders because we're cheap and simpler = better. A fusible link will allow for momentary overloading without melting as well. But in a full short-circuit situation, it will melt down before a fire starts.

On the downstream side of the relay, simply fan out your wires so that you run a wire down each side of your rig so that 1/2 your lights are on each side. And as always, fatter wire = brighter lighting.

Cheers.

Latest posts